Trip Report Baby's 1st WDW Trip, Limo Ride, Stay at AOA and, Well, Just About Everything Else!

Well, hello there! This trip report is for our trip we took April 21-27. I know, late much? Between this trip and now, we had ANOTHER WDW trip, 2 birthdays, including a 1st birthday extravaganza, and busy days working and wrangling a toddler. I also wanted to have all the days posted on my blog first so I could make sure I had all my details straight and in order before posting here...mommy brain is in full effect over here!

I did post a Pre-trip report a while back, but most of the actual plans got rearranged once we were in WDW, so read at your own risk: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...-member-new-fantasyland-and-aoa-a-ptr.863451/

I'll start out with a repeat of the cast of this trip:

Me (Lynn) and my husband (Brett)
I'm a CPA and the planner of the family. He's a photographer and perpetual winner of Buzz Lightyear and Toy Story Mania. We live about 3.5 hours from WDW and are annual passholders and Tables in Wonderland members.

First-Disney-Trip-505.jpg

Trent: Our son was 10 months old when we went on this trip. It was his first WDW trip and trip in general. We are working hard to make him a Disney fanatic...one trip, and ridiculously adorable and cheesy photo at a time.

p1538455728.jpg

Day -1: Saturday

The day before our trip is Day minus 1…just a quick note about getting ready…

For the first time in as long as I can remember, we gave ourselves a day to prepare for our trip, instead of going the very next day after working. Well, I gave myself a day to prepare…Brett had a wedding to shoot for most of the day, so it was me and Trent holding down the fort.

And boy was he a needy little fella all day. I thought I never had enough time to prepare for trips before? HA! I had to pack and clean with him in my left arm for half the day…I’m surprised that arm doesn’t look like one of Arnold Schwarzenegger’s arms – Mr. Olympia style. Then, he wouldn’t take his naps without me being there, either. I guess it was nice the first time I got to nap with him
icon_wink.gif
I was exhausted by the end of the day.

It’s like they know you have stuff to do, so they turn into this…

After a day of preparing, it was also nice to know we weren’t waking up at 4 in the morning like we usually do, so it meant that we might get at least a few hours of sleep. {Ha! Yeah, right!}

Day 1: Sunday

Like I just mentioned, it was nice to NOT be leaving at 3-4 in the morning to make it for rope-drop on the first day. Normally, we don’t see the point in paying for a hotel for a night if we won’t be there until late at night after work, so we tend to just leave really early on our first day.

This time, since we had planned on Trent’s first ever day at Disney World to be at Magic Kingdom on Monday, we left Sunday for travel, IKEA, checking in and dinner…a relaxing “get settled in” type of day.

I woke up around 7:30 to get ready and finish some of the last packing items that I didn’t get to do the night before. Then, Brett and Trent woke up shortly after. We wanted to leave by 9am, but in typical Svenson-family fashion, we left an hour later at 10. Adding getting Trent ready and feeding him to the mix, I knew we weren’t going to leave on time. When we say we want to leave at a particular time, we should just go ahead and add an hour to it from the get-go.

We hit up the drive-thru at McDonald’s (darn you Chick-Fil-A for being closed on Sundays!) for breakfast on the go. We purchased a season’s worth of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse to play on the iPad for Trent. We set up the iPad right in front of him and he watched about 2-3 episodes before falling asleep. Our road-trip was going great so far!

WDW-April-2-e1374108822124.jpg

WDW-April-3.jpg

Last edited:

Lynn1030

Original Poster
How appropriate that he is following the paws on the carpet!

The other photo really surprises me, of the hallway walls. Other than the rug it reminds me of the basement in my DD's college dorm. The white walls and ceiling lack the warmth Disney resorts are known for.

While I see what you mean about the white walls, looking at the hallways in some of the Deluxe resorts, they are similar in that there really isn't much decoration or anything overly Disneyfied. My guess is that they keep it for the rooms and the outside, where people would spent the majority of their time. I didn't notice or think anything like that, as I was happy to have an inside air-conditioned walkway. :)

Lynn1030

Original Poster
I love the photos of your little guy at Crystal Palace. What a little sweetie! They are so good with little ones at that restaurant.

They are! Sometimes I wish we didn't have to wait so long due to the timing of when we were seated, and this time we even saw Pooh twice while waiting for all the characters...but definitely worth the wait and better than waiting in a line outside.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
While I see what you mean about the white walls, looking at the hallways in some of the Deluxe resorts, they are similar in that there really isn't much decoration or anything overly Disneyfied. My guess is that they keep it for the rooms and the outside, where people would spent the majority of their time. I didn't notice or think anything like that, as I was happy to have an inside air-conditioned walkway. :)

Giggle. I guess I am use to seeing everything themed at WDW, rarely do you see plain white walls anywhere, at least we know they are clean right? Here are some deluxe resorts. I usually stay at POR while themed they are different 'cause they are outside entrance theming. If I am thinking correctly this is the values first stab at theming inside corridors.

here is Nemo

7362361652_90f02c86c4.jpg

insidethemagic

draw-back-endless-corridors.jpg

200912FL_0324P05171.jpg

all ears

34-Corridor-8thFloorMKside.jpg

corridor.jpg

Lynn1030

Original Poster
Giggle. I guess I am use to seeing everything themed at WDW, rarely do you see plain white walls anywhere, at least we know they are clean right? Here are some deluxe resorts. I usually stay at POR while themed they are different 'cause they are outside entrance theming. If I am thinking correctly this is the values first stab at theming inside corridors.

here is Nemo

7362361652_90f02c86c4.jpg

insidethemagic

draw-back-endless-corridors.jpg

200912FL_0324P05171.jpg

all ears

34-Corridor-8thFloorMKside.jpg

corridor.jpg

You are correct, however the first photo you shared is of the Finding Nemo section, which is also at AOA. Either way, I don't think the walls in the Lion King section are full on bright white, but more like a creme to go with the brown safari coloring (you can see it better in the room photos)...which isn't far off from the Contemporary hallway photo you shared. There are also large Lion King photos in the main area of each floor. We didn't get photos of these, but I found these ones on AllEars. I also liked the little leaves that the room numbers were on.

Art-of-Animation-Lion-King-Section-59.jpg

Art-of-Animation-Lion-King-Section-60.jpg

Art-of-Animation-Lion-King-Section-61.jpg

Art-of-Animation-Lion-King-Section-62.jpg

Lynn1030

Original Poster
Ok, I guess it's time for our 7th and final day. :cry:

Day 7: Saturday

Our last day…booo! But rejoice…Trent slept ALL.NIGHT.LONG! It was wonderful. At this age, he usually woke up at least once during the night, but when my eyes opened around 8am, I realized he hadn’t woken up once and was still sleeping. Thank you Disney for tiring out my child more than he could handle and therefore needed extra, uninterrupted sleep to recuperate!

After a lazy, slow wake-up, we packed our stuff and brought it all out to the car…which, let me tell you, is NOT easy with a baby. I can’t believe we actually carried everything in one trip to the car. (As a side note, on our next trip we went on in June, we stayed at the Contemporary - thank you to my job for paying for it - and we payed them to carry our bags to and from the car...wow SO WORTH IT!)

The food court was our destination for breakfast this morning, and then we wanted to take photos with Trent around the Cars section, so we spent some time there before leaving the hotel.

First-Disney-Trip-572.jpg
First-Disney-Trip-573.jpg

After the first photo, I realized they were much cuter without me in them, so the rest were just of Trent...but I was nearby!

First-Disney-Trip-574.jpg
First-Disney-Trip-575.jpg
First-Disney-Trip-576.jpg
First-Disney-Trip-577.jpg

Lynn1030

Original Poster
Forget standing in line at Hollywood Studios, we had Lightning McQueen and Mater all to ourselves!

First-Disney-Trip-578.jpg

First-Disney-Trip-580.jpg

It kind of looks like Trent is making the same facial expression as Mater in this next photo. Good thing they don't have the same teeth!

First-Disney-Trip-581.jpg

Mater needed a tune up!

First-Disney-Trip-582.jpg
First-Disney-Trip-579.jpg
First-Disney-Trip-583.jpg

Goodbye Art of Animation!

First-Disney-Trip-571.jpg

We headed to IKEA to pick up a few things we didn’t get when we were there on the first day of our trip and then we headed on home.

Overall, Trent did really well on our first big trip/car ride. It took a little planning on our part to download stuff for the iPad for the car, bringing snacks/toys/glowsticks and basically just going with the flow each day. We aren't the best at remembering to put sunscreen on ourselves, so we had to be extra mindful for Trent...which actually helped us be better about it for ourselves. Same thing goes for drinking water and taking breaks. We had no problem remembering to eat, though :hungry:

Lynn1030

Original Poster
And because I love making videos, here is a compilation video of our entire trip, featuring both photos and videos we took throughout all 7 days. Be sure to watch it in HD by clicking the Gear button underneath the video and selecting 1080p HD.

Also, don't miss Trent's reaction to his first Dole Whip at the 8 minute 11 second mark!

Thanks for watching - I hope you enjoy!

And that concludes our trip report! Thank you everyone for reading, liking and commenting...I appreciate it so very much!

I look forward to sharing our June 2013 trip with you soon! We also have a trip planned for October (so excited for MNSSHP and F&W!) AND a cruise onboard the Disney Dream in January (Trent's 1st cruise and our 1st Disney cruise!).

Last edited:

jkl2000

Wow, those are amazing photos (I'm only on day -1!) and Trent sure is cute!

I have two questions - hope you don't mind.
1 - What were you buying at IKEA? Was it stuff you needed at WDW? I just wasn't sure why you were shopping at IKEA and loading stuff into your car on the way to WDW, not that it's any of my business!
2 - What were you paying for with all the gift cards? Isn't the package always already paid for before you arrive? Maybe not...

Looking forward to reading about Trent's adventures...

Lynn1030

Original Poster
Wow, those are amazing photos (I'm only on day -1!) and Trent sure is cute!

I have two questions - hope you don't mind.
1 - What were you buying at IKEA? Was it stuff you needed at WDW? I just wasn't sure why you were shopping at IKEA and loading stuff into your car on the way to WDW, not that it's any of my business!
2 - What were you paying for with all the gift cards? Isn't the package always already paid for before you arrive? Maybe not...

Looking forward to reading about Trent's adventures...

I don't mind at all!

1) We don't have an IKEA at home, so we only get to shop there when we go to WDW. We don't go to IKEA every time we go to WDW, but whenever we think of something we want to get, we make a mental list for when we are there next. Our first time at an IKEA was February 2012 for Trent's nursery furniture and we've been hooked! It's always fun to just look around too, but we have to be careful not to get sucked in for hours and hours!

We didn't buy anything particularly for WDW. It wasn't anything big, just about 2 of their large bags worth. We weren't sure if we'd get a chance at the end of the trip, so we made sure to just stop by there on the way to WDW, especially since it was raining. Something we had from IKEA that we bought another time but used on the trip was the pop-up hamper...very useful for dirty clothes.

2) I paid for the rest of our hotel balance with the gift cards, then the remaining gift cards paid for our food and any souvenirs for the week. We are annual passholders, so we don't get a package. We book the hotel and pay for our food separately.

Thanks for reading!

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Just loved this trip report. The photo's and videos are amazing. It demonstrates that if the 'parents' are willing to enjoy a WDW trip with their baby, the family will have a fantastic trip, you guys did a wonderful job making his first trip all about him. Kudos.

I found bringing my kids from the time they were babies helped them in future trips not to be timid with the attractions, they haven't developed that fear factor yet and then they just continue to go on those same attractions in their preschool years. You two seem to have created a new Disney fan. Congrat's.

My question is how did he adjust back to normal foods, he seemed to be really enjoy being a Disney Foodie?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom