Beloved Tourist Attraction Demolished

General Grizz

Original Poster
I spent the afternoon trying to find more information out:

According to a news station, they will announce that "a beloved tourism attraction will be partially demolished. "

This could be something like Gatorland or a water park - but the word "beloved" makes me think it is Disney. The first thought that came to mind was a specific Disney attraction...but I really have no idea yet.

I'll stay tuned to the news and let everyone know as soon as I find the full story out.

RobFL

Account Suspended
'Tis mine, 'tis mine!

Do a search on the forum for "Nostalgia-nazis" and you'll find the thread. I use it in a post toward the end.

-Rob

Testtrack321

I don't know Gizz, I doubt Disney would announce something via a news network. They would instead make a flashy press release and put a meet n' greet where it used to be.

If it is Disney, here are some of my places...

River Country
Jungle Cruse
Tom Sawyer Island

They all have rumors attached to them for upgradeing. But the preview sounded like a park or a multi attraction pavilion.

RobFL

Account Suspended
Wonders perhaps?

Which, to make a point, i first tried to tell you all about in the nostalgia-nazi thread and no one beleived me.

-Rob

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I don't think it'd be River Country... not vie regular demolition anyways. The runoff into Bay Lake would be tremendous and quickly noticeable

jmarc63

Luxury Regent hotel planned for property in Winter Park

By Jack Snyder | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted July 20, 2002

A unit of hospitality giant Carlson Cos. will operate the new hotel to be built on the site of the former Langford Hotel in Winter Park, the developer said Friday.

Regent International Hotels operates luxury hotels worldwide, including properties in Singapore, Jakarta, Bangkok, Berlin, New York City and Beverly Hills, Calif.

"Regent is a true luxury brand," said Mark Ellert, president of Aztec Leisure Corp. of Fort Lauderdale, a partner in Langford Development LLC.

Minneapolis-based Carlson Cos. is one of the largest privately held corporations in the United States. In addition to hospitality, it's also involved in marketing and travel. Besides Regent International, its hospitality properties include Radisson Hotels & Resorts, Country Inns & Suites by Carlson, Park Plaza and Park Inn hotels.

The Winter Park City Commission will consider Regent International for approval next week, Ellert said.

When the developers were getting development approvals from the city, commissioners wanted to know which company would operate the hotel. Because an operator had not been signed, Ellert gave the names of three companies with whom he was planning to negotiate.

None of the three worked out, so the commissioners must OK Regent.

"We can't fathom there would be any concern," Ellert said. "This is a five-star operator."

The developers have been working on the deal for more than 18 months. They completed the purchase of the old family-owned hotel on four acres at 300 E. New England Ave. for $10 million last month.

The Langford Hotel operated from 1956 until its closing in 2000.

I saw thisa in the sentential as one posibility

Langford Development LLC, which includes Orlando real estate investor Jim Heistand, plans to develop a 150-room hotel, spa and 23 luxury condominiums on the property.

Ellert said the new hotel will be called The Regent Winter Park Hotel Spa and Residences.

A sales office is to open on Park Avenue in downtown Winter Park in September. Construction on the hotel should start by next summer, Ellert said.

Jan Nichols, president of Winter Park-based Nichols Hospitality Consulting, said the hotel will target leisure guests as well as corporate groups. Nichols did a feasibility study for Regent before the company signed with the developers.

Jack Snyder can be reached at jsnyder@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5094.
Copyright © 2002, Orlando Sentinel

CmdrTostada

Yeah theres a Ritz Carlton here in my town. They demolished the Ringling Hotel, which was abandoned and in need of repair, but its still sad to see it go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom