Be Our Guest Breakfast Confirmed

dreamfinder

Anybody else in a similar predicament where your Disney World trip is past June this year? Has anybody found out anything about making reservations for Breakfast @ BOG in the Fall or Summer?

As of now it's just a test. I think they will want to see how the kitchen and staff handles it, how much other in park breakfasts get cannibalized, and how much money they rake in hand over fist at $19.99 for a fried doughnut and half a sliced banana. Assuming it is successful, I'd expect them to extend it in a few months.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
This thread is a great example of why many people think the Disney Dining experience has been degraded over time. We always blamed the DDP, but maybe it's down to the guests? If is thread is any indication, people don't want authentic food, they want waffles.
And in Disney's defense, there are many cases of them trying a fresh, new offering at a restaurant only for people to complain that they want 1500 cal. French fries instead.

EmmieSue

And in Disney's defense, there are many cases of them trying a fresh, new offering at a restaurant only for people to complain that they want 1500 cal. French fries instead.

I just wish they would do more of a variety. Why can't the fresh new/different stuff be combined with something simple like a waffle? When I think about this I think of the varying tastes in the group I usually go to Disney with. You have my brother-in-law who is a chef who will basically eat anything and loves to try new things. Then you have me who basically eats like a five year old. I'm super picky and have texture issues when eating. A waffle would be what I would want, while he would happily eat probably anything on the menu at Be Our Guest.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Exactly what I was getting at.
I just wish they would do more of a variety. Why can't the fresh new/different stuff be combined with something simple like a waffle? When I think about this I think of the varying tastes in the group I usually go to Disney with. You have my brother-in-law who is a chef who will basically eat anything and loves to try new things. Then you have me who basically eats like a five year old. I'm super picky and have texture issues when eating. A waffle would be what I would want, while he would happily eat probably anything on the menu at Be Our Guest.
Because its a French castle. Not a Denny's.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
The problem is that while lots of people claim they want variety, they actually want every location to have the same predictable variety and they lose it if a restaurant doesn't have the appropriate offering e.g chicken nuggets in every kid menu and God forbid a breakfast not include Mickey Waffles and a food cart not have Mickey's Premium Bars. They have actually branded this obsession with predictability. Your car can smell like a turkey leg. There was a time when a sit-down breakfast at WDW didn't include Mickey Waffles in all cases. It makes sense at Chef Mickey's, not at 'Ohana.

stevehousse

The menu consists of the French inspired menu yes, but if you look at the MDE app menu, it also lists a bacon egg breakfast sandwhich, waffles, and French toast sticks on the adult menu. And if you weren't aware, you can always order a meal off the kids menu and ask for an adult size portion of it instead. I personally can't wait to "test" out the new breakfast in May! And I don't care how much a Cronut costs, they are beyond worth every penny!

Last edited:

EmmieSue

Because its a French castle. Not a Denny's.

The problem is that while lots of people claim they want variety, they actually want every location to have the same predictable variety and they lose it if a restaurant doesn't have the appropriate offering e.g chicken nuggets in every kid menu and God forbid a breakfast not include Mickey Waffles and a food cart not have Mickey's Premium Bars. They have actually branded this obsession with predictability. Your car can smell like a turkey leg. There was a time when a sit-down breakfast at WDW didn't include Mickey Waffles in all cases. It makes sense at Chef Mickey's, not at 'Ohana.

So you guys are basically saying that the majority of children and people like me simply shouldn't be allowed to want to eat at the places just because we don't like French or Hawaiian food? Also the people who travel with us also shouldn't be given the opportunity to eat there because we can't? Of course me being older I could go somewhere else, but children can't do that. Chicken nuggets, burgers, things of that nature are what a lot of kids want to eat. Consider yourselves lucky if you have never had to try to feed picky children.

Besides, I am not saying to take away the foods they have on the menu and replace them with waffles, pancakes, etc. I am saying it wouldn't hurt anything to add a waffle to the menu for those who want to eat their for the atmosphere and because their group wants to eat there. It doesn't hurt you any. A CM wouldn't be shoving a boring old waffle down your throat. It would just be nice for the people who don't like the other items.

stevehousse

Menus will always appeal to the masses whether you are at Disney or not. It's why a lot of seafood restaurants serve steaks and burgers, Mexican restaurants having "gringo" sections on the menu. Disney isn't doing anything different than the thousands of other restaurants around the world don't already do.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
So you guys are basically saying that the majority of children and people like me simply shouldn't be allowed to want to eat at the places just because we don't like French or Hawaiian food? Also the people who travel with us also shouldn't be given the opportunity to eat there because we can't? Of course me being older I could go somewhere else, but children can't do that. Chicken nuggets, burgers, things of that nature are what a lot of kids want to eat. Consider yourselves lucky if you have never had to try to feed picky children.

Besides, I am not saying to take away the foods they have on the menu and replace them with waffles, pancakes, etc. I am saying it wouldn't hurt anything to add a waffle to the menu for those who want to eat their for the atmosphere and because their group wants to eat there. It doesn't hurt you any. A CM wouldn't be shoving a boring old waffle down your throat. It would just be nice for the people who don't like the other items.
Yes, that is what I'm saying. If you don't like French food, you don't eat in a French restaurant. That rule seems to be reasonable everywhere besides Disney World, where it used to be the case but no longer is. WDW used to have significantly better food than the average amusement park because it was significantly better than the average amusement park in every way. Even Disneyland still has restaurants that attempt to stay unapologetically authentic.

What you are suggesting does hurt the menu. Waffle makers take up kitchen space, leaving less room to make actual French food. If you can get a reservation at Be Our Guest, you can get one at Chef Mickey's.

I don't like seafood so I don't go to Eric Ripert's restaurant, but that doesn't mean Chef Ripert's should start serving ravioli to make me happy.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Well, I also think there is something to be said about the nature of the place you are eating. If you are going to build a restaurant themed to a children's movie, then you need to be open enough to skewing the menu enough to appease most children's appetite (and having kids of my own, I know how picky kids can be). Even if Beauty and the Beast is a movie that is supposed to take place in France, it is first and foremost a kids movie. Conversely, if you have a restaurant like Monsieur Paul in the French Pavalian at EPCOT where you are specifically catering to adults, then I would agree, be very strict to the French inspired menu.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Well, I also think there is something to be said about the nature of the place you are eating. If you are going to build a restaurant themed to a children's movie, then you need to be open enough to skewing the menu enough to appease most children's appetite (and having kids of my own, I know how picky kids can be). Even if Beauty and the Beast is a movie that is supposed to take place in France, it is first and foremost a kids movie. Conversely, if you have a restaurant like Monsieur Paul in the French Pavalian at EPCOT where you are specifically catering to adults, then I would agree, be very strict to the French inspired menu.
No you don't. Cinderella Castle has had a restaurant for a long time. It used to include a fancy meal. I am sorry you think of Beauty and the Beast as a children's movie. It was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Picture and there are no kids on the Academy. Is WDW also built for toddlers (who get in for free)? Children as only as picky as indulgent parents allow them to be. They will actually eat something besides chicken nuggets before starving to death. No need to line up at Guest Relations to complain.

If it were a SpongeBob SquarePants restaurant, I would agree with you. As it is meant to be in France, it should have French food. That doesn't mean it has to serve snails. It shouldn't be that hard to devise a purely French breakfast menu that most people would like. Ever been into the French bakery in Epcot? I don't hear much, "Zis pastry eez too fancy for my unrefined American palate! Where are zee McMuffins?!"

The restaurant also shouldn't have a dessert menu of cupcakes and cream puffs. Seriously? They couldn't think of any fancier French desserts?

That said, I grant you--kids prefer simpler tastes and no one enjoys witnessing a toddler meltdown. That doesn't mean the adult menu also needs Mickey waffles.

Last edited:

EmmieSue

Yes, that is what I'm saying. If you don't like French food, you don't eat in a French restaurant. That rule seems to be reasonable everywhere besides Disney World, where it used to be the case but no longer is. WDW used to have significantly better food than the average amusement park because it was significantly better than the average amusement park in every way. Even Disneyland still has restaurants that attempt to stay unapologetically authentic.

What you are suggesting does hurt the menu. Waffle makers take up kitchen space, leaving less room to make actual French food. If you can get a reservation at Be Our Guest, you can get one at Chef Mickey's.

I don't like seafood so I don't go to Eric Ripert's restaurant, but that doesn't mean Chef Ripert's should start serving ravioli to make me happy.

That said, I grant you--kids prefer simpler tastes and no one enjoys witnessing a toddler meltdown. That doesn't mean the adult menu also needs Mickey waffles.

Your argument doesn't make any sense. First of all, Disney World Restaurants aren't all about the food like a restaurant you would go to at home. They aren't just all about the food. You go for the decoration. To me and others, I am sure I am not the only one, go to see the Beast's castle. You go for atmosphere. I don't see it as a French restaurant. You might go for the food only and that's fine, but having a simple option on the menu does not affect you in any way. If they have already put all those foods on the menu along with the waffle then clearly they would have the space for all of it. Otherwise some of the dishes wouldn't have been included to begin with. Chef Mickey's is a character buffet. I'd go there for characters. I'd go to Be Our Guest because of atmosphere. If I specifically wanted French food then I would go to Epcot or one of the other french restaurants that aren't themed to a movie.

Now I feel like you are either contradicting yourself suddenly or I somehow misunderstood you to begin with. It sounded like you didn't even think the kids should be offered waffles or the cereal that is on their menu because it is not French, but now suddenly you understand why it is there, but don't think the adult menu needs the waffles too. Obviously it doesn't matter, adults can always just ask for the kids items and Disney typically will give it, so you are right in that respect that it doesn't need to be on both menus, but uh...you do realize that there is still a waffle maker in there supposedly taking up precious space? It was such a big deal before and now you think it's fine.

By the way, Disney movies have always been for both kids and adults. So there is no reason a Disney movie themed restaurant shouldn't have menu items that everyone will enjoy. It makes more sense for everything to be more heavily French at just a normal French restaurant.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Your argument doesn't make any sense. First of all, Disney World Restaurants aren't all about the food like a restaurant you would go to at home. They aren't just all about the food. You go for the decoration. To me and others, I am sure I am not the only one, go to see the Beast's castle. You go for atmosphere. I don't see it as a French restaurant. You might go for the food only and that's fine, but having a simple option on the menu does not affect you in any way. If they have already put all those foods on the menu along with the waffle then clearly they would have the space for all of it. Otherwise some of the dishes wouldn't have been included to begin with. Chef Mickey's is a character buffet. I'd go there for characters. I'd go to Be Our Guest because of atmosphere. If I specifically wanted French food then I would go to Epcot or one of the other french restaurants that aren't themed to a movie.

Now I feel like you are either contradicting yourself suddenly or I somehow misunderstood you to begin with. It sounded like you didn't even think the kids should be offered waffles or the cereal that is on their menu because it is not French, but now suddenly you understand why it is there, but don't think the adult menu needs the waffles too. Obviously it doesn't matter, adults can always just ask for the kids items and Disney typically will give it, so you are right in that respect that it doesn't need to be on both menus, but uh...you do realize that there is still a waffle maker in there supposedly taking up precious space? It was such a big deal before and now you think it's fine.

By the way, Disney movies have always been for both kids and adults. So there is no reason a Disney movie themed restaurant shouldn't have menu items that everyone will enjoy. It makes more sense for everything to be more heavily French at just a normal French restaurant.
Kid waffles are different from adult waffles, and it's disney world. They don't have one waffle maker. They need 10 if they want waffles on the kid menu, 20 if they want to offer them to adults. Personally, I go to WDW for authentically themed experiences. Be Our Guest should serve food that would be served in Beast's Castle. One need only listen to the lyrics of "Be Our Guest".

Try ze cupcake, it's delicious! Don't believe me, ask ze paper cup!

EmmieSue

Kid waffles are different from adult waffles, and it's disney world. They don't have one waffle maker. They need 10 if they want waffles on the kid menu, 20 if they want to offer them to adults. Personally, I go to WDW for authentically themed experiences. Be Our Guest should serve food that would be served in Beast's Castle. One need only listen to the lyrics of "Be Our Guest".

Try ze cupcake, it's delicious! Don't believe me, ask ze paper cup!

Like I said before, if they planned to offer adult waffles from the beginning then they would make sure to have enough space for it all from the start. So again, in no way would it hurt you getting your french food. They wouldn't put food on the menu that they don't have the space to make. They had waffles and french toast listed in the adult menu to begin with and maybe still do in the app, I don't have an iPhone. So clearly if they were actually going to have them, then they had the space.

I understand what you are saying in something that is already established. Like if they had, had the breakfast for years and then suddenly people complained so they put waffles on and took a few French items off. Especially if it was an actual french restaurant. For you, you want the complete experience at Beast's castle. Nothing wrong with that. Go there, eat your French food, be happy. There is nothing wrong with me going there just to eat a waffle in the castle. Not your idea of the experience, but personally I just want to eat in the pretty castle.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Like I said before, if they planned to offer adult waffles from the beginning then they would make sure to have enough space for it all from the start. So again, in no way would it hurt you getting your french food. They wouldn't put food on the menu that they don't have the space to make. They had waffles and french toast listed in the adult menu to begin with and maybe still do in the app, I don't have an iPhone. So clearly if they were actually going to have them, then they had the space.

I understand what you are saying in something that is already established. Like if they had, had the breakfast for years and then suddenly people complained so they put waffles on and took a few French items off. Especially if it was an actual french restaurant. For you, you want the complete experience at Beast's castle. Nothing wrong with that. Go there, eat your French food, be happy. There is nothing wrong with me going there just to eat a waffle in the castle. Not your idea of the experience, but personally I just want to eat in the pretty castle.
We will have to agree to disagree here. I don't think waffles should be on the menu for adults, but the menu is what it is. And I still think it is a really cool looking restaurant. For me, the food isn't good enough for the look of the place. But, like many, I'll put up with subpar food to enjoy the ambience.

travellerman

Is it difficult to get to MK for an 8:10am reservation if the park doesn't open till 9? Think buses will be running in time for me to get there? Staying on site, no car.

edgeman

Is it difficult to get to MK for an 8:10am reservation if the park doesn't open till 9? Think buses will be running in time for me to get there? Staying on site, no car.

I was just wondering the same thing, as I don't remember back to some of my other trips very well when I had some early reservations, but I can say that I have never missed a one, or been late for one, so they must run them over plenty early. Our reservation is at 8:20.

JohnD

Got mine this morning for a 9:05 am ADR. Didn't have to get up at 6am either (which I didn't). Rearranged my FP+ schedule too to make it work.

Maybe I'll make a BOG breakfast ADR anyway then I have time to mull it over.

Okay, I mulled it over and cancelled. Too many other ADRs. Could have done lunch anyway at BOG but opted for LTT. Also keeping my rearranged schedule with the first FP+ beginning at 10:45am. Allows for Steam Train Tour beginning at 7:30 (three hours until 10:30), should I choose to do it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom