Avengers Endgame Spoiler Discussion

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I've listened and read to all the investor calls for the past two years.

Iger has consistently talked about better 'yields' from the parks, namely, more money spent per person. But he has also put that in the context of what the market will allow along with strategic pricing to even out peaks and valleys of demand so as not to have a negative customer impact with overcrowding. So... I don't know how that can be called a 'rough go'

But, this has zero to do with a claim that it is D+ that will have a rough go at first, which is what SirWalter claimed having read from an article you linked here. Have you linked any articles here about Disney+?

You might have crossed the streams...iger has been far more reserved about the streaming service than I think anything during his tenure. Saying directly that it won’t be “profitable at first”...that is the impression I’m getting. They’ve been borderline skittish about it and delayed for years...now we know it was because they made the play for fox and Hulu...they didnt trust what they had.

As far as parks go...never more bold. He’s basically saying that he’ll continue to price people into oblivion until they stop. Read between the lines. This isn’t hard.

Movies? Never bigger/better. Even when he outright lying about one franchise. Bold faced. He keeps barreling forward.

Gotta respect him for that...his power gives him license to say whatever he can sell.

But the stream has been very cautious/undersold.

You’re looking too hard for conflict here. It’s an opinion board and I don’t have an inexperienced take on what Disney does. Believe me...don’t...nothing will change. There’s no scoreboard. Especially for Disney...they couldn’t the shantest of turds who defends them.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
One other thing you have to remember is Disney owns all their content, Netflix doesn't they license most of theirs with some but ever increasing originals. This ownership of content will allow Disney to stay more affordable longer compared to its peers. And as stated previously is the reason why Netflix is increasing their prices, in order to build up their content library.

Disney has also resold their content 18 times each since the advent of vhs....to say nothing of Lucas.

Is there ANY legit belief they don’t want to resell it at max again monthly?

Not if you’re paying attention. Passing on “content savings” doesn’t play well on the “dwarf level” in Burbank

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Disney has also resold their content 18 times each since the advent of vhs....to say nothing of Lucas.

Is there ANY legit belief they don’t want to resell it at max again monthly?

Not if you’re paying attention. Passing on “content savings” doesn’t play well on the “dwarf level” in Burbank
It all depends on what you consider "resell it at max again monthly". As erasure fan floated their idea of a premium price is around $25-30/Mo, that isn't the max. That is coming in right around the middle of the pack of service providers. Which as I said would be what Disney does in my opinion, remain competitive.

The current landscape has the max price of streaming services at around $60/Mo. And that would put the yearly price (based on the current 10% model) at $600/Yr. So if Disney+ is suppose to be some premium brand (based on the old ways) with max resell according to you, then Disney+ would have to be higher than that. And I just don't see Disney+ (standalone) getting that high anytime in the next 5 years.

You may have some insight into Disney Corp based on your time in the Eisner era. But this is a whole new ballgame with different players and different rules. The old ways aren't going to work here, Iger and the Disney+ (BamTech) team know that. Its why they have aggressively priced this to be one of the lowest priced services around. Will they raise prices, of course. Will they be the highest priced service out there, no they won't. Its not to their advantage to be the highest priced service. Their advantage is going to be content, Content is King! And again because they own all the content they can continue to be aggressively priced compared to their peers.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It all depends on what you consider "resell it at max again monthly". As erasure fan floated their idea of a premium price is around $25-30/Mo, that isn't the max. That is coming in right around the middle of the pack of service providers. Which as I said would be what Disney does in my opinion, remain competitive.

The current landscape has the max price of streaming services at around $60/Mo. And that would put the yearly price (based on the current 10% model) at $600/Yr. So if Disney+ is suppose to be some premium brand (based on the old ways) with max resell according to you, then Disney+ would have to be higher than that. And I just don't see Disney+ (standalone) getting that high anytime in the next 5 years.

You may have some insight into Disney Corp based on your time in the Eisner era. But this is a whole new ballgame with different players and different rules. The old ways aren't going to work here, Iger and the Disney+ (BamTech) team know that. Its why they have aggressively priced this to be one of the lowest priced services around. Will they raise prices, of course. Will they be the highest priced service out there, no they won't. Its not to their advantage to be the highest priced service. Their advantage is going to be content, Content is King! And again because they own all the content they can continue to be aggressively priced compared to their peers.

Well here’s where I agree: it’s not the same as the Eisner era. This oligarch is much more wreckless with the product.

Where I disagree is that streaming service is going to go to the price levels you are suggesting...it’s not worth $60 a month or close. I don’t think people will get sucked into that kinda ripoff price point that the cable companies could sell. Because streaming isn’t a closed market...new things are not restricted from entering the market like cable.

Just how I read it though.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well here’s where I agree: it’s not the same as the Eisner era. This oligarch is much more wreckless with the product.

Where I disagree is that streaming service is going to go to the price levels you are suggesting...it’s not worth $60 a month or close. I don’t think people will get sucked into that kinda ripoff price point that the cable companies could sell. Because streaming isn’t a closed market...new things are not restricted from entering the market like cable.

Just how I read it though.
Maybe you misunderstand what I'm saying, or intentionally being obtuse. Some services are starting to touch that $60/Mo level, such as PlayStation Vue at $45-60/Mo. I specifically said I don't think it'll get up to $60/Mo in the next 5 years. And really I don't think it'll get up that high even in 10 years, unless the streaming market completely changes. The $60/Mo number comes from the current available streaming service out there today.

My max price point puts Disney+ as a standalone service right in the middle of streaming services, around $20-25/Mo ($200-250/Yr). Again that would put it in the middle of the pack. That wouldn't be considered "premium" in the world of streaming service based on price. The "premium" aspect of Disney+ is going to be all their content. They'll keep the price in the middle to make it a value brand with premium content. And like flynnibus suggested they may even introduce some tiered content levels in order to get different content at different prices.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Maybe you misunderstand what I'm saying, or intentionally being obtuse. I specifically said I don't think it'll get up to $60/Mo in the next 5 years. And really I don't think it'll get up that high even in 10 years, unless the streaming market completely changes.

My max price point puts Disney+ as a standalone service right in the middle of streaming services, around $20-25/Mo ($200-250/Yr). Again that would put it in the middle of the pack. That wouldn't be considered "premium" in the world of streaming service based on price. The "premium" aspect of Disney+ is going to be all their content. They'll keep the price in the middle to make it a value brand with premium content. And like flynnibus suggested they may even introduce some tiered content levels in order to get different content at different prices.
You’re right...I didn’t read that correctly

But I think best case scenario is they can get Netflix...which is $17 at current.

Just a different audience...people not in love with Disney tend to actually kinda hate it. There’s many more of them on the streets that will provide price control than a MNSSHP. We’re in the bubble here.

I think apps and streams will be lower cost longterm because there is no hardware block like the soulless bastards at Comcast had.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You’re right...I didn’t read that correctly

But I think best case scenario is they can get Netflix...which is $17 at current.

Just a different audience...people not in love with Disney tend to actually kinda hate it. There’s many more of them on the streets that will provide price control than a MNSSHP. We’re in the bubble here.

I think apps and streams will be lower cost longterm because there is no hardware block like the soulless bastards at Comcast had.
Actually Netflix pricing starts at $10/Mo for basic and goes up to $16/Mo for Premium. And their tiers are specifically for quality of image and number of streams at one time.

Disney+ isn't going to do tiers like that, at least not yet. Its one price for all content at highest image quality and multiple streams. What I can see Disney doing is like Flynnibus suggested content tiers, where there is different packages of content for different price points. But still keeping a sub-$25/Mo price, in my opinion.

Anyways, at this point I think we've run this as far as it should go in this thread. If you want to continue this discussion lets take it to the Disney+ thread.

bclane

Maybe you misunderstand what I'm saying, or intentionally being obtuse. Some services are starting to touch that $60/Mo level, such as PlayStation Vue at $45-60/Mo. I specifically said I don't think it'll get up to $60/Mo in the next 5 years. And really I don't think it'll get up that high even in 10 years, unless the streaming market completely changes. The $60/Mo number comes from the current available streaming service out there today.

I'm actually a cord cutter and a PS Vue subscriber. The reason PS Vue is in the $45-60/mo range is due to the live broadcast channels and DVR capabilities that they offer. On demand services only (no live TV/DVR) are much cheaper (Netflix, Hulu, etc) and it is my understanding that this is the market Disney+ is going after. For example, you can get basic Hulu starting at $5.99 a month. But by the time you jump to their Hulu + live TV service you are starting at $44.99 per month. All the services offering Live TV and DVR service (YouTube TV, PS Vue, Hulu + Live TV, Sling, etc.) are much more expensive than something like Netflix and are priced according to the package of live channels they offer, online DVR capabilities and the amount of on demand stuff they throw in. Unless Disney+ starts offering Live TV and DVR service at some point, they are gonna have a hard time moving much past the other on demand type service's pricing models....imo. However, they may end up being the most expensive on demand service over time.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm actually a cord cutter and a PS Vue subscriber. The reason PS Vue is in the $45-60/mo range is due to the live broadcast channels and DVR capabilities that they offer. On demand services only (no live TV/DVR) are much cheaper (Netflix, Hulu, etc) and it is my understanding that this is the market Disney+ is going after. For example, you can get basic Hulu starting at $5.99 a month. But by the time you jump to their Hulu + live TV service you are starting at $44.99 per month. All the services offering Live TV and DVR service (YouTube TV, PS Vue, Hulu + Live TV, Sling, etc.) are much more expensive than something like Netflix and are priced according to the package of live channels they offer, online DVR capabilities and the amount of on demand stuff they throw in. Unless Disney+ starts offering Live TV and DVR service at some point, they are gonna have a hard time moving much past the other on demand type service's pricing models....imo. However, they may end up being the most expensive on demand service over time.
Yep I’m aware how it works. And my opinion is Disney+ will stay on the OnDemand side and let Hulu be the LiveTv/DVR provider. And pricing will still stay competitive in my opinion.

Darkprime

D82Yb7LW4AAUrME.jpg:large

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom