Avoiding crowds

HatboxGhost

Sept. is still plenty hot. We went mid-Sept 2012 it was quite hot then, and humid, but hey, it's Fla.
My wife and I might have to spend a little more time at the pool. Also, whats nice is that we really are not outside that much. Sure, we definitely are outside but there are so many inside rides, shows, restaurants, and shops that we can get out of the heat alot.

Figments Friend

-
A tend to make plans that keep me away from the cattle herds.
October used to be my season to visit, as years ago it was Off Season. Over the past few years however that has changed, mostly due to the Halloween Party Events and the Food & Wine Festival.

Now September and January are my two choice times to visit for a full blown vacation.

January is nice because rates are usually very low post-Holidays and the Parks are empty of locals since the temps are chilly. I find the only folks there tend to be there are people from the Northeast ( ya tell by the sports team clothing..) and South American tour groups. I have been lucky, and had no issues with tour groups, but i tend to visit in early to mid January and avoid the end of the month. Too risky to fly then from my area, due to winter storms.

September, particularly midweek after Labor Day, is also great...though it is still very hot. That is the only downside really...everything else from crowd levels to wait times is extremely reasonable.
Some years, depending on the discounts being offered, you will see a spike in attendance, but i have had fairly good luck and can do and see all i wish with little wait.

I would like to visit in mid-May sometime...to take in the Flower & Garden Festival. Seems like another good time to visit.

The key is the visit when the rest of the country is in school, and stay away from major holidays and school break periods. Keeping an eye on happenings slated at WDW also helps to steer you away from the crowds.

HatboxGhost

-
A tend to make plans that keep me away from the cattle herds.
October used to be my season to visit, as years ago it was Off Season. Over the past few years however that has changed, mostly due to the Halloween Party Events and the Food & Wine Festival.

Now September and January are my two choice times to visit for a full blown vacation.

January is nice because rates are usually very low post-Holidays and the Parks are empty of locals since the temps are chilly. I find the only folks there tend to be there are people from the Northeast ( ya tell by the sports team clothing..) and South American tour groups. I have been lucky, and had no issues with tour groups, but i tend to visit in early to mid January and avoid the end of the month. Too risky to fly then from my area, due to winter storms.

September, particularly midweek after Labor Day, is also great...though it is still very hot. That is the only downside really...everything else from crowd levels to wait times is extremely reasonable.
Some years, depending on the discounts being offered, you will see a spike in attendance, but i have had fairly good luck and can do and see all i wish with little wait.

I would like to visit in mid-May sometime...to take in the Flower & Garden Festival. Seems like another good time to visit.

The key is the visit when the rest of the country is in school, and stay away from major holidays and school break periods. Keeping an eye on happenings slated at WDW also helps to steer you away from the crowds.
One thing that my Wife and I found out when we went in October of 2011 is that kids from overseas have a week off in October and December and we were there when they had that time off. It was crowded and I asked a woman from England who was in front of me in line if they were on vacation and that is when she informed me about the kids time off. Any other week in October we would have been ok.

Figments Friend

Good to know!
Thank you for sharing that !
:)

I loved going in October in the past, as the weather was more tolerant ( not a humidity fan..)but had to stop mostly because of the upswing in pricing due to the F&W and other events that now happen.

September works for me. I just have to be ready to sweat.

HatboxGhost

Good to know!
Thank you for sharing that !

I loved going in October in the past, as the weather was more tolerant ( not a humidity fan..)but had to stop mostly because of the upswing in pricing due to the F&W and other events that now happen.

September works for me. I just have to be ready to sweat.

No problem. It was crazy because even the Cms that we talked to didnt know why it was so crowded as they expected it to be crowd free. Also, like I said in an earlier message, my Wife and I stay out the sun by shopping, going on indoor rides, seeing shows, and going to restaurants. That, at least will keep us out of the sun MOST of the time. We are pretty much in the sun to go from point A to point B.

HatboxGhost

It pulls in a lot of people, but go on a Wednesday and you will be fine, second choice is Thursday. We avoid parks with extra magic hours.
Now, I was going to try avoiding the EMH parks but by the time I go in September will there still be EMH? I am not sure of the timing on that.

toasty

I'd say that avoiding crowds is the number one thing that dictates when we go. Been going in January, trying early December this time around. Having done most of my trips during "down times," it's completely spoiled me. Not sure I would want to be there with throngs of people around.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom