battle of the bad attractions

TwilightZone

Original Poster
update:
I have decided when challenges rotate:
rotation will happen every other week unless if I just so happen to be out of town that week, then I will decide a new time for the challenge

TwilightZone

Original Poster
let's start with one that may be a bit easier to decide
AIquu070.png

stitch vs. sounds dangerous
similarities:
both use effects to make the guests feel like they are actually with the character
both are mostly in the dark
both are in theaters (duh)
both are unappealing to their target audiences
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
now it's your time to decide which one is better and re-do the better attraction!

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
So I think Stitch is a better attraction than Sounds Dangerous for several reasons

1 - I don't even know how Sounds Dangerous was an attraction - you sat in the dark and listened to headphones. The end.
2 - Stitch at least had animatronics and a decent queue.
3 - Stitch replaced Alien Encounter -- so it was always going to be badly viewed from the start and an uphill battle. Sound Dangerous had nothing of substance to follow up - it was bad on its own.
4 - Stitch toilet papered the castle which I'm still not over and therefore despised the attraction pretty much from the start. ;) Whereas Sound Dangerous I actually tried to like and was never more disappointed with a Disney 'attraction'

So since I have to redo the better attraction - I've had some ideas for a Stitch replacement and it would be Meet the Robinsons

My new Tomorrowland circa 2022
1515996246083.png

meet-the-robinsons-title-card.png

From the D23 Website celebrating the film's 10th anniversary in March 2017

We love the movie for its forward-thinking adventures of the young inventor Lewis in the amazing world of the future! While Louis is marveling at the wonders of the future—or as the citizens of the future call it, “Todayland,”—everyone reminds him of one important thing: “Keep moving forward.”

Meet-the-Robinsons-shareable-5.png

At least one can say it's not forgotten.

Half a decade ago, years after the film had premiered, fans were calling for a Meet the Robinsons attraction given its ties to Walt Disney and its message for the future.

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/meet-the-robinsons-should-go-in-tomorrowland.843148/

There even seems to be an imagineering concept art for Meet the Robinsons replacing the Tomorroowland Speedway.

WDW%252520Tomorrowland.jpg

Attraction concepts for the film obviously fell through, but with such a connection to Tomorrowland, even something that isn't as familiar could still be a great attraction. Popularity of the IP can only go so far. Song of the South is relatively unheard of outside of the Disney fan community, and Stitch is known everywhere, yet those attractions are universally received differently.

And speak of Stitch - that is where our Meet the Robinsons attraction will go!

-----------------

Robinson Industries

Keep Moving Forward

walt-disney-world-magic-kingdom-2013-stitch%27s-great-escape-2.jpg

innoventions-east-gallery00.jpg

Stitch's Great Escape has become a seasonal attraction - but in the Summer 2019 - all of that will change. Furthermore, with Innovetions in Epcot going by the wayside, at least in the concept rendering for the reimagined Future World, there will be no place for any sort of technology showcase. And that's where Meet the Robinsons comes in!

Cornelius Robinson, (aka the older version of the main character in the film, Lewis), has opened up his Robinson Industries located in 'today-land' to the public - and inside is a showcase of the world's newest inventions from gravity boots to memory scanners.

226cd8a57f8ab75b7f07ca47877acc5d.jpg

Tomorrowland%2BLayout.JPG

In order for this technology showcase attraction to work - the entirety of Stitch's Great Escape will be gutted and removed. The attraction has seen 4 overlays in almost 50 years, and none seem to hold up for more than a decade. Nevertheless, with a completely open floorplan, and tons of space for interactivity, this will be a guest capacity eater while you either wait for your Fastpass for Space Mountain and/or Tron, or just want to play around with some cool exhibits.

3e865ad5c1203e197444cef42833147e--meet-the-robinson-william-joyce.jpg

Lastly, with the gutted theaters and pre-show opening up for the Robinson Industries showcase, in the back right corner of the new pavilion will be a show called 'Keep Moving Forward' dedicated to memories and the film's mantra. This small 7 minute show area will run continuously on a loop throughout the day, with benches provided for guests sit, and in a short time, illustrate how Lewis, the young boy from the film, met his future self and learned that your future is based on you making the right choices.

It ends with the finale song, Little Wonders, with the reveal of Walt Disney's quote of 'keep moving forward' as a slogan for what we all should hold true as we progress through our lives in into our own 'Tomorrowland'

Overall, Meet the Robinsons may not be the most remembered Disney film, but to me it certainly has one of the most powerful messages for kids and really anyone as they move forward in their lives. Plus, it's connection with the 'Tomorrowland' concept is strong enough, and the replacement of Stitch innocuous enough, that it might have a lasting place in the land.

MonorailRed

Applebees
I think Sounds Dangerous is a better attraction than Stitch's Great Escape for the sole reason that it fit the backlot area. Stitch's Great Escape feels a little out of place with today's tomorrowland, clashing with the themes of Monsters Inc Laugh Floor and classics like Carousel of Progress, Astro Orbitor, and the People Mover.

Since I have to redo the better attraction, with Sounds Dangerous' current space, it seems logical to add to the changes happening to Hollywood Studios. Though it currently is a blend of IPs with Frozen Sing Along, Indiana Jones, and Star Tours - it seems the cohesive theme for the blue building is to stick to Characters within the Animation sector - which brings me to....

The Magic of Disney Animation - A Virtual Reality Experience

With the technology of The Void at Disney Springs, and a look at Disney MGM Studios historically brings a new element to discovering the older process of Disney Animation.

Similar in tribute to the "Back to Neverland" movie shown at the old MGM Animation Studio, pick your favorite Disney Animated feature out of the list (The Lion King, Peter Pan, Frozen, Toy Story) and go on a virtual reality experience through multilane cameras, tablets, and much more!

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I'm gonna choose Stitch Great Escape as better. It may be a failure in every conceivable way, but it still has stitch. And Lilo and stitch is my favorite Disney movie. Sounds dangerous just has drew Carrey. My 8th favorite celebrity named drew.

Pionmycake presents:

Recently, Disney has been buying many large franchises. Fox, Marvel, Lucasfilm, Muppets, Pixar... The list goes on! There's even rumors Disney is looking at Netflix and/or Twitter as another big purchase. Buying franchises and brands isn't new for Disney though. Back in the 80s Disney was on another buying spree and picked up ABC and ESPN. There was another franchise Disney wanted to buy back then, but never could.​

Knock knock.

Who's there?

The Doctor.

Doctor who?

Exactly.

052233838b2e696d1ae9cec7e7d9d6b9.jpg

Disney wanted to purchase Doctor Who and add a walkthrough TARDIS in Tomorrowland at Disneyland. The deal never happened though (and people dreaming of a poorly made live action Disney movie starring Johney Depp as the Doctor around 2007 had their hopes dashed). While the deal to buy Doctor Who is not being revived, one part of that idea is coming back:​

Doctor Who: A Wibbly Wobbly Journey through Time and Space

gpVYs3T.jpg

Guests enter into the Tomorrowland Convention Center (former location of Stitch's Great Escape) for a presentation by U.N.I.T. on how humans can stay safe in an intergalactic community. The first room of the preshow (blue circle on map below) is the start of the presentation on television screens. The program is interupted by Missy (the female form of the Master on the show currently) who hacks u.n.i.t.'s system and takes over the convention center. She comes on screen and explains to guests that we are bait. The cheese for the mouse. After all, the Doctor will never be able to resist a room full of damsels in distress. She tells the guests to go enter the holding room. Her assistants (cast members) usher us into preshow room 2.​

Preshow room 2 (green circle on map below) is where Missy is holding her captives. She is talking to us over a screen. There is an animatronic Dalek and an animatronic Cyberman as our guards. The daleks and cybermen have teamed up with Missy to destroy and Exterminate the Doctor. It isn't an easy alliance and the Dalek and Cyberman bicker with each other while guarding you. Eventually the Doctor hacks in and takes over the television screen from Missy. He remotely activates stasis fields around the Dalek and the Cyberman. He tells us to follow his companions (cast members) and enter the TARDIS. Guests are ushered into the show room (red circle). The entrance to the theater is themed to the TARDIS exterior. Like Stitch, there are two theaters. The entrance to the theater not currently boarding is covered so there is only one TARDIS visible at a time.​

The show involves guests sitting in a circular theater. The seats are the same as Stitch except with the headrests removed. The room is a recreation of the TARDIS interior with the only major difference being the seats.​

There are video monitors around the top of the center core that allow guests to see what is happening out side the TARDIS. A face character version of the Doctor (guy in costume as him) is in the TARDIS and ushers us in and tells us to be seated quickly. There's not a moment to lose! After we are all seated, the Doctor starts flying the TARDIS out (Missy has a magnetic field generator that prevents the TARDIS from warping out). The show involves the Doctor running around the TARDIS and outsmarting the Daleks, Cybermen, and Missy (who all appear on the tv screens, not in person). Smoke and lighting effects in the room simulate the TARDIS being attacked. Eventually, the Doctor revers the polarity of the neutron flow on the Missy's magnetic field generator trapping her, the Cybermen, and the Daleks in a much larger version of the stasis field he showed off in the pre-show room 2. This allows us to escape and the Doctor to drop us off back in Magic Kingdom (where he is sure they'll try to sell you something). We exit through the gift shop proving him right once again.​

Overall, a relatively cheap and easy switchover to this from Stitch (the bones of the attraction are the same). Capacity and show length will be more or less the same. The only added operating cost will be actors as the Doctor, but the reduced cost of not having a Stitch animatronic to upkeep and run should offset this.​

The goal was to make an attraction that would be excellent for long time fans while not alienating newcomers. The story of a hero with a fancy spacecraft and a villain with some evil robots is general enough that even people who don't know a thing about Doctor Who should love this attraction and follow the story fine.​

-Reference Photos-​

LFCC-2009-14.jpg

Dalek​

p029sh8w.jpg

Cyberman​

images

Missy​

220px-TARDIS1.jpg

Tardis - exterior​

images

TARDIS - interior (it's bigger on the inside)​

article-0-1B02ED8400000578-153_306x611.jpg

The Doctor​

Last edited:

Suchomimus

I'm gonna choose Stitch Great Escape as better. It may be a failure in every conceivable way, but it still has stitch. And Lilo and stitch is my favorite Disney movie. Sounds dangerous just has drew Carrey. My 8th favorite celebrity named drew.

Pionmycake presents:

Recently, Disney has been buying many large franchises. Fox, Marvel, Lucasfilm, Muppets, Pixar... The list goes on! There's even rumors Disney is looking at Netflix and/or Twitter as another big purchase. Buying franchises and brands isn't new for Disney though. Back in the 80s Disney was on another buying spree and picked up ABC and ESPN. There was another franchise Disney wanted to buy back then, but never could.​

Knock knock.

Who's there?

The Doctor.

Doctor who?

Exactly.

Disney wanted to purchase Doctor Who and add a walkthrough TARDIS in Tomorrowland at Disneyland. The deal never happened though (and people dreaming of a poorly made live action Disney movie starring Johney Depp as the Doctor around 2007 had their hopes dashed). While the deal to buy Doctor Who is not being revived, one part of that idea is coming back:​

gpVYs3T.jpg

Guests enter into the Tomorrowland Convention Center (former location of Stitch's Great Escape) for a presentation by U.N.I.T. on how humans can stay safe in an intergalactic community. The first room of the preshow (blue circle on map below) is the start of the presentation on television screens. The program is interupted by Missy (the female form of the Master on the show currently) who hacks u.n.i.t.'s system and takes over the convention center. She comes on screen and explains to guests that we are bait. The cheese for the mouse. After all, the Doctor will never be able to resist a room full of damsels in distress. She tells the guests to go enter the holding room. Her assistants (cast members) usher us into preshow room 2.​

Preshow room 2 (green circle on map below) is where Missy is holding her captives. She is talking to us over a screen. There is an animatronic Dalek and an animatronic Cyberman as our guards. The daleks and cybermen have teamed up with Missy to destroy and Exterminate the Doctor. It isn't an easy alliance and the Dalek and Cyberman bicker with each other while guarding you. Eventually the Doctor hacks in and takes over the television screen from Missy. He remotely activates stasis fields around the Dalek and the Cyberman. He tells us to follow his companions (cast members) and enter the TARDIS. Guests are ushered into the show room (red circle). The entrance to the theater is themed to the TARDIS exterior. Like Stitch, there are two theaters. The entrance to the theater not currently boarding is covered so there is only one TARDIS visible at a time.​

The show involves guests sitting in a circular theater. The seats are the same as Stitch except with the headrests removed. The room is a recreation of the TARDIS interior with the only major difference being the seats.​

There are video monitors around the top of the center core that allow guests to see what is happening out side the TARDIS. A face character version of the Doctor (guy in costume as him) is in the TARDIS and ushers us in and tells us to be seated quickly. There's not a moment to lose! After we are all seated, the Doctor starts flying the TARDIS out (Missy has a magnetic field generator that prevents the TARDIS from warping out). The show involves the Doctor running around the TARDIS and outsmarting the Daleks, Cybermen, and Missy (who all appear on the tv screens, not in person). Smoke and lighting effects in the room simulate the TARDIS being attacked. Eventually, the Doctor revers the polarity of the neutron flow on the Missy's magnetic field generator trapping her, the Cybermen, and the Daleks in a much larger version of the stasis field he showed off in the pre-show room 2. This allows us to escape and the Doctor to drop us off back in Magic Kingdom (where he is sure they'll try to sell you something). We exit through the gift shop proving him right once again.​

Overall, a relatively cheap and easy switchover to this from Stitch (the bones of the attraction are the same). Capacity and show length will be more or less the same. The only added operating cost will be actors as the Doctor, but the reduced cost of not having a Stitch animatronic to upkeep and run should offset this.​

The goal was to make an attraction that would be excellent for long time fans while not alienating newcomers. The story of a hero with a fancy spacecraft and a villain with some evil robots is general enough that even people who don't know a thing about Doctor Who should love this attraction and follow the story fine.​

-Reference Photos-​

LFCC-2009-14.jpg

Dalek​

p029sh8w.jpg

Cyberman​

images

Missy​

220px-TARDIS1.jpg

Tardis - exterior​

images

The Doctor​
As a “What If” this did really fine but as a full fledged Imagineering:
latest

This really didn't stack up.

TwilightZone

Original Poster
review time!
So I think Stitch is a better attraction than Sounds Dangerous for several reasons

1 - I don't even know how Sounds Dangerous was an attraction - you sat in the dark and listened to headphones. The end.
2 - Stitch at least had animatronics and a decent queue.
3 - Stitch replaced Alien Encounter -- so it was always going to be badly viewed from the start and an uphill battle. Sound Dangerous had nothing of substance to follow up - it was bad on its own.
4 - Stitch toilet papered the castle which I'm still not over and therefore despised the attraction pretty much from the start. ;) Whereas Sound Dangerous I actually tried to like and was never more disappointed with a Disney 'attraction'

So since I have to redo the better attraction - I've had some ideas for a Stitch replacement and it would be Meet the Robinsons

My new Tomorrowland circa 2022
View attachment 256475
meet-the-robinsons-title-card.png

From the D23 Website celebrating the film's 10th anniversary in March 2017

We love the movie for its forward-thinking adventures of the young inventor Lewis in the amazing world of the future! While Louis is marveling at the wonders of the future—or as the citizens of the future call it, “Todayland,”—everyone reminds him of one important thing: “Keep moving forward.”

Meet-the-Robinsons-shareable-5.png

At least one can say it's not forgotten.

Half a decade ago, years after the film had premiered, fans were calling for a Meet the Robinsons attraction given its ties to Walt Disney and its message for the future.

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/meet-the-robinsons-should-go-in-tomorrowland.843148/

There even seems to be an imagineering concept art for Meet the Robinsons replacing the Tomorroowland Speedway.

WDW%252520Tomorrowland.jpg

Attraction concepts for the film obviously fell through, but with such a connection to Tomorrowland, even something that isn't as familiar could still be a great attraction. Popularity of the IP can only go so far. Song of the South is relatively unheard of outside of the Disney fan community, and Stitch is known everywhere, yet those attractions are universally received differently.

And speak of Stitch - that is where our Meet the Robinsons attraction will go!

-----------------

Robinson Industries

Keep Moving Forward

walt-disney-world-magic-kingdom-2013-stitch%27s-great-escape-2.jpg

innoventions-east-gallery00.jpg

Stitch's Great Escape has become a seasonal attraction - but in the Summer 2019 - all of that will change. Furthermore, with Innovetions in Epcot going by the wayside, at least in the concept rendering for the reimagined Future World, there will be no place for any sort of technology showcase. And that's where Meet the Robinsons comes in!

Cornelius Robinson, (aka the older version of the main character in the film, Lewis), has opened up his Robinson Industries located in 'today-land' to the public - and inside is a showcase of the world's newest inventions from gravity boots to memory scanners.

226cd8a57f8ab75b7f07ca47877acc5d.jpg

Tomorrowland%2BLayout.JPG

In order for this technology showcase attraction to work - the entirety of Stitch's Great Escape will be gutted and removed. The attraction has seen 4 overlays in almost 50 years, and none seem to hold up for more than a decade. Nevertheless, with a completely open floorplan, and tons of space for interactivity, this will be a guest capacity eater while you either wait for your Fastpass for Space Mountain and/or Tron, or just want to play around with some cool exhibits.

3e865ad5c1203e197444cef42833147e--meet-the-robinson-william-joyce.jpg

Lastly, with the gutted theaters and pre-show opening up for the Robinson Industries showcase, in the back right corner of the new pavilion will be a show called 'Keep Moving Forward' dedicated to memories and the film's mantra. This small 7 minute show area will run continuously on a loop throughout the day, with benches provided for guests sit, and in a short time, illustrate how Lewis, the young boy from the film, met his future self and learned that your future is based on you making the right choices.

It ends with the finale song, Little Wonders, with the reveal of Walt Disney's quote of 'keep moving forward' as a slogan for what we all should hold true as we progress through our lives in into our own 'Tomorrowland'

Overall, Meet the Robinsons may not be the most remembered Disney film, but to me it certainly has one of the most powerful messages for kids and really anyone as they move forward in their lives. Plus, it's connection with the 'Tomorrowland' concept is strong enough, and the replacement of Stitch innocuous enough, that it might have a lasting place in the land.

This idea is really creative! I think the is the first innoventions idea I have seen that uses meet the robinsons instead of big hero 6 as it's ip. I think that the use of sci-fi inventions helps with the dated issue an attraction like innoventions has. Only problem I have is I am not too fond of repeating the movie, as a movie in disney, but other than that good job!
I think Sounds Dangerous is a better attraction than Stitch's Great Escape for the sole reason that it fit the backlot area. Stitch's Great Escape feels a little out of place with today's tomorrowland, clashing with the themes of Monsters Inc Laugh Floor and classics like Carousel of Progress, Astro Orbitor, and the People Mover.

Since I have to redo the better attraction, with Sounds Dangerous' current space, it seems logical to add to the changes happening to Hollywood Studios. Though it currently is a blend of IPs with Frozen Sing Along, Indiana Jones, and Star Tours - it seems the cohesive theme for the blue building is to stick to Characters within the Animation sector - which brings me to....

The Magic of Disney Animation - A Virtual Reality Experience

With the technology of The Void at Disney Springs, and a look at Disney MGM Studios historically brings a new element to discovering the older process of Disney Animation.

Similar in tribute to the "Back to Neverland" movie shown at the old MGM Animation Studio, pick your favorite Disney Animated feature out of the list (The Lion King, Peter Pan, Frozen, Toy Story) and go on a virtual reality experience through multilane cameras, tablets, and much more!

I love this idea! It reminds me of an alternate universe disneyquest where disney went all out with the vr. However there isn't a whole lot here on exactly how the vr will be set up here. Is the theater going to be remodeled with moving seats and goggles? Is the theater going to be gutted for this? other than that good job!

Pionmycake presents:

Knock knock.

Who's there?

The Doctor.

Doctor who?

Exactly.

gpVYs3T.jpg

-Reference Photos-​

LFCC-2009-14.jpg

Dalek​

p029sh8w.jpg

Cyberman​

images

Missy​

220px-TARDIS1.jpg

Tardis - exterior​

images

The Doctor​
This idea is really cool! It's a nice way to reuse the theaters without removing a lot. The set up reminds me of mission to mars. My only issue is that in this day in age, I think more than one show would be excellent for guest re-visitbility. But other than that good job!

TwilightZone

Original Poster
ROUND 2 (aka controversial round #1)
xr9JQF3k.png

ellen's energy adventure vs enchanted tiki room under new management
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

some similarities:
both were previous, non ip related attractions with ips added in
both used pop culture heavily
both became dated fast
both were great for air conditioning and naps
both were part of the start of Eisner's loss of touch
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
now it's time to choose which attraction was better and redo the better attraction!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
round 2 ends:  

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom