Backlot Tour Tram Cars

CDavid

Seriously, do you realize what would have happened if they sold the Subs as is? There would be a number of fools that would attempt to use them as real submarines and the lawsuits would fly. Sometimes they have no choice but to just destroy what might be a hazard when out of it's intended element

Disney has sold ride vehicles previously (monorail cab car, Mr. Toad car, Keel Boat, etc.) with no apparent problems over liability. I can't imagine a practical way to convert them into actual submersibles; That's just silly. It would be easier just to build a sub from scratch than attempt such a conversion.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This is the same company that let the 20K subs rot in a field so yeah, this isn't at all surprising. And considering how fast they got to work on the backlot after closing it down, I'd venture a guess it was a move to save the cost of operating the ride before the so called big makeover. I mean, why else has it been shut down since September 2014? It's now almost exactly 7 months later. Is costuming still full? Besides AFI, has ANYTHING been done there?

If gate does not drop at DHS nothing WILL be done, Why spend money on new attractions if customers continue to arrive at the same rate - pre closure.

Goofyernmost

Disney has sold ride vehicles previously (monorail cab car, Mr. Toad car, Keel Boat, etc.) with no apparent problems over liability. I can't imagine a practical way to convert them into actual submersibles; That's just silly. It would be easier just to build a sub from scratch than attempt such a conversion.
May be silly, but, that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. Monorail Cabs need a rail and a whole lot of electricity. Mr. Toad Car... would make a nice front lawn ornament. Keel Boats are actual boats that will float. Fake submarines? Wouldn't take much thinking to imagine the possibilities of that. Heck, my X-wife, a person with two master degrees and almost made it to PHd before illness set in, rode it numerous times before a ride in the skycab finally made her realize that they didn't really submerge. Stranger things have happened.

Polydweller

What a shame they couldn't have used them for something else.

The DHS parking lot would've made a lot of sense.

It would have been a nice nod to the past to use the tram cars to shuttle people to and from the parking lot.

In principle I agree with both posts but in practice it would have taken quite the retrofit for vehicles that aren't really needed. The doors on the backlot tram were the whole side of the car and opened up overhead. At every stop in the lot the whole side would have to be opened by the operator and then closed by the operator taking much more time. Not to mention the risk of someone trying to sneak under at the last moment and getting hit by the closing door. Look at the rush now even when people are told not to board. Somebody would definitely try it. The lot tram doors are guest operated and only the individual doors have to be opened.

The sign across the windshield of the truck, "Scrap Systems" is promising. Some stuff does get left to sit and rot but as it's been noted, these trams are already beginning to get torn to bits. It's nice that there is an actual side of the business to deal with scrapping things.

Not just the "Tear it down to make room then leave it somewhere" dept. I remember the EPCOT Mickey wand didn't sit around for too terribly long after it was done away with.

Monorail_Red_77

Seriously, do you realize what would have happened if they sold the Subs as is? There would be a number of fools that would attempt to use them as real submarines and the lawsuits would fly. Sometimes they have no choice but to just destroy what might be a hazard when out of it's intended element. Besides where would the market be for that many submarines. Maybe a third world country attempting to create their own Navy?

Yes, Just look at the original monorail red cab car that keeps getting sold. Then left out in a field. Then sold again, and this is just one piece of history. It would be nice if there were some museum that they could take some of these historic ride vehicles before they fade into a distant memory. I just don't think there is enough of a market to be able to sell all of these types items. I think it is just easier for Disney to offer the items to whatever company does their demo at the time to help reduce the demo costs and allow the company doing the demo work to try and recoup money via recycling.

Monorail_Red_77

If you want to see what it looks like to never update anything. Just search videos on youtube for Dreamland Nara, Japan. This is a theme park built in the early 60's to mimic Disneyland. The owner hoped that Disney would say yes, after it was built. But, they said no and then later build Tokyo Disney in early 80's. I have seen a few of these videos that are incredibly sad to watch. The owner kept the park open anyway. It closed sometime in the early 2000's I believe, not really sure.

So it is important to constantly update, to refresh your offerings. I do think there needs to be a balance of keeping classic rides/attractions and also building new ones. Someone always loses a favorite when a ride gets shutdown. As great as these rides once were, one can only hope that something better replaces these rides and soon.

Monorail_Red_77

In principle I agree with both posts but in practice it would have taken quite the retrofit for vehicles that aren't really needed. The doors on the backlot tram were the whole side of the car and opened up overhead. At every stop in the lot the whole side would have to be opened by the operator and then closed by the operator taking much more time. Not to mention the risk of someone trying to sneak under at the last moment and getting hit by the closing door. Look at the rush now even when people are told not to board. Somebody would definitely try it. The lot tram doors are guest operated and only the individual doors have to be opened.

Plus not to mention all of the multiplied wear and tear on a door that was only designed to open and close once per tram circuit Now it would be opened and closed what maybe 10 times per tram circuit in a parking lot situation. I would think that the trams door mechanics would wear out way faster out in a parking environment, as opposed to a ride environment that is more controlled. Plus, we all know how Disney loves keeping their transportation fleets well maintained.

CJR

I'm a bit surprised they didn't think of shipping these to Paris. I know Paris already has their own trams, but you can't help but think there would be nostalgia knowing the original trams were there. That would cost more money though.

dstrawn9889

i would say the mileage on the machines. IMHO i am sure that it is less problematic to order new, then to try to make a truck with a million miles on it serviceable for another location

EDIT::: i mean really, do you dust off the old 386 to give to the youngsters today, ior just go but a new laptop?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
i would say the mileage on the machines. IMHO i am sure that it is less problematic to order new, then to try to make a truck with a million miles on it serviceable for another location

EDIT::: i mean really, do you dust off the old 386 to give to the youngsters today, ior just go but a new laptop?

The kids run linux on the ancient boxes - sort of a inverse of the CPU wars now what is the least powerful machine running linux

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom