Avengers Half Marathon Weekend

Mad Stitch

Original Poster
runDisney is at it again with what is probably going to be another over dramatic announcement.

BhNW5WFCEAIXv8I.jpg:large

I guessing something about the W&D race since registration opens a week later. Do we need an official runDisney rumors pinned thread?

Belle2013

I have heard guesses of a Marvel Half but that would have to be done in California I believe. I thought there were 2-3 new races that were supposed to be announced this year but I could be wrong (or they changed plans).

surfsupdon

Yeah, the Internet seems to think it's a Marvel/ Superhero race. But that is ALL conjecture, and guessing, and probably hoping.

I'd like to see something p retty cool announced.

#smashthehalf

FerretAfros

A family friend of mine has very close ties to runDisney and their decision makers, especially regarding DLR races. When I talked to him in January he said that they were definitely planning 2 new race weekends for DLR, that they wouldn't be longer than a half, and that at least one of them would be a nighttime race. He didn't know anything about the themes of the races, but this certainly seems to support the Marvel/Avengers rumors (and Marvel Half Marathon does have a certain ring to it)

Katherine

A family friend of mine has very close ties to runDisney and their decision makers, especially regarding DLR races. When I talked to him in January he said that they were definitely planning 2 new race weekends for DLR, that they wouldn't be longer than a half, and that at least one of them would be a nighttime race. He didn't know anything about the themes of the races, but this certainly seems to support the Marvel/Avengers rumors (and Marvel Half Marathon does have a certain ring to it)

Oh man if it's a night time race in DLR, I'm there! That sounds so fun! One more sleep until we all know!

LindsayLoves

I just saw that they posted the time of the announcement at 8:35am PST, which puts the money on Disneyland for the race location if there was a doubt about that.

FerretAfros

Avengers Half Marathon, November 14-16 at Disneyland. Registration opens March 25. Weekend will include a 5K and Kid's Races
http://www.rundisney.com/avengers-half-marathon/?src=launch-dpbp

Personally, I'm not super into the character/franchise-oriented races. I prefer the broader themes at Marathon Weekend, DL1/2 and W&D, but I can't deny that this will be popular or that DLR needs another race. Interesting that it's right after W&D, so people can do back-to-back weekends again (looks like I know what I'm doing...again)

Mad Stitch

Original Poster
Meh... not interested.

Personally, I'm not super into the character/franchise-oriented races. I prefer the broader themes at Marathon Weekend, DL1/2 and W&D,

I agree, and with the rumor that Star Wars is taking the place of Expedition Everest I hope character/franchise races don't become the new trend.

a2grafix

Lifted from runDisney.com, the prices are consistent with this year's pricing. Nearly $200 to register for the Avengers Half Marathon, $70 for the Super Heroes 5k, and $135 for the pasta in the park party. Gulp. #Hulksmashmybankaccount ....

Avengers Super Heroes Half Marathon
  • $195 by April 29, 2014
  • $210 between April 30 and June 24, 2014
  • $225 on or after June 25, 2014
Avengers Super Heroes 5K

• $70 by August 20, 2014
  • $80 on or after August 21, 2014
runDisney Kids Races

• $20 by August 20, 2014
  • $25 on or after August 21, 2014
Pasta In The Park Party

• Adult with ticket - $135
  • Adult without ticket - $89
  • Youth with ticket - $115
  • Youth without ticket - $69
  • Under 3 - $0
ChEAR Squad

• Bronze - $0
  • Silver - $39
  • Gold - $59
  • Platinum - $99
  • Under 3 - $0

dreamfinder

Those prices are crazy. I do applaud the theme and location, DLR needs more races to hopefully help lessen the insanity that is people trying to get the C2C at the other 2 races. And it's a male oriented theme. They need something to counter the Tink/Princess races. An Avengers/Star Wars C2C special medal anyone? And while I can see that locking a race into a certain theme does somewhat limit it's lifespan, (Who knows how popular the Avengers will be in 5 years) there are only so many generic themes they can use, so at some point they need to tie it to something.

a2grafix

Wow that is expensive. Would love to do these events but no way can I afford this for the two of us. Especially when you factor in all the costs that go with it.

Totally agree with you Steve. In 2013 I decided to challenge myself with my first-ever coast to coast and succeeded, but I'm still paying for it and others after I committed / ran five half marathons in 2013 and prepaid for a sixth and seventh half in 2014. The fifth half marathon unfortunately was canceled due to ice and cold (St. Jude Memphis Half Dec. 7, and I still plan on running the course in the next month or so when I gets warmer) and I "raised" $500 for St. Jude, $320 of which came out of pocket.

I thought the 2013 runDisney half prices were expensive at $175 before tax and adding the price of a limited pin, and I know this is Disney and it's the Disney touch and prices to cover volunteers, race coordination and medals is expensive. But I also had to factor in park tickets, roundtrip airfare (Memphis is a black hole when it comes to airfare - high priced), hotel accommodations, food, airport travel, and incidentals. Glad that I saved some money staying at Shades of Green for the Wine and Dine Half, but had to pay an airfare change fee because I could not leave the day before the race. Instead I flew down on race day Nov. 9 and was back home in 24 hours.

I look forward to running in a future runDisney half marathon but as of now $195 before tax and before every other cost associated with it, is out of my price range right now.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Lifted from runDisney.com, the prices are consistent with this year's pricing. Nearly $200 to register for the Avengers Half Marathon, $70 for the Super Heroes 5k, and $135 for the pasta in the park party. Gulp. #Hulksmashmybankaccount ....

Avengers Super Heroes Half Marathon
  • $195 by April 29, 2014
  • $210 between April 30 and June 24, 2014
  • $225 on or after June 25, 2014
Avengers Super Heroes 5K

• $70 by August 20, 2014
  • $80 on or after August 21, 2014
runDisney Kids Races

• $20 by August 20, 2014
  • $25 on or after August 21, 2014
OMG OMG. $195 for 13.1 miles. Are you kidding me. $70 for a 5k. Holy cow that is $22 a mile.

Im glad I didnt waste $5 on a runDisney sticker for my car. It would be coming off. That is embarrassing.

Im going to point and laugh one day when this bubble burst. It'll be a long time, but they are going to out price themselves if they havent already.

The only thing that is reasonable is the Kids Races. Id pay $20 for a mile race for the kids.

Maryssa*

So. Excited. DLR is my local park so I'm thrilled for this! Even have a bunch of friends wanting to go with me finally!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom