Behind the Scenes Haunted Mansion Tour

HMF

We finally had our tour of the Haunted Mansion. After an early start to the morning, we met our Ghost Host tour guides in the Utilidoors of the Magic Kingdom promptly at 6:50 AM. We proceeded to the mansion for our tour. Here is the group:

154170_3904628149179_920428973_n.jpg

Our tour started as the ride starts, in the main entrance where the changing portrait hangs over the fireplace. Our hosts showed us where the hidden Mickey's are located in this room (you have to look very close to find them). We then moved into the stretching room. This was a unique experience as we were asked to lie on the floor as the room started to stretch. Everyone is always in a hurry to get to their Doombuggies, and miss hearing the gargoyles talk to you. We continued to lie on the floor as the room reset. If you do not like enclosed spaces, watching the ceiling come back down at you, may not be your thing. We were allowed to take flash pictures during our tour:
397572_3904631029251_1571175781_n.jpg

431552_3904632229281_1471069870_n.jpg

480101_3904633109303_221559286_n.jpg

59549_3904632869297_455773765_n.jpg

64659_3904633549314_91817897_n.jpg

My lovely wife watching the room reset.

We then proceeded to the queue area. Our hosts proceeded to tell us that there are over 200 ghosts in this area alone. If you look closely at the woodwork, you will see them. More flash pictures of some of the portraits in the area:

312398_3904633949324_831111502_n.jpg

74165_3904634749344_1482099673_n.jpg

537411_3904634349334_1523710141_n.jpg

Our walking tour began of the ride. The first scene we were told about was the floating candles:

74386_3904634589340_200822616_n.jpg

It is amazing how easy they do it. And after 41 years of operation, one of the few that never breaks.
Flash photos of the portraits where the Ghost Host in your Doombuggy tells you NOT to take flash photos:
71499_3904635949374_279505946_n.jpg

We were able to walk up an touch these portaits. We were told how the lightning effect makes the portaits change into their immortal images.

Next we went to the Library. Most of the scene is painted on the wall, and there are very few real books in this room. There are however, two hidden Jack Skellington's in this room (and of course Donald), you need to have a keen eye to find them (hint: one is on the floor). The busts that follow you around the room are remarkably simple in how they work. They do not actually move at all:

23344_3904636069377_1145881252_n.jpg

We actually got the chance to walk up and touch the busts.

Next we went into the Music Room. Sorry the photo isn't very clear. There are hidden Mickey's in this room as well:
408522_3904636349384_819134012_n.jpg

Next stop was the never-ending stairs.

64973_3904636749394_1662751421_n.jpg

More to follow. I need to get ready for work at the Animal Kingdom bus hub.
I always enjoy analyzing Mansion photos so I am anxiously awaiting the rest.

FireChiefGoofy

Original Poster
Alright, here we go. I don't have to be to AK until 5 PM, so I can finish this up for you guys.

We continued walking into the area where the Endless Hallway is located. Although it looks like it is endless, it is only about 30 feet long. There is a mirror at the end behind a scrim that makes it look like it goes on forever. The back of the floating candles are painted black so you don't see the reflection in the mirror. Couldn't grab a flash photo of the hall because of the mirror.

379336_3904636989400_641624016_n.jpg

On a side note, the Imagineers originally wanted a live person to be in the suit of armor in this scene. It was tested in Disneyland, but was scratched after several guests attacked the armor out of fear.

We moved into the Conservatory and learned the history of the gentleman in the casket. Story is that he dies in the winter when the ground is hard and frozen. He is placed in the coldest room in the house, the Conservatory. Flowers are placed around him to keep the odor down until they can bury him, but he is impatient and tries to join the other happy haunts. The raven's name is Lucifer, and each cast member on the opening team each day pet Lucifer. The one day they did not pet Lucifer, the ride was down for five hours. Needless to say, we all pet Lucifer as we went by. He makes several appearance in the mansion.

537340_3904637149404_1740300475_n.jpg

For those of you that miss the Hatbox Ghost, he is still in the mansion, you just need to know where to look. Here's your hint, it's in this area:

304187_3904637829421_2030883405_n.jpg

486027_3904637509413_1963648451_n.jpg

Next was Madame Leota. We were told that there is a bounty on Leota's head on the internet. Up to $500,000 to anyone that can steal her head and bring it back. How do you get it out of the park,

Security: "Excuse me, where did you get that giant ball?"

Thief: "It was on clearance at the Emporium."

Madame Leota was also refurbish when the mansion was in 2007. The projection camera is actually inside her head and feeds a 1080p image. There is also a significant drop between the Doombuggies and Leota's table. One guest tried to jump from their Doombuggy to Leota's table, which resulted in a trip to the hospital and over 40 stitches.

(There are intrusion alarm mats approximately every 3-4 feet under your Doombuggy, so don't even think of trying to get out. We were setting them off all morning)

582798_3904637869422_2060289222_n.jpg

32175_3904638309433_1321324229_n.jpg

Now we were not allowed to take photos in the Ballroom, but we were given the opportunity to go ON the the Ballroom floor. The way the ghosts appear in this scene is incredibly simple. Your Doombuggy is actually above the animitronics, and when a light shines on them, they appear in the glass making it look like they are in the room.

There are a couple of stories associated with this scene that have absoulutely nothing to do with the mansion story line. Personal stories. In 2000, a frequent Disney World guest and avid Huanted Mansion fan passed away. Her family asked if they could spread her ashes inside the ride. Disney's answer was no. They did however make a counter offer. Since 2000, her obituary memorial card has been kept under one of the plates in the Ballroom.

The second involves a your International College Program cast member that was working at the mansion in 2007. While walking home from the store, she was struck by a car and killed on Route 535. The loss was devasting as she truely loved her role at the mansion and the mansion itself. Her memorial card and picture are kept in a book on a table behind the main ballroom table. It was very moving to see our hosts choking up because they all worked with this young woman.

We then moved into the Attic. There are three hidden Nightmare Before Christmas items in this scene. I tried to capture a hidden Sally, but the camera didn't focus quick enough. She is in the first "wedding" scene on a shelf:
555422_3904638909448_1111963784_n.jpg

We then moved into the Cemetery. As you leave the Attic, your Doombuggy goes through the window backwards. This symbolizes your death, which is why this guy is scared of YOU as you ride by:
734059_3904639789470_1048395786_n.jpg

The dog's name is Bones. There are actually real dog treat right under his nose, and if he only look down and eat them, he wouldn't be hungry. They are actually placed there as a snack for the K-9 Security dogs that come in from time to time to do their security sweeps. The skin on the gravedigger feels incredibly real.

The man second to the left in the Grim Grinning Ghosts (you know, the broken one), is better known for singing "You're a Mean One Mr. Grinch," and the voice of Tony the Tiger (they're grrreeeaaattt). And it is not modled after Walt Disney, they just happened to look alike.

25991_3904640149479_1471173455_n.jpg

Hidden Mickey

734173_3904639949474_569431645_n.jpg

Next up were the Hitchiking Ghosts. Very different with the building lights on. All of the Hitchiking Ghosts as well as the ghosts in the cemetery scene wear translucent raincoats coated in a special paint. When lit properly, they give off their ghastly glow.

408509_3904640629491_219685649_n.jpg

Finally was the area where a ghost follows you home. This is done with the latest in digital technology. There is actually a full width 1080p HD television screen on the other side of the mirror that the ghost appear and interact with you. This area is being upgraded to include a Photopass+ option. No word yet as to then this will be available.

I hope you all enjoyed. I didn't want to go give away many secrets and ruin the ride for people. Keep a good eye open when riding the Haunted Mansion. It is very detailed in every way. A chance of a lifetime that was offered to my wife and myself as Cast Members. Thanks for reading!

harveyt0206

Loved it!! Thank you so much for sharing. I imagine that if they offered this tour to the general public it would sell out every time.

harveyt0206

I really dislike the digital Hitchhiking Ghosts. I was intrigued by the idea at first, but when you actually see them, they are actually less convincing than the originals. Fail!

I have to agree with you. Yes, the new digital ghosts are more "interactive", but I still like the old version better. They had a creepier, haunted feeling to them. I think the old version was much more in keeping with the overall tone of the attraction. And it is so disappointing when you get to that final scene and the projection isn't working, which happened twice during our last trip. That was never an issue with the old version.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
The second involves a your International College Program cast member that was working at the mansion in 2007. While walking home from the store, she was struck by a car and killed on Route 535. The loss was devasting as she truely loved her role at the mansion and the mansion itself. Her memorial card and picture are kept in a book on a table behind the main ballroom table. It was very moving to see our hosts choking up because they all worked with this young woman.
Actually, this happened just last year in April of 2012.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I really dislike the digital Hitchhiking Ghosts. I was intrigued by the idea at first, but when you actually see them, they are actually less convincing than the originals. Fail!
To each their own, I suppose, but...
I think the true sign of "progress" is this: if we had STARTED with the digital projections (impossible, I know, but just go with it), and switched to the old way, can you imagine how dissatisfied you would be? This just goes to show that what we have now is definitely a step up.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Loved it!! Thank you so much for sharing. I imagine that if they offered this tour to the general public it would sell out every time.
This would be harder to book than BOG or breakfast with Cindy, for sure.
I would love to do ths tour, and a similar one through PoC.

CP_alum08

Thanks for the story and pictures. I think a Photopass option would be really fun for HM. I only have one ride photo from a few years ago but I could definitely see getting another if it were from HM.

Chrononymous

Oh no! This ruins the attraction for me! :eek:

I'm just kidding of course...I love all the photos and scenes and secrets!

Such an amazing tour! It's cool to see Leota with the flash! As well as the details in some opf the props, like the portraits. Very awesome!

And I do love that the park honors the passing of a CM in such a sweet way...even if it is heartbreaking.

George Lucas on a Bench

To each their own, I suppose, but...
I think the true sign of "progress" is this: if we had STARTED with the digital projections (impossible, I know, but just go with it), and switched to the old way, can you imagine how dissatisfied you would be? This just goes to show that what we have now is definitely a step up.

I'm going to call you out on this. I'll go along with your impossible scenario and we'll imagine that Haunted Mansion was also impossibly created in the last few years. If the Imagineers ditched digital screens with toony CGI for more traditional hitchhiking ghosts as we saw in the original version, I believe it would be positively received. People would ride by the mirrors and see the effect three-dimensionally from angles when looking from the side, as opposed to obvious screens. Also, they could likely do something cool with modern technology. We might not see people's heads being throw around, but I suspect they could retain that modern lunacy and blend it with advanced animatronic figures.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom