Bad Pirates Experience

O'Malley

Original Poster
Well, after hundreds of visits to the Magic Kingdom over a 20 year period (visiting this park 4 to 5 times each trip), I can honestly say we had our worst experience ever at any Disney park.

On November 16th, after 9 days of enjoying repeated trips to the four Disney Parks, as well as a surprisingly decent time at Universal (The Mummy ride is incredible), we finally visited Pirates Of The Caribbean (we usually wait until nighttime when the lines are non-existent, and this was the first time we were in MK at night on this trip). We boarded at 6:05 pm, thought we would ride it once, then grab dinner at Casey's, then grab a good view of the fireworks at 7:00 pm from the Main Street Train station. We saw the fireworks the previous evening, but it was raining. :cry:

The Pirates ride went flawlessly as usual, until our boat backed up at the last scene (Pirates and the gold), just before unloading. No problem, we've experienced boat backups before, and we were only the third boat back for unloading. After about 1 minute of sitting there (and two more boats piled up behind us), I began to think something may have gone wrong with the ride. There was no Cast Member in the unload area at the podium. We waited patiently. After 5 minutes without any activity (that's a long time to hear the same soundtrack repeated over and over, believe me), I began to think we may be evacuated. This was actually exciting for us (ok, I guess we've been to Disney World too many times!), as we've never experienced an evacuation on a Disney boat ride before. :) Our excitement started to diminish as another 5 minutes went by with absolutely NO activity anywhere, and boat loads of people looking around wondering what was going on. I remarked to my wife that I would bet that boats were backed up to the Pirate Ship/Cannons area, and we both smiled. We waited patiently. :veryconfu

Well, this wasn't very amusing anymore. After ANOTHER 10 minutes of sitting, with no Cast Member in sight, and the soundtrack still running, I began to think a Cast Member abandoned their post as a joke (maybe their last day?). I glanced at my watch, and it was now 6:30 pm. My wife remarked that we may have to skip dinner and head right to the fireworks. I reassured her that everything would be ok, and the ride should start at any moment. :lookaroun

Another 10 minutes goes by, no activity whatsoever. People in the first boat, which was within a few feet of the unloading dock, began to climb over seats and exit, ignoring warnings from a speaker to remain seated. We (and at least 6 other boats that I could see) were still stranded without explanation. Finally, a Cast Member appears at the unload podium :) but immediately gets on the phone, and purposely does not make eye contact with the hundred or so people facing him in our stuck boats. After ANOTHER 5 minutes of NO explanation, people in the second boat decide to abandon ship, which was immediately greeted again with a loud speaker telling them to remain seated.

We were completely trapped, and helpless. Finally, the house lights go up, the soundtrack is killed (which was greeted with loud cheering). It was now 6:45 pm, and we had spent 35 minutes stuck in a boat with no explantion.

The evacuation procedures were horrendous. It took at least 10 minutes to unload each boat using a makeshift ramp. A Cast Member pushed a few boats backwards into the "city on fire" scene, and they disappeared. We waited patiently as we saw the boat behind our boat evacuated. Finally, after another 10 minutes of apparent confusion on the Cast Members, a ramp was brought to our boat. I actually lifted a woman's wheelchair out of our boat for her, as it was obvious she was in pain and now very uncomfortable sitting on the hard plastic boat benches for over an hour.

We were finally led backstage at 7:15 pm. We saw water pipes, locker rooms, you name it. There wasn't a single Cast Member that even apologized. When we finally made it out to Adventureland at 7:20, the fireworks were over, and we now had to battle thousands of happy people that had just had a magical night watching fireworks, to get out to the Monorail.

My wife was almost in tears, and she said she never wanted to ride Pirates again. We left the park completely depressed. The magic was gone. :(

The next two days were spent in MGM, Animal Kingdom, and Epcot, and we tried to forget about the Pirates experience.

The Pirates evacuation was one of the worst pieces of work I have ever witnessed. I tried to reassure my wife that at least there wasn't a fire, as we would have all burned by the time Cast Members even noticed there was a problem.

I realize rides break down from time to time, but the incompetence exhibited by Cast Members, leaving Guests stranded for 35 minutes with absolutely no contact, then another 30 minutes to evacuate a boat that was within 3 feet of a ledge, and 30 feet from an unloading platform, was simply ridiculous. And to not even have a simple "sorry folks" from arguably the greatest Theme Park members on Earth, left us with a bitter taste in our mouths. :brick:

Of course, we will be back at Disney next year for another two weeks of fun and sunshine, but my wife swears she will never ride Pirates Of The Caribbean again, which is a shame as that was her 3rd favorite ride in MK behind Splash Mountain and Buzz Lightyear.

StevenT

That is a real shame that that happened to you. Rides break down, I'm sure you know that, but I agree that it is not the best customer service to leave your park-goers stuck in a boat for an hour with no explanation or appology. I suggest you e-mail Disney about this situation and let them know. I don't have the e-mail but somebody does and I'm sure they'll post it.

Ariel17

Oh wow, I've never heard of anything like that happening before. And you were never given any kind of explanation? :confused:

walts son 1971

Account Suspended
I would be interested in hearing from someone else who was stuck on the ride who may have seen what happened.Yes they should have announced there was a problem and it maybe a little while.I work for a company that deals with a lot of the public and we have been told to never say you are sorry because that admits blame on the company.There may have been a serious problem and all castmembers where needed in one area,I suggest finding out the full story,remember these rides are ran by college kids

Swfewrmco

O'Malley said:
Of course, we will be back at Disney next year for another two weeks of fun and sunshine, but my wife swears she will never ride Pirates Of The Caribbean again, which is a shame as that was her 3rd favorite ride in MK behind Splash Mountain and Buzz Lightyear.

Build a bridge and get over it.

ruca

Once I was on Dinosaur when it broke down. I was near the exit. The cast members told us to remain in our seats and that they'd be right back but they never came back. Finally we all hoped out and left. I felt sorry for the people inside the main part of the ride.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
dizryan said:
Build a bridge and get over it.

EXACTLY! some of us would just appreciate being there to be honest. i wouldnt care if i got stuck or not.

come on dude, look at the bigger picture here.................. you were inconveinenced for 35 minutes and your whole day is ruined. hopefully next time youll be glad to be there period and can laugh it off.

Gail Hayden

jmaxwell007 said:
EXACTLY! some of us would just appreciate being there to be honest. i wouldnt care if i got stuck or not.

come on dude, look at the bigger picture here.................. you were inconveinenced for 35 minutes and your whole day is ruined. hopefully next time youll be glad to be there period and can laugh it off.
I cannot believe you find this occurance acceptable in any way. I would care if I were stuck on a ride for 35 minutes without any explaination or apology.
I would bet that they were not upset about being stuck so much as no explaination and no sense of what was going on. It is an example of VERY POOR GUEST RELATIONS.

O'Malley

Original Poster
I'm guessing that with all the Disney-holics we have on this site, someone must have been on the same ride we were at about 6:10 pm to 6:30 pm. I would also like to know from a Cast Member as to what happened. About 30 minutes into the ordeal, we heard a loud speaker say something like, "Ok Pirates, boot down and we're powering up". Of course, we thought that would start the ride (I'm sure the Cast Members did too), but that's when we realized we were stranded.

We also had another amusing incident while riding in the front car of the Monorail. Two 16-18 year old boys boarded with us, and one boy said he works at the Magic Kingdom. His friend sort of smirked, so I figured this kid has probably been using this line all day to impress people or pick up girls. I asked him which ride he operated, and he said Space Mountain. Sometimes these kids are so naive, I think they actually think they're fooling people! So I asked if they fixed the second backup green launch button that Jason had problems with last Saturday (I completely made this up, I have no idea where I came up with that), and the kid was immediately caught off guard, and he shut up for the rest of the trip.

I guess this kid still thought he was fooling people though. All the way down the long Epcot Monorail exit ramp he was hitting on girls, telling them he works in Disney, and he could get them on Space Mountain. :lol: Then I heard him ask his friend where Tower Of Terror was. :lol:

Sorry you had such a bad experience.

But realistically, you've been there before, and you were actually excited about seeing the 'behind the scenes' during the evacuation. I would be upset missing the fireworks also (my favorite nighttime show), but it happens and I've seen the fireworks before (just like you).

The only way to get over it is to go ride it again and try to enjoy it...then go see the fireworks, it will make it that much special.

Wilt Dasney

Gail Hayden said:
I cannot believe you find this occurance acceptable in any way. I would care if I were stuck on a ride for 35 minutes without any explaination or apology.
I would bet that they were not upset about being stuck so much as no explaination and no sense of what was going on. It is an example of VERY POOR GUEST RELATIONS.

Yep...the managers dropped the ball on this one. People are pretty forgiving, as long as you give them a chance to forgive. Essentially shooing them out the door like everything was hunky-dory was a terrible way to handle this. I can imagine my response if it had happened to me, and I would have felt very disheartened toward Disney for a couple days. Yeah, I would get over it eventually, but things like that bother me. Fire off an e-mail to Guest relations..and be specific. It'll get it off your chest, and you'll know that (in theory, at least) someone who needs to know about it will.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Gail Hayden said:

ok, little story. maybe i dont feel like it is acceptable, but im not going to let it ruin my day and leave all depressed becuase of one bad luck incident. and as for no CM addressing the crowd, maybe there was a situation were someone fell over board and they were all attending to that situation and was focused more on that then if dude in car #5 is tired of hearing "yo-ho".

my story is this, in 2000, on CoP, it broke down at the beginning of every scene. so by the end of the experience, we saw scene 1 4 times, scene 2 3times, scene 3 2times and the final once. yes, it was quite annoying singing "its a great big beautiful tomorrow" over and over, but we laughed it off and didnt let it ruin or day. never knew why, we just got this "please exit and refile in when the ride is reset".

O'Malley

Original Poster
By the way, it wasn't 35 minutes, it was over an hour. Like I said, I realize rides break down, but the incompetence portrayed by the Cast Members was unbelievable. We just never experienced this at any Disney Park before. Coincidentally, we were stopped a day or two earlier by a Cast Member asking us if they could send us an e-mail survey, which we said "yes" to. We've done this before, and always rank everything excellent or very good. However, after getting home from this trip, I had the opportunity to answer this survey in a slightly different tone.

Any way you look at it, a lousy evening at Disney is still better than a sunny day at Universal. :p

Swfewrmco

O'Malley said:
Coincidentally, we were stopped a day or two earlier by a Cast Member asking us if they could send us an e-mail survey, which we said "yes" to. We've done this before, and always rank everything excellent or very good. However, after getting home from this trip, I had the opportunity to answer this survey in a slightly different tone.

Way to hold a grudge. Perhaps you need to cross that bridge with your wife. Get over yourself.

OliveMcFly

Granted it was a cool experienece but that's a shame y'all missed the fireworks. I can't believe not one cast member even said sorry or explained what had happened. Did you think of contacting Disney?

Wilt Dasney

dizryan said:
Way to hold a grudge. Perhaps you need to cross that bridge with your wife. Get over yourself.

Answering a survey honestly is not "holding a grudge." If a waiter spits in your food and the manager asks how the experience was, are you going to tell him it was super? Disney needs to know this happened. I'm sure he put it in context and was fair when he explained it. :wave:

O'Malley

Original Poster
dizryan said:

Wow, I guess we should come to expect this at Disney then, and just ignore it? Believe me, WE accepted this as a fluke. It's never happened before. Other people on the other boats were not quite as civil. We're annual pass holders and live out of state. It didn't bother us as much as it bothered some other people on the boats that were obviously getting more and more frustrated. My wife wasn't upset that the ride broke down, but how the Cast Members ignored everyone.

We expect lousy treatment, poor ride operations, and confused cast members at Universal, but not at Disney.

cj2me

Didn't you ask anyone or put in a complaint after you got off the ride. At the very least when you got back to the hotel (if you stayed on Disney property) you should of mentioned it to guest relations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom