Avoiding crowds

epcotisbest

Original Poster
October-November is my absolute best time to plan a Disney vacation. Between the weather being terrific, and lower crowds during the week, I highly recommend this time of year. We have been down there just about every season (hated early summer though) and we must have gotten lucky, the crowds were really super super bad, but the weather PLUS waiting in line for ANYTHING made for a grumpy Deb! LOL Its funny, during our October-November time frame, we never encountered tour groups either ;)

Our off season discovery coincided with an anniversary trip and we were amazed there were no crowds, tour groups etc...now, we have been going for 30 years and Sept and Oct. crowds have increased dramatically over the years. One trip many years ago we did Tower of Terror four times in a row walk on without stopping for a line. Could have done it more, but started to get dizzy. Early Sept. remains less crowded than Oct. but weather is much better in Oct and Nov.
Went once in July, 1996...won't be doing that again, although I would brave the crowds once for July 4 fireworks if the opportunity presented itself.

DisneyDebNJ

Our off season discovery coincided with an anniversary trip and we were amazed there were no crowds, tour groups etc...now, we have been going for 30 years and Sept and Oct. crowds have increased dramatically over the years. One trip many years ago we did Tower of Terror four times in a row walk on without stopping for a line. Could have done it more, but started to get dizzy. Early Sept. remains less crowded than Oct. but weather is much better in Oct and Nov.
Went once in July, 1996...won't be doing that again, although I would brave the crowds once for July 4 fireworks if the opportunity presented itself.
The good part of visiting during the fall, is the weekends at MK the crowds are usually lower, everyone is at Epcot for the Food and Wine

epcotisbest

Original Poster
We are planning to go either the second week of September or the first week in December. We only have a year and a half then, we have a school schedule to follow! I like to avoid the crowds! We went this past September the last week when the food & wine festival was starting & there were several MNSSHP happening. It seemed more crowded than our previous trip at the end of June a few years before!

Right after Labor Day is a good week crowd wise, and that first week in Dec. is very good as well, if you can miss the Pop Warner craziness. Weather in early Dec. can be hit and miss as well. One year it was so cold and windy we could not use the pool at all.

epcotisbest

Original Poster
The good part of visiting during the fall, is the weekends at MK the crowds are usually lower, everyone is at Epcot for the Food and Wine

Good tip...we usually avoid MK on weekends to avoid locals. Did not think about Epcot pulling them away from MK. We usually travel on Saturday and make Sunday a DTD and resort hopping day.

DisneyDebNJ

Good tip...we usually avoid MK on weekends to avoid locals. Did not think about Epcot pulling them away from MK. We usually travel on Saturday and make Sunday a DTD and resort hopping day.
alot of the locals hit the F&W festival on the weekends, and every year we have been to Disney for F&W, its always been like that... however, late afternoon/early evening gets busy at MK due to the MNSSHP

epcotisbest

Original Poster
Crowds eh! Nope! Not even going there. My blood pressure has been stable all week.o_O

I know you go in July, but if you ever have the opportunity to go in early Sept. or early Dec., please give it a try. It is even more magical without lines or crowds. Imagine not waiting in lines and how much more time you would have to indulge in your favorite food and drink.

Shadowgate

We normally go on off times during the school year eventhough it means pulling our daughter out of school for a week the last three times we have gone. I have only been there once during the Summer and that was back on my first trip in 1975 and I will never go during the summer again as I find the crowds + heat = not so much fun. :) Then again Disney is probably the only place that crowds dont bother me too much.

Now that I go myself with my own family we have split almost all our trips between either early spring Feb/March and the first or second week of December. Other than one trip in December being cold and rainy I have liked that time the best as I like being there when it is in the 70s. Our next trip will be again a spring after my daughter 13th birthday next year and we will again take her out of school as I don't see missing one week of school as a terrible thing. I have done 4 or 5 spring break trips before and you really don't get to do as much on them do to crowds.

Redhawk

My parents always took us out of school for a week to enjoy a break from winter temps and take advantage of lower crowds. We were so lucky to be able to do this, and my husband and I still plan trips during the less-crowded weeks.

DfromATX

Yeah, I'd rather go in September to go swimming but, my husband really wants to go at Christmas time so..... it's still kind of in the air!

The pools are heated year round it seems. We went once in December and although it was too cold to swim for me (being from Texas where we swim in 90 to 100+ heat), but it didn't stop my kids. I just wish they weren't heated in the summer! Makes no sense to me and it's no fun swimming in lukewarm water.

Britt

I actively try and avoid the crowds and go to the parks on their less crowded days.

Crowds make me super anxious for some reason. I feel really claustrophobic and have a hard time focusing. Also SUPER impatient, so I hate trying to wait in lines behind the crowds.

So I go when wait times are between 10-15 minutes and I can move freely....LOL

DfromATX

See if y'all can look at my picture. It was taken in July and I like to call the photo "Insanity". Never again will we go in July! I think I took it from Splash Mountain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom