Best and worst resort

slappy magoo

Saratoga springs was one I never wanted to stay at and AKL was the one I always wanted to stay at. Now reverse them. I will never stay anywhere else but SSR. Love it!!! I wouldnt stay at AKL again. Don't judge a book by its cover.

Just curious about your reverse on AKL. Bad experience or just not what you had thought?

I can't speak for MMlvr but I feel like SSR has an unwarranted red-headed stepchild reputation amongst the Disney resorts. I know the theme isn't as wow-ish as a place like WL, Poly or AKL. I know that it's not convenient for people who want to his the parks from dawn till dusk. And of course, the size and layout often disappoint people who are housed on the outskirts. But it's got its charms. I never had a dirty room or a bad stay. I preferred it more when a: we didn't have kids and b: Pleasure Island was still a thing, but anyone in your party who might prefer shopping and/or golf to E-tickets will be in Heaven (especially after current construction at DtD is done). Plus the spa, and all the dining options a short walk or boat ride away. Certainly makes it easier to do a night at Cirque without worrying about missing the opening. Off-day where you're not planning to go to a park? You've got 2 main pools and a couple of quiet pools, you can easily go catch a flick or fry your brains on olde video games at Disney Quest, and the aforementioned spa. I've loved just soaking in the quiet pool or hot tub at Congress Park watching the lights and people across the lake. The bike rentals are nice, and you're not going to run out of bike path any tie soon. I don't know if it's my favorite place to stay but it's got way more going for it then people seem to think it does.

For all the places I have stayed, I think my favorites would be AKL & BLT. AKL for the sheer magnificence of the lobby and savannahs, and BLT for the views and convenience (and I always dreamed of staying at Contemporary when I was a kid). I couldn't work up enough disdain for any place to stay to call it "the worst" (Aside from AKL & BLT, that includes POR (including when it was Dixie Landings), SSR, VWL and BWV. Also stayed once at Vero beach and 3 times at Hilton Head but I assume those don't count. I spent one afternoon at the Doubletree Suites in DtD, getting an afternoon nap after checking out of BLT but before we wanted to start our drive home (we also had one credit left on our Dining Plan and made reservations for The Wave for dinner that night). Wasn't too keen on that one, room was too warm and for all the talk of it being a "suite" it didn't even have a proper door separating the living area fro the bedroom just a sliding divider that kept no kids' noise out so it wasn't much of a nap. But I didn't really get a chance to explore the rest of the hotel or grounds.

I can say, I have no desire to stay in a Value room beyond a night or two as an add-on to an existing vacation, the rooms too small and the amenities too not-there. And out of all the resorts, the ones I have the least desire to stay are All star Sports and Caribbean Beach.

DC0703

I have never had the opportunity to stay at a deluxe resort, but I'd love to stay at the WL, AKL, Poly and CR. I love resorts with a lot of exotic theming!

Of the places that I have stayed (all budget and moderate resorts), Port Orleans Riverside has always been my favorite. These days its a little more crowded than it used to be, but I always loved the relaxing vibe and the scenery there. They do a very nice job of landscaping at that hotel.

Least favorite are the All Star resorts. Too loud. Also, I don't have kids, and those hotels are much more geared toward families, both in theming and tone.

rob0519

CR Park View is my favorite, no question. The Polynesian is a close second. CRB is the only moderate in which I've stayed. I thought it was fine. My wife still wants to stay at the Grand Floridian. I would prefer to try Wilderness Lodge. We spend more time in our rooms than some people so we have no interest in staying at the All Star resorts.

acishere

The two resorts I would love to stay in if I could afford it is WL and AKL.

A more realistic resort that is on my "Want to" list is CSR.

I wouldn't call any on property resort "the worst." Would I stay at the All Stars or CBR again? No, but it is more personal preference for both. If I'm doing a value I would rather pick one with its own bus line. And if I'm paying for a mod I would like a queen bed. Plus I'm just not a fan of the CBR room designs.

Chezman1399

Favorite: Poly with Yacht/Beach Club a close second
Least favorite: AKL Kidani, I'm a park goer(Open-close), it's too spread out and too far away for me and I don't spend enough time in my room for the animals.

laxchik18

Hands down Wilderness Lodge is my favorite. Love the theme, beautiful place, great location, awesome staff, being the flag family was so fun, food is close and good. Just perfect. We've only stayed at all the DVC along with port Orleans French quarter and all star movies when I was about 4. out of the DVC I would say worst is boardwalk bc of the lack of counterservice dining.

Jennifer66

I would most want to stay at the Yacht Club because Epcot is our favorite. (We're staying at the Dolphin in Aug since rate was so good--location is everything). We've stayed at GF, and I wouldn't again without a super deal. It was just not worth the $ in my opinion. I've stayed in much nicer resorts outside WDW for substantially less.

My least favorite was Pop, which we stayed at our first trip. I'm just not a fan of motels or thin walls.

note2001

I'll play...

One resort I really want to book some day: CR, MK view, club.
Current favorite is a tie: VWL and AKV: Kidani

One resort I'd never stay at again: AS anything. Felt like I was sleeping in a cardboard box.Other than trips when I've or a kid has been ill, it was the worst on property night ever.

Last edited:

TinkerbellKate

Our all time favorite is Wilderness Lodge hands down. Beach Club is a close second (mostly due to its proximity to EPCOT and the Studios.
Our least favorite (and by no fault of its own) is probably All-Star Music. The rooms are just too small when traveling with more than two people and everything seems like a hike. Plus, I have anxiety about doors that open to the outside instead of a hallway.

Kuzcotopia

I'd love to stay at BC. The proximity to Epcot and the pool are my big draws. Unfortunately, My daughter isn't getting as much out of Epcot, so we've stayed at WL last time and on our incoming trip. When she's older, BC is gonna happen!

Not interested in the Poly. It has this weird 70s "Goodfellas on vacation" vibe that feels cheap to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom