Barnum42's Trip Report Ramblings.

Well, I’m back home in England after spending two great weeks pushing my Mother in her wheelchair around the parks. (Whilst she is not wheelchair bound, she has a limited range courtesy of arthritis in the knee joints and a kink in her spine.)

So, here we go with week one:

Thursday 22nd April – clock off work at 17:30, ride back home throw the luggage in my car and make the 115 mile drive to my folks (who live not too far from Gatwick airport)

Friday 23rd April
Up at 5:30 in the AM. Dad gave Mother & I a lift to the Airport, where we had the baggage checked in by a very cheerful attendant, grabbed a spot of breakfast in the duty free area, boarded the Britannia aeroplane and were off to… Glasgow. Where it was belting down with rain. Once the plane had filled up we were off on the serious leg of the flight, landing on time at 17:40
We had a bit of a delay getting off the plane due to a problem finding a loaner wheelchair to get us to luggage reclaim (some thoughtless git stole the loaner that was to be provided for us and we had to wait around for a replacement.). A bloke who appeared to move like an old animatronic figure processed us through immigration, he had only one speed of movement – slow and no expression crossed his face.
Rumbled over to Alamo to pick up the rental car. The salesman there was very tenacious, trying to upgrade me from an economy compact to an SUV! He also did a big push to get me to spend $8 a day extra to up it to a Cavalier. I declined, as I have never been given a compact when that is all I ordered. When we went to pick up the car – it turned out to be a Cavalier!
An hour or so on 417 had us at the hotel – Quality Inn Polynesian in Kissimmee, situated between markers 10 and 11. Nothing to shout about, but it was clean and comfy , non-smoking with disabled rails in the bathroom for Mother. Due to the delays we were too late to get to Epcot, not to mention a tad tired, so we turned in.

Saturday 24th April
Started the day as all were – picked up some complimentary pastries, juice and newspaper from Reception and brought them back to the room.
The first park visited was our favourite – Animal Kingdom. Did a circuit of the park, making sure to say hello to the gorillas and tigers and have the first of many lunches at Flame Tree Barbeque. The live shows were as great as ever.
When the park closed and we had seen the gorillas put to bed we headed to Epcot where I was able to jump onto Mission Space with little wait. Hit Spaceship Earth then went for a circuit of World Showcase, where we just missed the last Masquerade performance. However the cast and fans were fill lingering after the show had ended. Much applause, hugging and shedding of tears to be seen.
Epcot was packed. I have never seen it this crowded – how do you cope at peak times? We headed back to base at 20:00. I do not know if there was something special going on this day as the park was never that crowded again.
CM of the day – Ron at Tarzan Rocks front of house, big smiles and happy attitude from him all the way.

Sunday 25th April
First stop Magic Kingdom. Space Mountain had a fifty minute wait just after 9:00 with two hours until the first fast pass availability! Headed to Splash Mountain and got on with little wait. (Splash is one of Mother’s favourite rides) The hopping Brer Rabbit was not working. We never once saw it working on the last trip, but would keep an eye out again to see if it would be fixed this time around. Lunch was at Columbia Harbour, fish and chips – anything to bypass burgers and other bread stuff that you get everywhere in Magic Kingdom – bar Pirata, which was closed for the duration.
Used Fast Pass for Space and Philarmagic – the only time I did for Philarmagic, the other times we hit it early enough for there to be no queue. On the TTA / Peoplemover we got a good view of Space Mountain with the lights on during a breakdown. Had the camcorder out of the bag PDQ!
Over to Epcot for my first Schoolbread of the trip – NOOOOOO! As well as the Norway restaurant being closed for the duration of my trip, the bakery was too!
As the crowds were back to normal we stayed for Illuminations. The first several effects did not fire – the first shooting star, fire barge blasts and firework volleys. After that it all ran to schedule.
CM of the Day – Skipper Robin on Jungle cruise, worked hard and kept the interaction going with all the guests.

Monday 26th April
Animal Kingdom, first thing was to grab a Fast Pass for the Safari (this became the norm at Animal Kingdom). Caught two performances of Festival of the Lion King and saw two completely different casts. Spotted some of the cast members from last year. I will be taping all or parts of this show on several occasions. I had made an edit from the Giraffe and Elephant sections last year, this year I intend to flesh it out with angles from Lion and Warthog.
The park was packed – at least two deep at all the exhibits on the trails. Hit Tusker house for the first time this trip – love the corn chowder. You can order it separate from the turkey wrap – Yum!
We were not in time to see the gorillas put to bed as they were apparently getting cranky and were retired early.
Hit the Studios at 17:30. Walked straight into Rock n Roller Coaster. They only had one door into the recording studio in operation. I thought that the lower door must be broken. Then a member of Custodial arrived with rags, a spray and set to work. I guess someone must have got a little too nervous prior to riding!
Ate at the Commissary, where I see they serve proper fries, good solid chunks of spud, not the piddly excuse you get at McDonalds and elsewhere.
Went to Tower of Terror. There was a family queuing in front of me, the girl of which did not want to ride as the drop scared her. I had a few laughs with the family, including my telling them that the chicken door was at the back of the lift.
Fantasmic was full – standing room only. Fortunately they have an area for wheelchairs raised above where others will stand, this area was not full so I stood alongside Mother and enjoyed the show.
CM of the Day – Ken the safari driver. Good personality, not just reeling off the spiel. Also spotted him keeping this up on other days when handling the queues and boarding
Other CM of the Day – Sol, Custodial in the Studios. Had a chat with him near Star Tours, he used to be stationed at the US Air force base at Fairford in England. All round good bloke taking pride in his job. A job which he acknowledges is not the most mentally taxing of endeavours.

Tuesday 27th April
Animal Kingdom. Whilst having lunch at Flame Tree Barbeque, saw a mother and two teenage girls throwing their trash at the flap of the trashcan rather than pushing the flap first. Turns out they are scared of “catching something” from another persons food. It’s a new one on me.
Taped Lion King for the fist time this trip – one problem caused by an annoying brat who kept kicking and pushing me. All the parent did was say, “don’t do that”. She made no attempt to stop him. I had to physically take hold of him and place him back in his seat. Did not spoil the show. The flying bird lady was not present, so the red male bird performed a solo dance during “Can You Feel the Love Tonight?”, using it to bring the two singers together, who also sang over the musical break where the flying normally took place. This happened in more than one performance during our stay where either one or the other of the birds was not present.
At Tarzan Rocks we discovered that there is room for two or three wheelchairs right at the very front. This has led me to taping the show again to get new angles for inclusion in my edit from last year.
Went over to Magic Kingdom to see Wishes. I had a pleasant surprise at how tasty the Steak Sub was at Cosmic Rays. Jumping rabbit in Splash Mountain is still broken. Waiting for Wishes to start we met a lady that I can best describe as a Big Mamma. I don’t know if that is a term that is frowned upon in these politically correct days, but she was a black lady of a large frame from Tennessee with a big smile two great grand children and was a joy to be around. Wishes was enjoyable, but this would be the only time we saw it. The log jam to get out of the park, plus how crowded it got in the lead up to it was a bit much – especially when you do not want to crack ankles with a wheelchair.

Wednesday 28th April
Animal Kingdom from start of day ‘till closing. Found out why the benches at the front of the Lion King Theatre wobble when an ECV driver slammed straight into the end of one lifting the seat up and wedging the ECV under it!
Epcot for dinner in the counter service at Epcot, had the chicken and lamb platter. Why eat burgers when there are delights like this to be had?
I rode Mission Space with a mother and her two kids. I am not sure what the mother was thinking because her little girl was terrified and I think had been forced onto it. It was not until the capsule was ready to go that the mother thought better of her actions, by then it was too late. The poor little girl sounded too scared to actually cry. The ride was not enjoyable as I really felt for the child.
Stopped off at Walmart to stock up on a few supplies. It must have been national employ pillocks day as none of the queues at the checkouts were moving. Gave up waiting and left empty handed.
CM of the day – Jeff in the bird section of Pangani Trail. He is involved in the husbandry of the birds in the park and can also be found on the Maharajah Jungle trek. He knows a lot about the birds, loves to talk to people about them and share his enthusiasm.

Thursday 29th April.
Magic Kingdom. Space Mountain was a straight walk on this morning. Splash Mountain rabbit is working! Will have to tape it next time. Noticed that a frog in the laughing place that was broken had been removed (It was back and singing a couple of days later).
Caught Tomorrowland Countdown for the first time this trip, great music as always. Tried another of the Steak Subs. Unfortunately this one tasted as bland as I originally expected and was not a patch on the one I last had.
Over to Animal Kingdom in the afternoon. The tigers were particularly active and I got some good shots.
Had dinner at the Animal Kindom Lodge in Boma. Gorgeous grub and filled myself to bursting. Methinks another visit here will be in order. Walked off that bloated feeling by looking at the savannah views and listening to the storyteller at the outside fire pit. He was amazing, getting the kids immersed in the tale by asking them questions and their opinions. Walked off more of the dinner at Downtown Disney.
CM of the day – Russell at Splash Mountain chatting to people as they passed him in the outside queue area, making sure they were ready to get wet.
Other CM of the day would be the Storyteller, but I did not catch his name – though I have a photo of him.

Hopefully I’ll get week two down shortly before it disappears under a pile of procrastination or stopped by cries of “Enough already”

imagineer99

Originally posted by barnum42

CM of the Day – Ken the safari driver. Good personality, not just reeling off the spiel. Also spotted him keeping this up on other days when handling the queues and boarding

When I went to AK last July, I got a Safari Driver named Ken. He was the best one that I have ever had. He was informative, funny, and also managed to make the spiel seem unrehearsed.

Glad you had a good time!:)

cherrynegra

Barnum, I loved your trip report. You are too funny girl. Very Hi-Larious!! National employ pillocks day? :lol: I love the English wit. So dry. And you're a good person to take mom along as well. Sounds like you two had a very memorable trip.

tenchu

Originally posted by cherrynegra
Barnum, I loved your trip report. You are too funny girl. Very Hi-Larious!! National employ pillocks day? :lol: I love the English wit. So dry. And you're a good person to take mom along as well. Sounds like you two had a very memorable trip.

Psst. :lookaroun

(Barnum's a bloke. :lookaroun )

I won't hold that against you though, great trip report. :lol:

:wave:

cherrynegra

Originally posted by tenchu
Psst. :lookaroun

(Barnum's a bloke. :lookaroun )

I won't hold that against you though, great trip report. :lol:

:wave:

:brick: :lol: Well, turn around is fair play. Considering A LOT of members mistook me for a woman as well.:lol:

MKCP 1985

Now here's a report I've been waiting to read. Your fondness of the AK resort really shows through, barnum42. I didn't see your report of Chester and Hester, though. ??? :confused: :lol:

. . . and let's hear what Mum has to say about it all, while you're at it!

barnum42

Original Poster
Originally posted by MKCP 1986
Now here's a report I've been waiting to read. Your fondness of the AK resort really shows through, barnum42. I didn't see your report of Chester and Hester, though. ??? :confused: :lol:

. . . and let's hear what Mum has to say about it all, while you're at it!
Strange that about Chester and Hesters! I forgot to tape it last time and meant to rectify it on this trip. Guess what - I forgot again :lol:

I would ride Primeval Whirl if there was a short queue, but that was about it for here (Dinosaur was closed).

As for Mother's trip report, she is the queen of procrastination, so you would have a long wait. But you never know.

To precis, she loved the animals, especially the tigers and gorillas. And she loved all the grub, the shows and being pushed around the parks for two weeks. :cool:

barnum42

Original Poster
OK - Here is part two.

Friday 30th April:
At the parking lot we came across Ms Jobsworth the parking attendant who refused us access to the disability lot. In advance of our visit last year I verified with Disney what the policy is on use of the disabled lot. We were told that despite having no disabled badge (Mother does not have one as the kind souls at the centre she took the test in England stated that because she could walk, albeit in pain and with a stick she was not entitled to one, but that’s another matter), as I was saying Disney policy was that you could still use the disabled lot as long as you parked in the bays with only blue writing, not those with a sign on a post. We have never had any problems with this until Miss Jobsworth. I had to leave Mother in her wheelchair on her own at the front of the park then find a parking bay and make my way back to her. It put a dent in the start of the day, but fortunately it did not last very long.
Caught Lion King a couple of times, at one performance we were sat next to a lady whose neighbour was in the show. At this performance he was playing the buffalo, and very good he was too. We noticed him at future performances and he kept the same energy up as when his neighbour was in. I forgot to mention in part one of the report an outstanding girl dancer in this show. We saw her playing either the snake or the giraffe. Good as the other girls are, and there were others we singled out, this girl’s movements had extra zap and her face burst with life every second she was onstage. I figured she had to be the Dance Captain, and from then on we always referred to her as “Captain”. It appears the front of house CMs do not know the cast, but we asked one to send a message back to her, which would be done via the stage manager.
(Footnote to the Politically correct crowd who denounce the use of “girl” as demeaning to a grown adult woman – Fist, I don’t give a rat’s about PC, and second in the professional dance world dancers are always referred to as “boys” and “girls”. I don’t know why they never get to grow up, but that’s the way it is)
Thunder storms moved in, so we used the time to head to Florida Mall for Mother to stock up on her pongs (Clinique). We then hit Olive Garden in the evening.
CM of the Day – Dave at Festival of the Lion King. He taught the hand jive to each section in turn, getting the previous sections to join in. He had a great way with each “volunteer”. I also spotted him at his other posts on different days, always giving it his all.

Saturday 1st May
Magic Kingdom – spotted PixieDuster at the entrance doing her survey thing, paused to say “hello”, but did not want to delay her from getting the quota in and getting in trouble with the suits. I can report she is a nice in real life as on these boards.
Went to tape the rabbit on Splash Mountain, but it was broken again! Went over to Tomorrowland to catch the first Tomorrowland Countdown show of the day, but they were trying to figure out where to perform – a number of tents from a radio station had been set up on their regular patch. In the end they set up in front of the temprorary stage. On said stage’s board, it was listed that a high school girls choir were to perform immediately after Tomorrowland Countdown had finished their set. Not an easy position to be in, having to follow that act!
Over to Animal Kingdom for Turkey Wrap and Corn Chowder in Tusker House. Naturally saw Lion King and Tarzan. We were in time to put the gorillas to bed.
Then onto the Studios to pick up the Annual Passholder coins. Went on the Animation no longer a tour. Very sad as they kept mentioning the productivity of the Florida studio, from the shorts to feature segments to entire feature films. No mention of the facility having been closed. Despite this I liked the Mushu presentation. In the academy we were set the task of drawing Goofy. At the end of this segment when we were leaving the artist from the first presentation came in and asked if I’d been given the goofy drawing I had made by the artist up front! (I guess he says that to all the guests).
Saw Beauty & the Beast – still not as good as Hunchback, but a decent little show, especially Four for a Dollar.
Headed to Fantasmic, but did not like the look of the storm clouds, so headed to the car just as the rain started down. Pointed the car to Animal Kingdom Lodge and ate at Mara – the mostly counter service eatery. I had the African Stew and have to say it was delicious. I highly recommend it.
CM of the Day – Vicky at Festival of the Lion King. All smiles when seating us.
Other CM of the Day – Mariani in Asia section, she recognised us from our many visits and wondered if we lived in the area. We would say plenty more “hellos” before the week was out.
Yet another CM of the Day – Georgie on the Ice Cream cart in Dinoland just over the bridge. All I did was buy a bottle of Diet Coke, but she gave true service with a smile.

Sunday 2nd May
Magic Kingdom – hit the mountains as per usual. Rabbit still broken, Tomorrowland Countdown still sounding great back in their usual spot sans tents. Grabbed a couple of Ice Cream sundaes then Mother was serenaded by the Dapper Dans.
Epcot in the early afternoon – Ride Mission Space, but have yet to go on Test Track this trip. The queue has always been too long and fast passes gone. Today the ride was broken when I looked and fast passes were taken up for the next four or five hours. Ate in Mexico and toured the world. The new film in China is very good. Lightning started to move in again at 8:30, so we made our way to Mara in Animal Kingdom Lodge.
CM of the Day – Maria at Imagination Loading bay, a bundle of energy and laughs.

Monday 3rd May:
Animal Kingdom, no problems with parking today. At the start of the day it was raining, then it poured down after which it tipped buckets then persistently precipitated… this was not a dry day folks! However this brings out the animals. When going down the path at the back of the Tree of Life we discovered a Saddle Billed Stork standing right at the edge of the fence (they are normally down by the water’s edge). As we were getting a good close look at this big bird the Guinea Fowl that shares its enclosure made it onto the top of the fence and was standing right next to me without a concern in the world.
At Lion King my favourite blue bird was on, so I taped that segment. Not easy as the auto focus can get easily thrown out. At Tarzan I taped the whole show from the front centre keeping the camera pointing forwards in the hope I get a decent recording of the sound.
On the Maharajah Jungle Trek I saw something that surprised me – the Komodo Dragon was moving! I always pictured a keeper coming out with him under his arm of a morning then picking which rock on which to deposit him! Spoke to the CM who was at the exhibit – Mitch – who told me there are a couple of the dragons and only one is on display at a time. This was the more active one. Mitch has even seen it zoom at quite a speed to try and catch a duck that had landed in the pond.
Over to the Studios. On the Great Movie Ride I gather they have given up fixing the Busby Berkley scene. When the park first opened, it used to rotate but I have not seen it do that for years. Again the storm clouds moved in, so we headed to dinner at Olive Garden, where I ate too much and walked it off at Disney Market Place.
CM of the Day – Mitch the Komodo Dragon man.

Tuesday 4th May:
Magic Kingdom – Still to get the rabbit on tape as it’s still broken. Mother bought the Kaa snake soft toy puppet for Dad as he’s always asking what happened to the snake draught excluder they used to have. Now they have a new one! Tried to watch the Cinderella show on the Castle stage. However parents with kids in the front row insisted on sticking them on their shoulders – very considerate to those behind. Also had parents barge in front of Mother’s wheelchair, which does not aid her already limited viewpoint. Where is that thread on inconsiderate guests?
Animal Kingdom – Ate at Pizzafari for the first time ever. Pleasantly surprised by the tasty sandwich I had and the slice of pizza I had from Mother.
Spotted a child with the shortest attention span ever when looking at the tigers. She had obviously been trying to find them and upon doing so said the following without any pauses or punctuation: “Oh there they are lets go” and promptly disappeared. She did not even break stride!
Epcot – finally made it onto Test Track, the car made it one length out of the loading bay and the whole ride ground to a halt for five minutes. It then started up again and kept going until the brake test with anti-lock engaged. The car I was in started it’s high speed run despite the fact the car in front was only slowly pootling along and was only half way down that bit of track. Thankfully the emergency stop worked on our car. The one in front limped along the end of the test, then got back in gear and sped off. The rest of the ride went to plan.
Ate in Japan and enjoyed Illuminations.
CM of the day – Elton in Space Mountain. Goofing with the guests at the point you first get on the train where the lap bar does not lock into place (this happens at the next position) he was telling people that as the bar had not locked to hold on extra tight. Especially during the loops! He then ‘fessed up that he was teasing. It all added to the atmosphere.
Other CM of the day – Lesley in Pizzafari she was cleaning the tables and noticed a family splitting a pizza and coke between a couple of kids, she went away and brought them a second plate and cup. Another cheery happy CM!
Yet another CM of the day – Sharen on Maharaja Jungle Trek, passing out info to the guests about the tigers, and sharing laughs with them
And one more CM of the day. It was past closing time and we were making our way out of Maharajah Jungle Trek when we started chatting to Joan and did so all the way out and around the outside back to the entrance where she left us to attend a meeting.
How many CMs of the day can there be? Here’s another – Pat in Epcot Custodial, joking around with a child who was trying to peer back stage by the base of Spaceship Earth. When Pat re-immerged he had a big cheery hello for me and we chatted about the kid he had been joking with.

Wednesday 5th May
Animal Kingdom – Ms Jobsworth was back on duty. Rather than deposit Mother at the entrance I pulled into the vacant bay across from Jobsworth in the as yet unused part of the lot as it’s not far from the Diamond lot and less trouble than dropping off someone at the gate and leaving them ‘till you park elsewhere.
In the bird section of the Pangani Trail a gorgeous bird alighted on the wire fence next to us. I got a couple of good snaps then found Jeff who informed me it was a Red Crested Turaco that used to be a Rafikis Planet Watch and had been trained to be handled. Consequently when they let it out (it is not out all the time) it is very friendly with the guests. Spotted Joan again in Flights of Wonder.
In the morning the gorilla family group were particularly active, but we missed the bedtime stations of the bachelors later in the day as this had been brought forward to 16:40.
Studios – watch the One Man’s Dream Film. How vomit inducing is Eisner’s sycophantic narration. I figured it was OK to “boooo” the villain of this particular film. There you have Eisner agreeing with Disney’s philosophy of “Quality will out”, when it appears Eisner is intent on Willing quality out.
Tower of Terror and Rock n’ Roller were both walk-ons with little queuing. I did the tourist thing with the Singing in the Rain Umbrella and Star Wars speeder bike photos.
Over to Boma at Animal Kingdom Lodge for another great meal – paced self to get the most out of it. Then had a go on the night vision goggles and enjoyed the peace and quiet of the whole area, just listening to the crickets chirping. Bristol is going to seem so noisy after this – as I type this a car alarm has just gone off to prove the point. I kid you not.

Thurday 6th May – Last full day.
Magic Kingdom – was surprised and delighted at seeing Merlin tell off a brat. He pointed out that he was someone the brat should respect, asked the brat what he had been told not to do (cross the rope) asked the brat what he had done (cross the rope) then asked what the brat should say (sorry), to which Merlin exclaimed “Apology Accepted” it was brilliant.
Saw the Dapper Dans early in the day. They chatted for a while reminiscing about Bub and the old location of the barbershop “Where it should be” I said to agreement all around. There was subtle appreciation when I mentioned having the Goodbye Michael Save Disney.com sticker on my rental car. They mentioned to come back at 1:00 for the performance with taps and the chime bells.
At the 1:00 show Mother was given the “Honorary Citizen of Magic Kingdom Badge”. After the set, whilst the other three took their well-deserved break Neel stayed out and chatted to us right though till the next set was due to begin. Turns out tomorrow is his thirty first anniversary in the park. We found out that he did not set out to be in entertainment, but used to work on the design of supersonic aircraft. We watched the next set – done inside the watch shop. Another great show, where a guest who performs barbershop got to sing the bass line in one of the numbers. We bid Neel and the others a fond farewell and headed to Animal Kingdom.
Made it in time for Lion King – I never tire of the show – then over to see very active Gorillas again and caught the 16:30 stations of the bachelors, giving us time to see the tigers in a playful mood. Saw Mitch again as he was doing the sweep to clear the trail of guests at closing. On the way out we say Mariane again doing traffic cop duty to stop stay guests going back into the park. She was chatting to off duty CM Colleen we struck up a conversation and were approached by Bill from security. It was almost as if they had called him over to get rid of the hanging on Britons. We had a laugh about this. Especially as Old Bill is a British term for the Police. Bill said he was known more as “Dollar Bill” as people always seem to want a hand out. Colleen accompanied us out to the turnstiles, very cheery and chatty, keeping the show up even though she was off duty and out of costume.
Pondered going back to Magic Kingdom, but settled on Epcot. Strange wait times on Mission Space – Single Rider line 15 minutes. Standby 5 minutes! I went on standby. We did a final lap of the world then settled into the wheelchair viewing area for Illunminations where we met Jim & Bryon. It was here we found out that there is a story to Illuminations – the evolution of the planet and life upon it, from the big bang onwards. The images on the globe make sense when you realise this. We chatted to Bill and Bryon after the show, Mother and Bill were like the proverbial two peas in a pod when the subject of Bea Arthur in Golden Girls came up. I had to take a snap of them which I will email on to the lads. Made it to Mara at 10:30 for my last African Stew. Also a big bonus – they had Zebra Domes amongst the deserts. Took some more snaps and strolled the grounds before heading back to the hotel.
CM of the Day – Rob at Magic Kingdom Monorail Station. We had many people put down the wheelchair ramp, but Rob took that extra moment to acknowledge us as more than mere cargo.
Other CM of the Day – Bethany in Festival of the Lion King. Another happy camper who seated us.
Yet another CM of the Day – Colleen, normally to be found at the entrance, she kept the show going when out of costume and off duty. Top notch.
Whilst I’m about it – Bill from Security.

Friday 7th May – Flying home day.
Decided to spend all of the final day at Animal Kingdom (no surprises there!) Caught two more performances of Lion King – Captain was in both shows. A final safari, final Flame Tree barbeque and a lap of the park to say goodbye to the animas then leaving before the parade started. On our way to the car I spotted that Mickey was there in his safari outfit and no queue. The last photo taken on the trip is Mother and I with the Main Mouse. Drove to Sanford with smiles on our faces and headed back to England on the overnight flight.
CM of the Day – Kat at the loading bay on the Safari, another big cheery smiler.
Other CM of the Day – Barbara on the till at Flame Tree Barbeque, managed to do more than just take the money without holding up the lins.

Now I have several hundred photos to go though and tons of video to edit. That should keep me occupied for some time to come.

Woody13

WOW!:) That was an excellent trip report Barnum. Your true love and enjoyment of WDW really shines and casts a wonderful light on your experiences. I really liked the way you made the effort to recognize "CM's of the Day". That was a very special touch.

You have a very fresh perspective on food, entertainment and just enjoying yourself! Reading about your food preferences was very interesting. I wish you'd eat a turkey leg and tell us what you think! I bet you that would be a fun story!

I even enjoyed your descriptions of the "bad" experiences you and your Mom encountered (Ms Jobsworth for example).

You are quite a guy and a very good Son too! Thank you for the great trip report!:wave:

Enjoyed your trip report very much!

I am sitting here trying to figure out how many times you saw FOTLK in this trip. :D

I really like your mention of the CM(s) of the day. It's nice to hear some good things mentioned about the CM's on this board.:animwink:

barnum42

Original Poster
Originally posted by Woody13
I wish you'd eat a turkey leg and tell us what you think! I bet you that would be a fun story!
We had had a turkey leg at Magic Kingdom – not a morsel one can chomp on whilst pushing a wheelchair – the juices were running out of the leg and almost hitting my camera back that was hanging on the back of the wheelchair.

We settled down on the wooden walkway that runs the length of Frontier land and set to – after a few chunks were bitten off I was able to tear bits away to share with Mother. The thing I have noticed when eating one of these puppies is the wide eyed stare you get from everyone who passes – particularly little kids and large birds.

Important tip – get a stack of napkins or you will end up with very sticky wheelchair handles. Should this occur, just park on the bridge to Splash Mountain and wait for the third log to dispense a refreshing shower of water.

(OK – I did not do the latter, but it’s worth bearing in mind for future reference)

Gucci65

You mentioned several times "putting the gorillas to bed"....is this an actual event OR you just saying goodnight?

If it's an actual event, could you give me more information? Sounds very interesting.

barnum42

Original Poster
Originally posted by Gucci65
You mentioned several times "putting the gorillas to bed"....is this an actual event OR you just saying goodnight?

If it's an actual event, could you give me more information? Sounds very interesting.
There are two gorilla groups at AK, the Family group and the Bachelor group. The Bachelor group consist for four apes, one old boy who is in his twenties and three teens. At bedtime the teens can be a bit raucous, so they have been trained to sit at stations whilst the old boy goes to bed in peace.

You will need to ask CMs when this will be, as it seems to happen anytime between 4:30 and 5:00. What happens is that the old boy will sit himself way off to the left of the exhibit, near to the bridge. A keeper will appear in the central area with a bucket containing some gorilla treats and a set of bells. At the sound of the bells the three teens will sit in pre defined locations, thus allowing the old boy to head to bed in peace – he has a sound cue also, but usually sets off as soon as he hears the bedroom door open.

The three teens must sit in the correct place in a non-threatening posture. When each one has assumed the correct position, the keeper will point at him with two fingers to indicate that they have done what was required and they are then thrown a treat, which changes daily and is often a frozen goodie. Once it is confirmed that the old boy is safe in bed (where a food treat is awaiting him), the teens all get another treat and a hand signal to tell them they can now go. Two of them usually head straight to bed, if they have a frozen treat the third may go to one of the rocks where he will hit it against said rock to break it up into smaller pieces.

It’s nice to see and a good photo opportunity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom