Bad times for SGE

astro

Original Poster
Well as it currently stands, both chambers have their problems but one does seem to offer a better experience.

You'll find one chamber with it's constant smell of smoke and erratic cannons with the other chamber (the one with the HD screen) some random sounds at random times, listen for the huge 'boom' when Stitch escapes for the first time into the dark. Very strange.

It just makes me think it wouldn't hurt to take it down for a very short period of time to get this things straightened out. But then if these can sorted by maintenance during their time with the attraction every night then keep on plugging.

RSoxNo1

Part of the problem of places like Fantasyland is that people view it as a "catch all" for all characters much in the same way that Hollywood Studios is a "catch all" for movies. Couple that with the fact that the themes in both the Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios exist elsewhere in other Disney Parks, and it helps to explain why those two parks are more apt to receive upgrades over Epcot and Animal Kingdom which both typically require unique offerings.

Tigerace81

When I rode SGE about 4 weeks ago one of the blasters didnt come "out" of the ceiling where its locked, but the screen in the ride showed both blasters crosshairs dashing across the room. I also noticed that if you want your OTSR doesnt lock into place and they can be pushed up during the ride. So in a way I could effectively pushed it off of my body and walked around the ride, but they have a CM in the ride so I dont know if this was new or not.

GymLeaderPhil

When I rode SGE about 4 weeks ago one of the blasters didnt come "out" of the ceiling where its locked, but the screen in the ride showed both blasters crosshairs dashing across the room. I also noticed that if you want your OTSR doesnt lock into place and they can be pushed up during the ride. So in a way I could effectively pushed it off of my body and walked around the ride, but they have a CM in the ride so I dont know if this was new or not.
Are you are referring to the restraints that come down over your shoulder? They do not lock into place since their only function is to provide the sensory effects. You have always been able to push up on them provided you push hard enough.

If anything I wish they would have rethought the use of the restraints when switching from AE to SGE because of the constant confusion by first time visitors that the theater will be moving.

Both cannons are not necessary. Shortly after opening they reconfigured the animation on both of the KUKA arms in each theater so that (ideally) should one cannon stop working that the other cannon will be pointing in the direction where the other one should be shooting (mostly.) If both cannons are down then they must take that theater down to fix at least one.

Rob562

Are you are referring to the restraints that come down over your shoulder? They do not lock into place since their only function is to provide the sensory effects. You have always been able to push up on them provided you push hard enough.

If anything I wish they would have rethought the use of the restraints when switching from AE to SGE because of the constant confusion by first time visitors that the theater will be moving.

Well, the restraints are really two-fold:
They keep Guests in their seats in a pitch-black attraction (though as you mention they're not true restraints, as they don't lock).
But they also serve to position the headrest speakers at the proper heights for each Guest to experience the binaural sound. They would have to come up with a different way of positioning the speakers.

-Rob

Tigerace81

Both cannons are not necessary. Shortly after opening they reconfigured the animation on both of the KUKA arms in each theater so that (ideally) should one cannon stop working that the other cannon will be pointing in the direction where the other one should be shooting (mostly.) If both cannons are down then they must take that theater down to fix at least one.

I thought the headrests always locked into place but the last time I had rode SGE prior to this trip was in 2006. And even then I remember seeing both cannons in action instead of one not moving. You would think a repair like that would be able to happen overnight as it was also broke 3 days before I rode it last when we hit Magic Kingdom to waste some time before reservations. We got the same theater that day as we did the other time and the same cannon was out both times.

SoccerMickey

I thought the headrests always locked into place but the last time I had rode SGE prior to this trip was in 2006. And even then I remember seeing both cannons in action instead of one not moving. You would think a repair like that would be able to happen overnight as it was also broke 3 days before I rode it last when we hit Magic Kingdom to waste some time before reservations. We got the same theater that day as we did the other time and the same cannon was out both times.

The restraints can actually be lifted back up throughout the show. If you move your restraint up though a CM will probably come over to you and tell you that you either need to lower it back to fit around your head or leave the theatre.

GymLeaderPhil

You would think a repair like that would be able to happen overnight as it was also broke 3 days before I rode it last when we hit Magic Kingdom to waste some time before reservations.
I completely agree. Sadly a variety of factors prevents everything being in tip-top shape (allotted time to fix, late closings/early openings, lack of qualified CMs to repair it, do they have the components to fix it, complexity of effect, popularity of the attraction versus others, TDO's unwillingness to sacrifice capacity, etc.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom