beignet's and Port Orleans

We had them when we stayed at POFQ in December, we thought they were all right. We are spoiled though, we used to live in Slidell right outside New Orleans and the ones in Disney just don't compare to the ones from Cafe Du Monde or Cafe Beignet in the French Quarter. In fact, my dad makes better ones on Christmas morning every year.

DisneyGator

I can't wait to try them! I am staying at POFQ for the first time this weekend....I will definitely be using one of my dining plan snacks on this!!!

Philhar-Fanatic

I grew up eating Beignets being from a Cajun family. I have to say I was very disspointed in the one's from the French Quarter. The consistancy of the dough was very tough and rubbery. Didn't have much flavor either. They weren't terrible but I wouldn't get them again by any means.

a2grafix

The beignets served at POFQ are simply deep fried little "pillows" of dough with no filling. They are then buried in powdered sugar and are quite tasty. :slurp:

Could not have said it any better myself. The beignets at WDW compete with the beignets served at Cafe Du Monde in New Orleans.

RiversideBunny

The Disney chefs try hard but don't always have experience with particular regional foods.

Once at the Crystal Palace we asked for and got the recipe for the Puffed French Toast. It's great.
The chef then asked us how to make grits. The grits on the buffet were very watery and thin and he wanted help.

:)

Chrononymous

awww man...now I have a craving!

I remember years and years ago, eating them at PO at Bonfamilles...when it was open.

They were fresh and came automatically with every order...like a fried sugar surprise!

and they were sooooo good. I wonder if it's the same recipe...or if they make them differently now?

I wanna go find out....

goofykt

We live in New Orleans so I’m going to take a stab at giving you a good description. :)

A traditional beignet is a sweet food, not a savory. It’s a deep fried ball of dough, but I wouldn’t compare it to a donut because they’re not as dense or cakey. The inside is lighter and airier, and the outside has a bit of crispiness to it. I guess the best thing I can think to compare it to is a funnel cake. Think of it as a ball of funnel cake with a small mountain of powdered sugar on top.

If they’re greasy, then WDW must make really crappy ones because they shouldn’t be. I imagine a greasy beignet would be pretty disgusting!

As for crawfish, the tail meat is delicious, but I shudder to think of s__________g out what’s in the head cavity like most people do down here...​

a2grafix

They are the same, they use Cafe Du Monde's mix.

That would explain when I tasted 3 beignets during my August 2008 trip. Nice dining outside during a break (eye of tropical storm-ish) of Tropical Storm Faye, and then taking a stroll through the French Quarter during my "rainy day" resort hop-fest.

Though I have not purchased Cafe Du Monde's mix at the local grocery store, planning a trip to Biloxi and New Orleans this fall. Cafe Du Monde, Jackson Square, the Gumbo Shop, Acme Oyster Co., and The Shed (in Ocean Springs/Biloxi) are on my to-do list.

goofykt

That would explain when I tasted 3 beignets during my August 2008 trip. Nice dining outside during a break (eye of tropical storm-ish) of Tropical Storm Faye, and then taking a stroll through the French Quarter during my "rainy day" resort hop-fest.

Though I have not purchased Cafe Du Monde's mix at the local grocery store, planning a trip to Biloxi and New Orleans this fall. Cafe Du Monde, Jackson Square, the Gumbo Shop, Acme Oyster Co., and The Shed (in Ocean Springs/Biloxi) are on my to-do list.

This has nothing to do with the thread, but you should try Luke or EAT instead of the Gumbo Shop. Both are in the Quarter and the prices are about the same, but the food is a lot better and you get a more authentic New Orleans experience IMHO. Luke is a John Besh restaurant and I've never had a bad meal there, and EAT is a cute little neighborhood place with some of the freshest food around. They have a good mix of New Orleans style dishes & Southern comfort foods. The staff is awesome and they make everything from scratch...even the mayo. (and no I don't work at either place :)...I just like helping them out...esp. EAT)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom