Beach resort vs. Yacht club

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
I am sure you know, but you only need to take a bus to MK and AK and Disney Springs AND you can rent a car from Swan/Dolphin.
Yes, that's one of the pluses of the yacht club. We were also kicking around the idea of the Poly which would also limit buses. Another plus with the Poly is that its on the monorail line and my entire family loves using that. The major downside of the Poly is the cost $$$$

eliza61nyc

I wonder if there are any people on here who enjoy staying at Disney resorts who enjoy pool time more than theme park time? Maybe there are people who have gone to WDW, spent an entire week there and never once set foot in a theme park, or maybe just gone to one park one day because they spent the rest of the time just enjoying the resorts.
I've gone on weekend trips where I never stepped foot in the parks, except for maybe Epcot to eat.

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
There were a few years where I was at the parks so much visiting my daughter when she was a CM, that many of those times we didn't go into the parks. We hit Springs for a nice dinner and shopping or went swimming. Beach Club concierge level is one of my favorites, especially since they refurbed/expanded it. Yacht Club is one of the hotels I would stay in if it was just my husband and I. I've stayed there a few times over the years, whether it was a conference or just a visit but I do prefer Beach Club. I am curious as to how your kids will like it @DarthVader
One thing with Poly, I noticed the last few times that I stayed there that it seems like the walls got even thinner with hearing the room next to you and forget it if you have a connecting door!

Have a wonderful trip!!

Pam

HouCuseChickie

When faced with this choice, one of the factors that had us go with YC over BC was balcony/patio. I didn't want to pay the same $ for BC and get one of the rooms with a Juliet balcony. We like to sit out on our balcony during downtime, especially at night after coming back from the parks, and I didn't want to risk the mini balcony. That being said...while this is purely subjective...I personally prefer BC's theme and decor. I also find it a bit more helpful to be a smidge closer to Epcot.

DISR

I wrote a trip report on my Yacht Club stay a couple of months ago that may answer some questions. I'll highlight a few points I remember though: Theming is subjective, but IMO neither resort blows me away. Functionally, the new Yacht Club rooms may be the best designed rooms on property though. Its been longer since I stayed at Beach Club, but I don't believe they got the same redesign. Parking is much better at Beach Club (if you are bringing a car). Yacht Club is actually closer the kid-friendly end of the Stormalong Bay pool than Beach Club is. I think QS dining is weak at the resorts. We usually went the Boardwalk area to get light meals/snacks. ESPN and Big River may be two of the worst food venues on site, but the pizza window and corn dog places there are not bad. If you get a chance, hit France in EPCOT for breakfast....It is a great time to experience the area without crowds and the food is really good. IMO, the concierge level at YC and BC are the worst bang for your buck among the deluxe hotels. The offerings aren't that exciting and I remember the lounges as pretty small. I really liked AK, Poly, and WL concierge lounges though. Enjoy your stay. It is my favorite location on property: direct access to two parks and splits the difference between AK and MK. We always like to end our park days with a drink in EPCOT, so it is an easy walk back to the hotel from there. It is also nice to have a short commute after the three different evening show offerings at HS and EP.

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Ive stayed at Both the Yacht and Beach. I fell in love with the Yacht Club though. I feel it’s a bit quieter than it’s sister but I still walk over to the beach club for Cape May. I love the ease of access to Epcot and HS. Nothing beats walking the Boardwalk at night for me though. I’m staying at the YC again in August!

KTK

For no logical reason my kids want the Yacht club over the Beach. Its good to hear that its first on the bus route that does mean a lot to us. I am kicking around the idea of renting a car, for a couple of reasons, i.e., going to universal but an added bonus is to avoid dealing with the buses. I think my entire family would rather avoid the buses where ever possible but being first on the busing line is a plus as there is no avoiding the buses :)
Keep in mind if you rent a car, you will be charged for parking the car at your resort, I believe it is $23ish per day. To me the busses are a no brainer. The Yacht is the first pick up then the Beach which their pick up area is literally less than 2 minutes away. Then you are off to MK, AK, or Disney Springs.

Hcalvert

I see nothing wrong with a non-park and/or pool day. I used to be a Florida resident (about 10 years ago) and I let my friends and family know when I am visiting. Often, they will meet me at the resort or Disney Springs on my "off" day and we will go off Disney property and have some fun somewhere else. I always build in this day and if I don't have plans for the off day, my family and I hang out at the pool, go miniature golfing, go shopping, etc. instead.

JillC LI

And, while I am wondering, I wonder if there are any on here who have gone to a park lately with no fast passes, enjoyed the shows and shops and parades and fireworks and never did a ride or only did short wait walk ons? Who would do that?
Sounds like my sister's family. I think they're nuts, but they enjoy themselves so to each her own! We do Disney commando style and while we don't return home as well rested as they are, we are all happy.

tpoly88

Sounds like my sister's family. I think they're nuts, but they enjoy themselves so to each her own! We do Disney commando style and while we don't return home as well rested as they are, we are all happy.
My wife and i go to EPCOT that way a lot. mainly because of her work we cannot plan to far out and sometimes we just go over for the day and hit EPCOT. we walk around, eat, drink and go on a ride or 2 and go home. As for YC/ BC, ive not seen the new rooms but ive stayed in both and Club level in YC. It was very nice and we had a turret room which was large and panoramic view. i always found the YC quieter and the rooms quiet. Both YC/ BC are quieter than the GF as it just seems that the walls are thicker as ive never heard anyone next door like in GF. The rooms are bigger in the YC vs BC at least from the rooms ive stayed. YC is my choice and one of my favorite hotels. BTW Uber/Lyft has made it very easy to get to MK and AK from those hotels plus the MiniVans. i never take the buses anymore.

nickys

Premium Member
You leave FastPasses on the table. If you and I each have a 7 day trip and you take one full day off while I take two half days off, you get to pre-book 18 FastPasses while I get 21.

Not necessarily.

Staying at the BC I can book 3 FPs at 6, 7 and 8pm and enter the park at 6:30pm, having spent all day at Stormalong Bay. That’s the beauty of an Epcot Resort. Or similarly staying on the monorail loop, or WL. Or AKL..... Not exactly a non-park day but you still get 8hrs at the pool or kayaking, or golfing, or shopping, or ......... (insert fun activity here).

CaptainAmerica

Not necessarily.

Staying at the BC I can book 3 FPs at 6, 7 and 8pm and enter the park at 6:30pm, having spent all day at Stormalong Bay. That’s the beauty of an Epcot Resort. Or similarly staying on the monorail loop, or WL. Or AKL..... Not exactly a non-park day but you still get 8hrs at the pool or kayaking, or golfing, or shopping, or ......... (insert fun activity here).
I agree with that. That's the same thing I do and recommend on travel days if flights allow. I'd consider that more a half day than a full day off.

Gaston's gal

I wonder if there are any people on here who enjoy staying at Disney resorts who enjoy pool time more than theme park time? Maybe there are people who have gone to WDW, spent an entire week there and never once set foot in a theme park, or maybe just gone to one park one day because they spent the rest of the time just enjoying the resorts.
That is what my husband would like to do. Hasn't happened yet, but it is nice to have goals :)

Gaston's gal

For no logical reason my kids want the Yacht club over the Beach. Its good to hear that its first on the bus route that does mean a lot to us. I am kicking around the idea of renting a car, for a couple of reasons, i.e., going to universal but an added bonus is to avoid dealing with the buses. I think my entire family would rather avoid the buses where ever possible but being first on the busing line is a plus as there is no avoiding the buses :)
We also like to avoid the buses. If you stay at YC or BC, you could avoid the buses if you have a PH so you can jump on the monorail in Epcot to get to MK. You can use the boats or walk to get to Epcot and HS. The only way you can get to AK without the buses is if you get an Uber or the Minnie Van.

Weather_Lady

I can't think of any particular reason YC is better than BC, or vice-versa. The pool is shared and other amenities (e.g., restaurants) might as well be, they're so close. I think it comes down to which theme you, personally, prefer.

PROs of both: easy walk to Epcot or even HS, boat service, can stroll over to Boardwalk if desired or go to Swan/Dolphin for dining or to mini-golf at Fantasia Gardens, attractive, sedate and relaxing theming.

CONs of both: CS offerings are dismal (with Hurricane Hanna's, the poolside CS by Stormalong Bay, being the best option), layout can be confusing if you're assigned to a far-flung room and signage isn't great (we literally got lost at least once per day at Beach Club, something that's never happened to us anywhere else).

NEUTRAL: Stormalong Bay. It seems like the majority of guests love it. We hated it and found it to be a noisy, unattractive, difficult-to-access, disorganized mess - the lighthouses and bridges and rockwork made it impossible to keep eyes on our kids, and the water slides were located across the walkway in a separate, fenced-in area. YMMV, and I realize my opinion is in the minority.

epcotisbest

That is what my husband would like to do. Hasn't happened yet, but it is nice to have goals :)

It is actually what we have done for the last four or five trips. Best trips ever. We used to go to WDW and then have to come home and try to recover from the trip. We now come home relaxed, rested and de-stressed.
I have a couple of trip reports with details if you are interested.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom