Avengers Endgame Spoiler Discussion

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Others lose faith.

Not us.

Not us...
Movies sputter so fast now...just too many releases now. Even if it limps by, that’s nowhere close to the staying power of avatar or the movies before.

I’m surprised it didn’t get to $3...won’t lose sleep though

This is - however - the top of the mountain for marvel. Can’t see any movie getting anywhere close unless they do a reunion movie

Cosmic Commando

And Disney is in a tough spot if they want to try and give Endgame a push. Toy Story is a couple of weeks away, then they should play nice with Sony for Spider-Man on July 2nd, then Lion King not long after that...

I wonder what would have happened if they released it a week earlier in April, and gave themselves a little bit more distance from the other summer releases? $64M seems like a lot to get from this point forward, but it’s almost just a rounding error on its previous total. :hilarious:

Darkprime

And Disney is in a tough spot if they want to try and give Endgame a push. Toy Story is a couple of weeks away, then they should play nice with Sony for Spider-Man on July 2nd, then Lion King not long after that...

I wonder what would have happened if they released it a week earlier in April, and gave themselves a little bit more distance from the other summer releases? $64M seems like a lot to get from this point forward, but it’s almost just a rounding error on its previous total. :hilarious:

They already moved it up from the original May date. That was probably the earliest they could get it out given the vfx work needed.

Mike S

Movies sputter so fast now...just too many releases now. Even if it limps by, that’s nowhere close to the staying power of avatar or the movies before.

This is - however - the top of the mountain for marvel. Can’t see any movie getting anywhere close unless they do a reunion movie
We still have plenty of loved heroes left. Only two left. Two.

Not to mention if the revivals of Fantastic Four and X-Men knock it out of the park.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

They already moved it up from the original May date. That was probably the earliest they could get it out given the vfx work needed.

I think they miscalculated their release schedule a little...having captain marvel and then spacing out avengers a bit might have cost them the record.

Too many movies this year for Disney in the sprint to bobs retirement. Their schedule is insane.

So Aladdin has done pretty well considering its mediocre...they have to move on from avengers. Toy story is and has to be huge. Then they really need Spider-Man to do well for the mcu
And then lion king will be huge.

All packed before the gap towards let it go 2 and the sixth prequel movie.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We still have plenty of loved heroes left. Only two left. Two.

Not to mention if the revivals of Fantastic Four and X-Men knock it out of the park.
Generally nobody much is interested in fantastic four

And X-men bombed...on solo ground. So after 10 movies might not be a big demand for that as you would hope.

The problem is after 22 movies, they took the two “guts” characters out. Not gonna be easy.

Tony Perkis

I don’t see how they can top the creative stakes in any subsequent Avengers film.

You could argue that Galactus is that bigger stakes villain, but destruction of the world is an incredibly common theme in action blockbusters to begin with.

Topping actually killing half the universe as opposed the threat of killing the whole universe isn’t even close, stakes wise.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don’t see how they can top the creative stakes in any subsequent Avengers film.

You could argue that Galactus is that bigger stakes villain, but destruction of the world is an incredibly common theme in action blockbusters to begin with.

Topping actually killing half the universe as opposed the threat of killing the whole universe isn’t even close, stakes wise.

Agree...I think that’s as far as they can go and get a mass, worldwide Audience to follow along as is...the time travel stuff was pushing it already.

This nonsense that people will line up to the tune of $2 bil to watch alternative universe is the ultimate comic book fantasy. It won’t happen in the 3 dimensional world anyway

doctornick

I don't think the draw for the movie is so much based on "stakes" as much as the characters.

It would be really difficult to replicate that success with the new folks that will be rolling out, but I have a hard time betting against Feige as long as he sticks around. He "gets it" with these characters and I'm very confident he is capable of making great films with the new characters they have acquired (I mean, just having a proper Dr. Doom would be huge let along a Fantastic Four that doesn't suck and an X-Men team that is actually a team) and building on the second generation of folks they already have produced.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't think the draw for the movie is so much based on "stakes" as much as the characters.

It would be really difficult to replicate that success with the new folks that will be rolling out, but I have a hard time betting against Feige as long as he sticks around. He "gets it" with these characters and I'm very confident he is capable of making great films with the new characters they have acquired (I mean, just having a proper Dr. Doom would be huge let along a Fantastic Four that doesn't suck and an X-Men team that is actually a team) and building on the second generation of folks they already have produced.

Black panther will decline in popularity...captain marvel will never achieve it...

That can’t make up for Cap and IMan...just my hunch

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

This X-men group is done. Gotta start over.

Their cyclops, storm and especially nasty Sansa are no goes longterm.

LSLS

Black panther will decline in popularity...captain marvel will never achieve it...

That can’t make up for Cap and IMan...just my hunch

You might be correct. Maybe Spiderman can take it up depending on how they go with him. I think you have some X-Men that could do it as well. In my mind, if they want to get to this level again, it's another 10 year build at least.

Though what I think may hurt as much as anything is they are kind of out of characters that non-comic people would know. I grew up on cartoons where I would know the current characters (at least a lot of them) Saturday mornings. The next generation getting introduced are almost all groups/characters that I know absolutely nothing about, and it does have me a bit less interested in them (a bit, trailers will win me over). It was mentioned in the Aladdin thread, but applies here as well: Nostalgia works. That said, Dr. Strange is legit one of my favorite Avengers now, and I knew nothing of him before the movie (that I thought I would hate and really liked), so they can win people over when done right, but my point is I think the hill is a bit bigger for this next build.

Tony Perkis

Strongly disagree.

I think there’s a big reason why Age of Ultron has the lowest receipts in the series, and lack of importance in the grand scheme of things is part of it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You might be correct. Maybe Spiderman can take it up depending on how they go with him. I think you have some X-Men that could do it as well. In my mind, if they want to get to this level again, it's another 10 year build at least.

Though what I think may hurt as much as anything is they are kind of out of characters that non-comic people would know. I grew up on cartoons where I would know the current characters (at least a lot of them) Saturday mornings. The next generation getting introduced are almost all groups/characters that I know absolutely nothing about, and it does have me a bit less interested in them (a bit, trailers will win me over). It was mentioned in the Aladdin thread, but applies here as well: Nostalgia works. That said, Dr. Strange is legit one of my favorite Avengers now, and I knew nothing of him before the movie (that I thought I would hate and really liked), so they can win people over when done right, but my point is I think the hill is a bit bigger for this next build.

Agree completely...

The thing marvel fans are discounting is that the “known “ characters have been used. They’ve already pushed the envelope too far. Guardians is the best you’re gonna do.

You get a limited amount of characters the general public will go with. That’s why the mcu is all crossovers and guest spots. It has to be

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Strongly disagree.

I think there’s a big reason why Age of Ultron has the lowest receipts in the series, and lack of importance in the grand scheme of things is part of it.

It was decent eye candy...but had no main villain and ultimately didn’t make sense too much.

What was the point again? I can’t even really remember

Tony Perkis

It was decent eye candy...but had no main villain and ultimately didn’t make sense too much.

What was the point again? I can’t even really remember
That stakes don’t play a role in the popularity of the films, which I didn’t buy because the last 2 Avengers films, far and away the highest grossing and most attended, were billed as the ones with the most to gain and lose.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Agree completely...

The thing marvel fans are discounting is that the “known “ characters have been used. They’ve already pushed the envelope too far. Guardians is the best you’re gonna do.

You get a limited amount of characters the general public will go with. That’s why the mcu is all crossovers and guest spots. It has to be

What?

Guardians, for the general public, was a complete unknown. You can't get more unknown than unknown.

Disney's Marvel is a brand that people trust. They gave Thor 3 a chance after Thor 2. They'll give any new character a chance. It's the same cachet that Pixar and Disney Animation and Disney Parks has. When Iger goes on and on about the strength of 'the brand', this is the real world consequence.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom