Beer bottles and gang fights not your thing?

hack2112

There was a remark about the parking garages not having any lights. I've been to HHN annually since 2004, and the past few years I've stayed until closing, which this year, was at 2:00 AM. The garages are lit up like it's 12:00 noon.

Also, one of my friends had hurt her toe this year, and there was security with bandages the moment we left the house. All we had to do was ask. I think they really stepped it up on security this year. Also, I enjoy my Rocky Horror Tribute Show, and all of the adult situations that go with it.

Now, where can I go see Repo! The Genetic Opera?

agent86

We did both parks in one day in October. Granted we didn't do everything

This is exactly my point. These two phrases ("We did both parks in one day" and "We didn't do everything") always seem to go together when discussing Universal. Newsflash: You can do any park (be it Disney or anywhere else) in under a day if you "don't do everything". Being able to do Universal in under a day doesn't make USF and IOA lesser parks. In fact, it may actually say something about their efficiency.

Interestingly, I was just there in August with my girlfriend and I discovered that August is apparently a very slow time in Orlando. We went on a spur of the moment trip and got a killer deal on our hotel, airfare and rental car. People had told us that it would be slow because they don't tend to have as many conventions that time of year, and also kids are just returning to school. I have to say, that was excellent advice and it was definitely the time to go. We will go in August again next year without question. Our hotel (the Orlando Peabody) was like a ghost town and it's a beautiful, luxurious hotel.

We only had 3 days total, so we definitely had to maximize our time. Since my girlfriend had never seen Animal Kingdom or either of the Universal parks, those are the places that we visited. At Animal Kingdom we arrived about an hour after park opening and left about 2 hours prior to park closing. In that time, we did all of the major attractions (i.e. Everest, Safari, Dinosaur, Kali, Nemo musical, It's Tough to be a Bug), some of them multiple times, and we did most of the minor attractions/shows, and also had time to enjoy a turkey leg, and two sit down meals, plus some quality time just walking around the park and taking tons of pictures. The fact that we were able to do all that in a relatively short time is not a commentary on Animal Kingdom's "lack of things to do", but rather the fact that the park was slow, we used fastpasses, and also the Cast Members' efficiency.

The following day we went to Universal. We got to IOA as soon as the park opened and did Hulk twice (walked on both times). Then we purchased Express Passes, which only allow you to skip the line on each attraction one time. Using the Express Passes, with the parks relatively dead, and only going on each ride once (with the exception of Hulk at the start of the day), and staying until closing time, we still were not able to see everything. Granted, we also stopped and ate at Mythos, which took about an hour from the time we walked in until we left. The only other meal we had that day was a turkey leg at USF. We also did the Universal parks at a somewhat faster pace than we had done Animal Kingdom.

So I guess my point is that when people say that both parks can "easily" be done in one day, I find that to be a bit of a stretch. Is it possible? Sure. But when people accomplish this, I tend to think they are probably racing through, skipping a lot of stuff that they can later come here and post "didn't interest" them, and generally fail to give Universal a fair chance.

kcnole

The fact that we were able to do all that in a relatively short time is not a commentary on Animal Kingdom's "lack of things to do", but rather the fact that the park was slow, we used fastpasses, and also the Cast Members' efficiency.

I actually disagree with this. The problem that DAK has is about the same problem that IOA has. The attractions they do have are very good (Everest, Safaris, Dinosaur, Nemo, Kali River Rapids vs Hulk, Dueling Dragons, Spiderman, Dudley, Popeye, JPRA, Poseidon, Cat in the Hat) but there's just not enough attractions to keep you interested all day long aside from the animals. In fact when you look at the comparison, IOA has many more attractions than DAK does.

Now that's the catch I guess, if you love just spending time looking at animals then you could spend days in this park. If that thing really isn't what you're into though and you just enjoy them as added theming, the park can be done in a little over half a day. What DAK needs is a couple of nice, simple air conditioned C-ticket Dark rides to add to what it has to offer. Almost everything they have in the way of rides (except for Primeval Whirl) is a D or E ticket attraction. They need to add some smaller rides to add to the overall attraction count.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I too had a bad weekend at Universal at the end of November, some greeting faced prude got all arsey cause I was singing a few songs and doing my best "Urban" impersonations. There dirty looks really spolied my night on the beer. Ok I may have used some industrial language, but lets face it most people have done it as well as saying it.

Absimilliard

I personally boycott Universal Orlando, but it is due to a particular situation that happened a few years ago.

I go with my mom (who travels in a wheelchair) to the parks there and the Guest Services Team Member is all "you don't need any special accomodation! The whole park is ADA accessible!". Turned out we had a pretty bad day, as between sidewalks at IOA that are dangerous for wheelchairs (Marvel Superheroes Island), steep and tight lines, their definition "of ADA accessible" is pretty loose...

Flash Forward to 2005, we return and we return to Guest Services at IOA. I'm willing to give em a chance and see what they can do. But, I was shocked at what the team member would say: "Oh! You're in luck! Since 2003, Universal has spent millions of dollars on making the parks ADA accessible". I asked him to repeat that and he did. I then called out his lie, telling him they told us in 2003 they already were ADA accessible! I then asked him to either refund our tickets or give us a way to avoid the lines for the few attractions my mom does. He quickly gave us an "alternate entrance" pass and sent us on our way, before I asked any more questions.

JT3000

I then asked him to either refund our tickets or give us a way to avoid the lines for the few attractions my mom does. He quickly gave us an "alternate entrance" pass and sent us on our way, before I asked any more questions.

The parks have always been ADA accessible, but regardless of what he told you, this was a pretty silly response. They had no reason to give you a refund. Universal's parks are infinitely more handicap friendly than Disney, and you were upset about a few SIDEWALKS? Seriously? :lookaroun You didn't have to use them. That's what the roads are for. I assure you, nothing's going to run you over. I also don't know what you mean by "steep" or "tight" lines. Very few of the queues have inclines, and they're no different than what you'd find at Disney.

Absimilliard

The parks have always been ADA accessible, but regardless of what he told you, this was a pretty silly response. They had no reason to give you a refund. Universal's parks are infinitely more handicap friendly than Disney, and you were upset about a few SIDEWALKS? Seriously? :lookaroun You didn't have to use them. That's what the roads are for. I assure you, nothing's going to run you over. I also don't know what you mean by "steep" or "tight" lines. Very few of the queues have inclines, and they're no different than what you'd find at Disney.

If the park were always ADA accessible, then why did he lie to us in 2005, stating they had spent millions of dollars in 2005 to "make the park ADA accessible"? Also, the parks are rather flexible with "ADA accessible", as I know people with wheelchairs forced to crawl up the main line of Hulk (good luck doing that) while there is a perfectly good elevator going straight to the load side of Hulk.

You're sure Universal is more accessible than Disney? Sure about that? There are a lot more attractions at Disney someone can experience without having to transfer out of the wheelchair. Soarin', Everest, Mission: Space, etc. all have wide, mostly flat lines. Its only the older attractions like Spaceship Earth, Big Thunder Mountain RR, etc. that the lines can't be modified and in that case, they just send you straight to the exit. There's a reason why WDW gets rave reviews from disabled.

Queues with inclines at IOA: Dueling Dragons, Hulk, Dr. Doom Fearfall, Ripsaw Falls, Bilge Rat Barges. That's over half the attractions there!

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
You're sure Universal is more accessible than Disney? Sure about that? There are a lot more attractions at Disney someone can experience without having to transfer out of the wheelchair. S

Perhaps they could fit some sort of bracket that could just hitch a chair to for the Hulk and DD, DDFF, that would save transferring

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
It sounds to me like someone went to IOA with a chip on their shoulder to begin with.

Don't get me wrong, for I am all for the ADA, but why should someone in a wheelchair have to AVOID the lines completely? That was not the spirit of the act, but to give them equal access. Let them wait the same length of time as anyone else.

agent86

It sounds to me like someone went to IOA with a chip on their shoulder to begin with.

I agree! Add that to the list of biases against Universal.

Don't get me wrong, for I am all for the ADA, but why should someone in a wheelchair have to AVOID the lines completely? That was not the spirit of the act, but to give them equal access. Let them wait the same length of time as anyone else.

Correct. ADA happens to be an area that I deal with in some frequency in my job, so I happen to know quite a lot about this topic. And a VERY common misconception about ADA is that it's designed to somehow give advantages to the disabled. In reality, it is just as you stated... equal access. That doesn't mean skipping the lines, as a lot of people tend to think it means.

EvanAnderson

The ADA Laws are designed to not treat anyone with a disability different from anyone else. Therefore if they have no pass from guest services stating elsewise, they are to use the normal line like everyone else. The reason for the elevator in Hulk's queue is if guests have express pass and have a wheelchair, they use the elevator because the express line has stairs. Same with Doom. This also elimanates people just renting a wheelchair and getting to bypass the lines like at Disney.

Splash Mountain is not ADA accesible. both FastPass and regular lines have stairs. This is the same for Big Thunder Mountain. Space Mountain's FP line is the only one available for wheelchairs because its wide enough. The tommorowland transit authority has NO way to reach the ride unless up the slanted moving walkways. Also Toy Story Midway Mania has both lines go up and down stairs to reach the loading area.

Also when I worked monorails, I learned that the monorail station at the Transportation and ticket center has ramps that are too steep for ADA. yet they would have to completely redo the entire complex to fix it, so they voted no.

It sounds like someone was upset they didnt get to skip the line because of their wheelchair.

EvanAnderson

I then asked him to either refund our tickets or give us a way to avoid the lines for the few attractions my mom does. He quickly gave us an "alternate entrance" pass and sent us on our way, before I asked any more questions.
Dang. Glad I didn't travel with you. He probably gave them to you as quick as he could to avoid getting chewed out by you. Is your motto complain and get what you want?

Hulk Smash

I've read through this entire post and just had to put my two cets in. Having worked for both Disney and Universal, (and even, oh no, Six Flags!!), I can never understand why people have to bash any oth them. Each park excels at something. I have a great time whenever I go to any theme park. They al have their good days, and bad days. Also, just try to remember that if you come across a rude employee, they really don't mean it. They are just frustrated dealing with thousands of people asking them the same questions all day. (I am not complaing or making excuses, I love my jobs in the parks). I just say, forget about who own the park and just go out and have a great day!

^Um, being asked the same question over and over again isn't a good reason for an employee to be rude, regardless of where they work. Especially when working in a theme park and being aware that people will be asking you silly questions all day. I've worked for Disney and other parks and I would never try and justify rudeness by the guests innocent actions.

kcnole

Have you never been rude to anyone a day in your life at your job ever? I know we expect them to be magical all day long. I know for a fact that there are days when I'm at work and don't feel very well, maybe I just got chewed out by my boss for something I didn't do wrong and someone asks me a question that just sets me off wrong for some reason. In response I'm a bit rude. I didn't mean to be, I was just having a bad day. CMs aren't animatronics, they're humans, and they're entitled to a bad day just like I am from time to time.

I try to give them the benefit of a doubt. I could have just caught them at a really bad time. Maybe they just had to deal with some dumb tourist who cursed them out over something that really wasn't their fault at all just literally a second before I walk up to them. Unfortunately they're not going to be at their best in that moment.

I think sometimes we expect much more out of these employees than we ever expect out of ourselves at work just because they work for Disney. Nevermind that they get paid peanuts and are often treated like crap by both the customers and management. It's Disney (or Universal) and they're supposed to make my day magical.

When you take a job with Disney (or any other park for that matter) you're aware of the pay and you're aware of your duties. Of course every employee is going to have a bad day and not always be perfect but that doesn't mean we should justify bad behavior or excuse them because the pay is low or because they deal with tourists all day. That's all I really mean is that we shouldn't accept a rude CM's behavior just because someone asked them a silly question. It's still rudeness. Having a bad day is an excuse to not to absolutly perfect but it shouldn't be an excuse to ever be rude to a guest.

kcnole

No, but everyone is rude from time to time, sometimes you don't realize it. I guess it depends on how rude they are. I'm not going to come online and complain or go to guest services and try to get someone fired because they're at work and have a bad headache. They still need to be cheerful and helpful, but no one is going to be able to meet that standard every day. I don't think that means they're allowed to be rude to guests all day, but everyone has a bad moment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom