bad news from pop century

Status
Not open for further replies.

twx24me

tigsmom said:
Sweeping generalizations drive me insane. My kids are 17 & 11 and I still don't let them out of my sight when we are at the pools or the beach.

Dont be so sensitive, I am sure you are a great mother. I didnt mean to say that no parent watches their kids. I was just making an observation that when I was at the pool, during the week I was there. There were a good amount of parents, lying on the chairs flat, reading books, or at the bar. They didnt have watch over their kids. I know that most parents do watch their kids. Sorry, if I didnt make myself clear enough.

gbrooks135

I work at a resort hotel here in Myrtle Beach and I see kids about 5 to 8 years old running in the halls playing in the elevators all wile there parents are at the bar or just no where to be seen. :brick: and with all of the kidnappings and stuff going around makes me feel sorry for the kids that there parents don't love them enough to keep them safe.:( and yes they do leave them in the pools alone, and we don't have lifeguards. it just makes me so mad that the parents do that. I know this was not Disney related, but after reading this thread I had to make a post about this topic.

tigsmom

twx24me said:
Dont be so sensitive, I am sure you are a great mother. I didnt mean to say that no parent watches their kids. I was just making an observation that when I was at the pool, during the week I was there. There were a good amount of parents, lying on the chairs flat, reading books, or at the bar. They didnt have watch over their kids. I know that most parents do watch their kids. Sorry, if I didnt make myself clear enough.

As I said earlier sweeping generalizations drive me insane. Its like saying that a kid drowned because all the lifeguards don't pay attention, they are too busy flirting (yep, I've seen that happen).

:wave:

maelstrom

SpongeScott said:
A little strong, isn't that? You know nothing of the situation other than the very brief info given here. God forbid that something would ever happen when you have children.

If that child was in the pool and the parents were in fact not around, no, I don't think that is too strong. When/if I have children and they are in a pool, I will be there, watching them. Not to say that just because I'm there, they won't maybe slip on the bottom of the pool and go under and get scared and start to drown (this happened to me when I was little), but I'd be right there to jump in and assist.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Kinda going off on a tangent here, but..................

I think that schools should teach reading, writing, arithmetic and swimming !!

It's a life skill no one should be without.

finan03

twx24me said:
There were a good amount of parents, lying on the chairs flat, reading books, or at the bar. They didnt have watch over their kids. I know that most parents do watch their kids. Sorry, if I didnt make myself clear enough.

but at the same time, isnt the purpose of going on a disney vacation RELAXING? it's not really fair to expect a mom or pop to keep constant watch on their kids when it's their down time also.
i think that glancing up and making sure your kids okay every now and then is okay, so long as you dont lose track of your time.

and if you do, thats why the lifeguards are there.

finan03

unkadug said:
Kinda going off on a tangent here, but..................

I think that schools should teach reading, writing, arithmetic and swimming !!

It's a life skill no one should be without.

hahaha :sohappy: i agreee!!!!!

i have a tangent of my own:

when its clear you or your wife is pregnant, all parents must learn CPR and BASIC first-aid, lifesaving skills.

sounds a bit unnecessary to most ... but there are some rather dim-witted people in the world who may do well with this class.

maelstrom

teaching kids how to swim is one thing. but will they ever really grasp it is another thing. i'm 20. i went to swimming lessons for years and years and years. i know *how* to swim. but i can't actually do it. i get in the water, sink, freak out. you can mandate teaching whatever you want, but some kids will get it and some won't. it took me six years to understand why y=mx+b. i didn't understand it until college.

end tangent. back to your regularly scheduled programming.

wdwishes2005

finan03 said:
but at the same time, isnt the purpose of going on a disney vacation RELAXING? it's not really fair to expect a mom or pop to keep constant watch on their kids when it's their down time also.
i think that glancing up and making sure your kids okay every now and then is okay, so long as you dont lose track of your time.

Um, yeah it is. You make your offspring, you bring them with you, you have to expect that you need to watch them.

PintoColvig

finan03 said:

At first, I thought you were kidding but I didn't see a :lol: or :p . Then I looked at your profile and saw you were only 17.

Listen, when you are a parent, you are "always on the clock", especially if your children are younger. Your children are your responsibility and not anyone else's, including the lifeguard. You will know what I mean someday. If not, I pity your future children.

mdisney

finan03 said:

lifeguards are not babysitters they are to make sure everyone is safe not just one kid. Also if mom and pop wanted a vacation to relax they should of hired a babysitter while they went on vacation to watch their kids.

I take it finano3 yr parents never watched u while u all were on vacation or cared about you.

PintoColvig

mdisney said:
I take it finano3 yr parents never watched u while u all were on vacation or cared about you.

At first, I wanted to laugh at what you posted but I'm afraid you may actually be right. :(

HiddenMinnie

finan03 said:

You cannot be serious!?! You don't ignore your kids because you're on vacation! That kind of thought process scares me!:eek:

trr313

tigsmom said:
Sweeping generalizations drive me insane. My kids are 17 & 11 and I still don't let them out of my sight when we are at the pools or the beach.

My kids are 3 and 7 and I never let them out of my sight especially if I'm near water, I know that I will be that way into their teens as well, I love my children and it bothers me when parents do not watch their children closely.

littlemom_3

I just wanted to let y'all know that here in rural Mississippi, the school age children get swimming lessons in 3rd and 4th grade. It is a full week of them going every day and learning swimming and water survival. I agree with the idea that this is something that should be taught in school. I am leaving for Disney in a week and taking 5 children under the age of 16. I can promise y'all that it won't be anywhere close to relaxing but I will love every minute of it. Sorry if this is a bit off of the subject.

Unity

The Mom

Premium Member
Floridasunshine said:
It is just not your own kids you have to look after ... One day at the pool, I saw this kid holding my 10 year old son down under the water. I had to jump in and push him off of him. My son was obviously scared and struggling for breath. I was soooo mad at that kid! Unfortunately he was a visitor at an apt pool and they did absolutely nothing when I complained except to tell him to keep his hands to himself. :mad:

This happened once at our beach club. The Daughter (around age 12-18 months) was sitting on the steps of the baby pool next to my feet, dropping toys into the water. A little boy, around age 3, came over and was playing with her. When she "dipped" in to get a toy (she had no fear of putting her face in the water and holding her breath, thanks to swimming lessons) he jumped on top of her, and was holding her down. I told him to get off...no response. I yelled at him to get off (assuming his mother would come running) ...no response. Then I pulled him off and out of the pool, and quite frankly, didn't pay a whole lot of attention to where he landed (although I didn't throw him) as I got The Daughter up and made sure she was OK.

His mother came running from her lounge chair at poolside next to the large pool behind my back, about 10 yards away. She started yelling at ME because I yelled at and "manhandled" her son!

Excuse me lady, but if I hadn't been RIGHT THERE, your son would have drowned, or near drowned, my daughter!

Almost 21 years later it still scares me that due to her inattention MY child might have been killed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom