Beloved Tourist Attraction Demolished

JoeZerboy

Originally posted by Turbogames
Yeah theres a Ritz Carlton here in my town. They demolished the Ringling Hotel, which was abandoned and in need of repair, but its still sad to see it go.

:( Color me very depressed. I grew up in Bradenton, just north of you and remember the remains of the Ringling hotel and the many attempts to get it listed on the National Historic register so that it could be saved and renovated. :(

Sorry for the off topic post...

Joe

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by grizzlyhall
I gotta go, but I believe it is Cypress Gardens. Phew!

OK Grizzly! Is it Cypress Gardens, or the Langford Hotel? Or something else? You left us hanging after starting this thread...that could be considered annoying. :lookaroun

General Grizz

Original Poster
It's an amusement park in south Central Florida, with water slides, thrill shows, and other neat exhibits. Haven't been there for years. I remember it being charming, but not much compared to Disney!!! :D

marypoppins68

Actually, the story was a little misleading. Cypress Gardens is not going to be demolished. They're just selling off some of their land to developers. This is land that is only used for nurseries now. No part of the park is being demolished or destroyed. Hope this clears things up.

The Mom

Premium Member
It's an amusement park in south Central Florida, with water slides, thrill shows, and other neat exhibits. Haven't been there for years. I remember it being charming, but not much compared to Disney!!! :D

I haven't been in years,but they had lovely gardens with young ladies dressed up as "Southern Belles" (very un-PC) They also had water ski shows...the Go-Gos "pretended" to be them in one of their videos. I also recall an ice show. (indoors, of course!)

It's one of the "original" Florida attractions.

marypoppins68

Originally posted by The Mom

I haven't been in years,but they had lovely gardens with young ladies dressed up as "Southern Belles" (very un-PC) They also had water ski shows...the Go-Gos "pretended" to be them in one of their videos. I also recall an ice show. (indoors, of course!)

It's one of the "original" Florida attractions.

They still do :) They've also added a butterfly garden and a water park for the summer hours. It's locally owned again. I think the new owners are just trying to raise some quick cash. The land that's being sold isn't used for much. Just raising plants at the moment. The park itself is fine. You get more viewers with "beloved theme park demolished" than with the truth ;)

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by marypoppins68

They still do :) They've also added a butterfly garden and a water park for the summer hours. It's locally owned again. I think the new owners are just trying to raise some quick cash. The land that's being sold isn't used for much. Just raising plants at the moment. The park itself is fine. You get more viewers with "beloved theme park demolished" than with the truth ;)

I'd better plan a trip so my youngest can see it before it's "really" demolished! ;) I recall it being a nice "escape" from the intensity of the big theme parks. And thank you for posting this, Griz (even if the news story wasn't quite accurate) because I wouldn't have thought about it otherwise!

WDWManic

Sorry - I was just typing what I heard on the news. They're not always 100% reliable - they said COP was gone for good in October.
Noooo...... damn I will only be able to ride it one last time when I go down in a week!

General Grizz

Original Poster
:brick: :brick: :brick:

There I go again.

I meant LAST October, they said it was closed for GOOD, not seasonally, which shows how sometimes the stations don't give 100% correct information.

However, I will place bets on COP being closed from August - based on lines - or October until Thanksgiving or Christmas holidays. :(

Goofette

It's always sad to see something go that has been there for a long time. I was sad to see some of the original hotels in Las Vegas being torn down. I know they had to make room for the new Greater, Bigger ones, but some of those hotels WERE Las Vegas.

Glad it's nothing at Disney. Thanks for posting the story Grizz.

cm1988

"When we come back..."

...sometimes the stations don't give 100% correct information....
Now there's an understatement.

The formula :rolleyes: for Orlando-area newscasts.

> 3 minutes of lowbrow 'news' (convenience store break-in, mobile home fire, elderly person in squalor with too many pets...)

> Followed by one or two 'teasers' ("When we come back, we'll tell you which Central Florida Attraction is about to have a major expansion"... turns out to be a story on a roadside zoo opening a pelican exhibit)

> Capped off with five minutes of commercials. Mostly local auto dealerships with once-in-a-lifetime sales every weekend.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom