Beach resort vs. Yacht club

CaptainAmerica

That's funny because you TELLING me that I'm WASTING a day on a pool day rubbed me the wrong way, so I guess we are even.
tenor.gif

DisneyJoe

Of course. I'm just sharing what I found to work the best for me and my family. If I got snarky, I apologize. @mbtohill rubbed me the wrong way with his "easy tiger..." comment.
LOL, I understand - just imagine, on my past trip in August, that I had completely planned out with a spreadsheet and everything, my almost 16yo son taking control of things with the MDE app - I started to get snarky, but then I took the spreadsheet and tore it up and tossed it and put him in charge - the only things he couldn't touch were a few ADRs. We had an awesome time.

epcotisbest

Of course. I'm just sharing what I found to work the best for me and my family. If I got snarky, I apologize. @mbtohill rubbed me the wrong way with his "easy tiger..." comment.
That's funny because you TELLING me that I'm WASTING a day on a pool day rubbed me the wrong way, so I guess we are even.

I wonder if there are any people on here who enjoy staying at Disney resorts who enjoy pool time more than theme park time? Maybe there are people who have gone to WDW, spent an entire week there and never once set foot in a theme park, or maybe just gone to one park one day because they spent the rest of the time just enjoying the resorts.

DisneyJoe

I wonder if there are any people on here who enjoy staying at Disney resorts who enjoy pool time more than theme park time? Maybe there are people who have gone to WDW, spent an entire week there and never once set foot in a theme park, or maybe just gone to one park one day because they spent the rest of the time just enjoying the resorts.
I can confirm that there are - or some that have attended conferences.

mbtohill

Friends of ours own DVC points with BC as home resort. They rarely go to the parks when they go. They have little kids who just love the pool. I'm sure as the kids get older that will change but for now it works for them.

epcotisbest

And, while I am wondering, I wonder if there are any on here who have gone to a park lately with no fast passes, enjoyed the shows and shops and parades and fireworks and never did a ride or only did short wait walk ons? Who would do that?

epcotisbest

I know this one couple who like to resort hop to different places just to try different things on the menu or try different desserts. One time they had sandwiches at EoS then took the boat over to PORFQ for binguets, then took a pleasant stroll along the river over to PORS for a magic cookie bar, just for the heck of it. Then they took a bus over to TTC and walked over to the Poly and got a Dole Whip. Crazy to do that when they could have been waiting in line for Space Mountain instead.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
And, while I am wondering, I wonder if there are any on here who have gone to a park lately with no fast passes, enjoyed the shows and shops and parades and fireworks and never did a ride or only did short wait walk ons? Who would do that?

We do that on a “non Disney” day. Or a non-planned day.

We might plan a Orlando day for shopping or something else offsite. Then come back and on a whim decide to go to a park. Or there was New Years when my eldest and I went to MK for a couple of hours after an Epcot tour, got Pirates, Jungle Cruise and Buzz as same day FPs.

Youngest DS did a day at MK like that while we went to Universal for a Harry Potter day. He went in at around midday, spent 3-4 hrs just wandering, rode speedway, Buzz and the People mover. He’s not a rides person, has sensory issues, more than happy to spend his time just meandering about. He was always modifying his FPs to something else or not using them!

And we always have a day or two left unplanned and see what we can get on the day. Look for hidden Mickey’s, or carved animals in Adventureland, read the window signs, play Sorcerers or Agent P. All part of the fun for us.

nickys

Premium Member
I know this one couple who like to resort hop to different places just to try different things on the menu or try different desserts. One time they had sandwiches at EoS then took the boat over to PORFQ for binguets, then took a pleasant stroll along the river over to PORS for a magic cookie bar, just for the heck of it. Then they took a bus over to TTC and walked over to the Poly and got a Dole Whip. Crazy to do that when they could have been waiting in line for Space Mountain instead.

I spent NYE riding a boat around Bay Lake, visiting the stables at FW, exploring the lobby of WL, curling up,with a book on a rocking chair upstairs, (with a cupcake and coffee of course), while DH and the boys went offsite shopping. Pure blissful me-time.

CLEtoWDW

I’ve stayed at both resort club level rooms and quite honestly the only difference IMO is that YC has slightly better balcony space. This is especially useful if you have a water view as it can be very relaxing to sit on the balcony late at night and watch the action around the Boardwalk.

KTK

Its been a while since i've been at WDW. I hope everyone has enjoyed their Disney planning and vacations.

I'm back as I'm looking to plan our next 2020 vacation, and one that is on our short list is staying at the Yacht club. While I may not be a rookie when it comes to WDW, I am completely ignorant regarding these two resorts.

Can some folks provide some details, I think they're sister resorts, is one more desirable over the other? Do they share the same pool? If not can I go to the other pool?

My wife really wants a club level room, and would that change as to which resort to select?
We have stayed at both resorts though not at club level. We prefer Yacht over Beach though I don't think you can go wrong with either. The resorts are connected so you can easily walk back and forth. One advantage Yacht has over Beach is Yacht is the first stop for the busses so in the mornng hours you are usually getting on an empty bus. Also the boat dock for your trip to HS is just outside Yacht's main lobby's back door.

epcotisbest

I spent NYE riding a boat around Bay Lake, visiting the stables at FW, exploring the lobby of WL, curling up,with a book on a rocking chair upstairs, (with a cupcake and coffee of course), while DH and the boys went offsite shopping. Pure blissful me-time.

We too have spent a little quiet time at the WL upstairs in a little nook off the main lobby. Another nice, quiet spot is in the Iron Spike Room over at the WL Villas.

Patcheslee

We have 2 days of no actual plans except whatever we feel like when we get up. To be fair we already have 2MK, 2EP, 1.5AK, 1HS days planned so even without going to the parks on free days we do plenty that we want. First vacation in 2017 DD8 wanted to go back to AK and another EP visit so we just went there without FP. It wasn't horrible because she just wanted to explore and see characters.

Shouldigo12

I understand, but you can achieve the same thing with two half-days.

Your way:
Day 1: Magic Kingdom
Day 2: Pool day, then dinner at Disney Springs

My way:
Day 1: Magic Kingdom morning, pool in the afternoon
Day 2: Magic Kingdom morning, dinner at Disney Springs

We each get the equivalent of one full day in the park and one full day off, but my way allows me to get 6 FP+ and two rope drops, while your way only gets 3 FP+ and one rope drop.
I get what you're saying, but no, it's not the same thing. I want a day where I don't have to worry about running to the parks, making my FPs and ADRs, and dealing with crowds. Having a day to just relax and do things on my own time is great and keeps me energized for the rest of the trip. If you don't like doing that fine, but other people do.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
I understand, but you can achieve the same thing with two half-days.

Your way:
Day 1: Magic Kingdom
Day 2: Pool day, then dinner at Disney Springs

My way:
Day 1: Magic Kingdom morning, pool in the afternoon
Day 2: Magic Kingdom morning, dinner at Disney Springs

We each get the equivalent of one full day in the park and one full day off, but my way allows me to get 6 FP+ and two rope drops, while your way only gets 3 FP+ and one rope drop.
There's something to be said for having a down day. What you may see is a waste of a FP day, my family sees a day that they absolutely loved and enjoyed the Disney amenities and not dealing with the buses, crowds and hectic schedule. I don't see having a down day as a waste but one that my kids have fun and are doing something they love ¯\(ツ)

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
We prefer Yacht over Beach though I don't think you can go wrong with either.
For no logical reason my kids want the Yacht club over the Beach. Its good to hear that its first on the bus route that does mean a lot to us. I am kicking around the idea of renting a car, for a couple of reasons, i.e., going to universal but an added bonus is to avoid dealing with the buses. I think my entire family would rather avoid the buses where ever possible but being first on the busing line is a plus as there is no avoiding the buses :)

DisneyJoe

For no logical reason my kids want the Yacht club over the Beach. Its good to hear that its first on the bus route that does mean a lot to us. I am kicking around the idea of renting a car, for a couple of reasons, i.e., going to universal but an added bonus is to avoid dealing with the buses. I think my entire family would rather avoid the buses where ever possible but being first on the busing line is a plus as there is no avoiding the buses :)
I am sure you know, but you only need to take a bus to MK and AK and Disney Springs AND you can rent a car from Swan/Dolphin.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom