Backlot Tour May Go Bye Bye

Spaced Out Dude

Original Poster
Heard that one of MGM's most beloved attractions, The Backlot Tour may be leaving the park. The rumor I have heard is some of that area & as well as Who Wants to be a Millionaire? Play it, will be replaced by Midway Madness.

If not Midway Madness may use the Al's Toy Barn Character Greating & The Hunchback of Notre Dame Stage Show.

Backlot-Tour.jpg

DisneySaint

If true, a lot of people may be upset, but I think it's dated and simply not that interesting. Back when it was first introduced it had that "wow" factor, but now it's nothing but a short trolly ride.

Chape19714

The Hunchback theatre won't be used. It's been deemed structurally unsound for guest occupancy, and the Osborne lights take up that space. They'd have to build a bigger building, and find a new spot for the Osbornes.

As far as al's toy barn is concerned, there were rumors it would be a ride, but I don't think Midway.

PintoColvig

If and when the Backlot Tour is removed, they need to also remove "Studios" from the name of the park. As we all know, the original intent of MGM being a working studios is all but gone. The Backlot Tour is not a tour of a studio backlot. It is, as someone else has said, a trolley ride.

Catastrophe Canyone has long ago ceased to amaze and entertain. The rest of the attraction is mere fluff. (The only thing worth seeing is Walt's plane.) Such a waste, IMO. Since I'm one of those Disney dweebs that has to ride EVERY ride on every trip, I'd just as soon see them get rid of it so I won't waste any more of my time on it.

Imagine what could be done if all that space was reclaimed.

Scar Junior

Catastrophe Canyone has long ago ceased to amaze and entertain. The rest of the attraction is mere fluff. (The only thing worth seeing is Walt's plane.) Such a waste, IMO. Since I'm one of those Disney dweebs that has to ride EVERY ride on every trip, I'd just as soon see them get rid of it so I won't waste any more of my time on it.

Imagine what could be done if all that space was reclaimed.

Agreed! I'm sure the land will be used for new attractions as time goes on. (I'm not concerned with guessing or suggesting what the land would be used for, because that is a whole different thread in itself).

However, I have mentioned before....I would like to see the Backlot Tour minimized to create a decent walking tour. Similar in tone to the way the animation tour was back in the day.

As far as Walt's plane... I think this should be used in a far more respectable manner. I could see it roadside (along Word Drive) on a mound or platform. Otherwise they should put it outside of the Disney MGM Studios entrance (on the north/right side when walking to the gate) with a promotion for One Man's Dream attraction.

gibsonc

UK Disney Geek
I don't see why they would do this. The Who want to be a millionaire play it attraction is a large sound stage, the sound stage next to it is also empty, it is a big area for any attraction already. Just expanding to the empty parking areas behind the sound stages would create a show building bigger than The Great Movie Ride. The building behind these sound stages is the creative costuming department which is one of the few things that is an operational part of WDW. As for the Toy Barn facade, on the other side there is the MGM perimeter road and the entrance roads to MGM. There just isn't much space in this area.

Connor002

Honestly, the Studios seems to lack any direction these days; while removing the Backlot Tour could be a potential step, the direction of that is beyond my reasoning.

PintoColvig

Certainly one ride in all of this area would be a supreme waste of space. You could fit tons of rides in this area! :lol:
It could lead to the addition of a whole new street with several attractions. Of course, I'm with Connor. There's not much direction to found in MGM these days.

600 posts!! What public good could I have done if I had spent all this time meeting needs rather than hanging around here?
:lookaroun :eek: :brick: :hammer: :D

imagineer boy

They really shouldn't get rid of the backlot tour. They must IMPROVE it. Getting rid of it is not the answer. Sure, its pretty bad now, but what it really needs is improvement to make it more exciting. If the backlot tour and the GMR are gone as rumored, then the whole point of the studios will soon be gone.

not that this matters any but when did they take all the facads out of that tour? ever since i have had children we never went on that b/c they are too young, however we did get to on on it like four months ago and it was no more. is that where they put the stunt show at?

imagineer boy

Oh, and another thing. Its Midway MANIA

NOT MADNESS!!!! UUGUUGGHGHGHGHGHGH!!!!!!!:fork: :fork: :fork: :fork:

*ahem* Ahh, got that off my chest.:D

gibsonc

UK Disney Geek
The Studio tour certainly needs improving. But unless there are big plans for the redevelopment of the land on that side of LMAX there is no reason for it to close. Closing the tour would easily free up the area which is the entrance, water tank and tram loading area which is roughly the size of the empty sound stages. For the rest of the area there are issues with LMAX, vehicle access, other backstage buildings which would have to be addressed before any more of the space could be used.

rbrower

Oh, and another thing. Its Midway MANIA

NOT MADNESS!!!! UUGUUGGHGHGHGHGHGH!!!!!!!:fork: :fork: :fork: :fork:

*ahem* Ahh, got that off my chest.:D
I think that it upsets you a little bit when people call it Midway Madness.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Don't worry, your not the only one.:lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom