Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

J4546

AC has GotG tower, which is already one of the best rides in the park. I know that its an old rethemed ride, but its part of AC now. When the next major ride is built (if ever) AC will have 2 major E-tickets, a C ticket darkride, Food, Shops and multiple live shows. It will be a pretty solid area, assuming the next addition is not a flop. I look at the concept are for CA and HK and think, why cant CA get a HK style multi tiered approach? That would be super cool.

Vegas Disney Fan

AC has GotG tower, which is already one of the best rides in the park. I know that its an old rethemed ride, but its part of AC now. When the next major ride is built (if ever) AC will have 2 major E-tickets, a C ticket darkride, Food, Shops and multiple live shows. It will be a pretty solid area, assuming the next addition is not a flop. I look at the concept are for CA and HK and think, why cant CA get a HK style multi tiered approach? That would be super cool.
Unfortunately GotG doesn’t feel remotely connected to AC… Avengers tower would have fit perfectly with the city theme they designed, a Dr Strange sanctum could have worked, even a generic city office building would have made more sense thematically than the collectors tower from an alien planet. If you asked 100 random people at DCA I don’t think most would consider GotG as part of AC because it looks so completely different.

__r.jr

And it’s not just the attractions. It’s the aesthetic of the land as well. It doesn’t look like something out of Marvel. Why no big city aesthetic? Where are the tall buildings?
Indiana Jones in Disneyland is a prime example of how to integrate an established, beloved intellectual property into an already cohesively conceptualized land. Granted, the rest of Adventureland had to adhere a set time period, something it wasn't cuffed to a la Main Street or Frontierland in its inception, however in conjunction, it melded well. It didn't feel contrived nor did it significantly alter the existing purposeful design for the realm. Disney of yesteryear made it work and it felt earnest while Disney in the modern era, even with a grand mostly clean canvas given to them, can all but muster a post-secondary education campus that translates to "here, now, today!" via a hodgepodge of clashing stylized buildings and it feels faineant.

Another key layer in the case for Indiana Jones is that the attraction's narrative is self contained. It isn't confined to a continued, traversed storyline and and strict timeline in the vain of Avenger's Campus or Galaxy's Edge. There are references to the films that preceded it to be sure, but they are not blatant and are not relied upon to tell the attraction's story. More liberties can be taken as a result, and what makes it all that more frustrating is Marvel and Star Wars both have the benefit of having a vast collection of source material to build off of than Indiana Jones does.

With nearing seven decades of themed design, master planning and urban design Disney could have done better. Look no further at Hong Kong Disneyland's Marvel themed land. It's merely concept art at the moment and in question if it ever becomes realized but the point is Disney can do better. They simply choose not to.

Professortango1

I'd call Mission BO a D+ ride. E Ticket ride system with C Ticket execution. I prefer Midway Mania to the mess that is Mission BO.

smooch

Honestly my guess for why it feels like there's nothing to do in GE and AC (aside from there really being a lack of ridges / entertainment) is the fact that you just cannot walk up and line up for the big rides of the land (counting Web Slingers instead of GotG:MB cause that's been open for years) and instead have to hope you get a boarding group and if not then it's just there mocking you. I went to Pandora for the first time in 2019 and immediately got in line for FoP cause I knew I needed to experience their huge E Ticket once on my trip. I am glad I didn't have to try for a boarding group on my phone and be disappointed if I don't get one, I was very happy to be able to just line up and wait if I genuinely wanted to ride a ride. After FoP I tried NRJ and walked around the land exploring and was blown away by the details of the land and was happy I got to ride both rides.

I genuinely think the boarding group system is one of the worst systems Disney has introduced and it seems to really discourage every person who doesn't get a group for something they really wanna experience. I would love to be able to walk up to RotR and have the option to wait 2.5-3 hours in line to ride. But Disney doesn't design rides for capacity anymore so they can focus on the tech and tout it as the "most advanced / immersive ride in the world, but can't let everyone who wants to ride it to get on at some point in the day. I know if I got to Pandora and didn't get a FoP group I would sadly go on NRJ, probably be disappointed (I enjoyed it as a relaxing ride to calm down after the intense FoP) and then walk around and still enjoy the scenery but just feel down that I can't ride the hit ride of the land. Between school and work I can usually only go during crowded tourist times in the parks so I am scared I won't get to ride RotR, my girlfriend went with her family about a month ago and didn't get a boarding group and was sad she couldn't see the ride she has heard so much about. Her cousin is a huge Star Wars fan and he was sad they couldn't get on, but he enjoyed MF:SR but the only other entertainment they had in the land was when he paid $200 to build his lightsaber. At that point my girlfriend and the rest of her family felt there was nothing left to do and went to ride the Haunted Mansion while he built his lightsaber.

mickEblu

And you think that rethemed ride that’s been there for 16 years will get people excited about Avengers Campus? GOTG: MB and Avengers Campus are two different things in the mind of the average guest. GOTG:MB is the fun ride that was already there. Nobody gives them any credit for the old ride when they open an uninspiring land afterwards that doesn’t even feel like it’s connected to the old ride anyway.

Professortango1

The thing with normal lines is demand naturally will wear off as the most dedicated can wait, go on it once, and then most likely they won't bother waiting in a huge line again once they've experienced it.

For a few months people would wait 4 hours for Finding Nemo, and then the wait time wore down.

Supply and demand.

When anyone can just get in a lottery to go on the ride, it takes away the "waiting" as a barrier.
Exactly! I would wait in a 4-6 hour line to do Rise. Many who have been on the ride would not. But they still snatch up a boarding pass whenever they go. These are people who would not be taking up seats on the ride in a normal scenario. Its an absurd situation.

mickEblu

Exactly! I would wait in a 4-6 hour line to do Rise. Many who have been on the ride would not. But they still snatch up a boarding pass whenever they go. These are people who would not be taking up seats on the ride in a normal scenario. Its an absurd situation.

That would be me. I get one every time I go because why not? It’s the only fastpass in the park right now. Otherwise wouldn’t wait more than 45 for it.

October82

And you think that rethemed ride that’s been there for 16 years will get people excited about Avengers Campus? GOTG: MB and Avengers Campus are two different things in the mind of the average guest. GOTG:MB is the fun ride that was already there. Nobody gives them any credit for the old ride when they open an uninspiring land afterwards that doesn’t even feel like it’s connected to the old ride anyway.

It's surprising how poor the connection between the two is. One argument for the poor fit of MB into Hollywoodland is that it always belonged in a future Marvel land, one which was sure to fix all of the thematic problems.

Here we are, and MB fits no better into Avengers Campus than it did into Hollywoodland.

fctiger

Honestly my guess for why it feels like there's nothing to do in GE and AC (aside from there really being a lack of ridges / entertainment) is the fact that you just cannot walk up and line up for the big rides of the land (counting Web Slingers instead of GotG:MB cause that's been open for years) and instead have to hope you get a boarding group and if not then it's just there mocking you. I went to Pandora for the first time in 2019 and immediately got in line for FoP cause I knew I needed to experience their huge E Ticket once on my trip. I am glad I didn't have to try for a boarding group on my phone and be disappointed if I don't get one, I was very happy to be able to just line up and wait if I genuinely wanted to ride a ride. After FoP I tried NRJ and walked around the land exploring and was blown away by the details of the land and was happy I got to ride both rides.

I genuinely think the boarding group system is one of the worst systems Disney has introduced and it seems to really discourage every person who doesn't get a group for something they really wanna experience. I would love to be able to walk up to RotR and have the option to wait 2.5-3 hours in line to ride. But Disney doesn't design rides for capacity anymore so they can focus on the tech and tout it as the "most advanced / immersive ride in the world, but can't let everyone who wants to ride it to get on at some point in the day. I know if I got to Pandora and didn't get a FoP group I would sadly go on NRJ, probably be disappointed (I enjoyed it as a relaxing ride to calm down after the intense FoP) and then walk around and still enjoy the scenery but just feel down that I can't ride the hit ride of the land. Between school and work I can usually only go during crowded tourist times in the parks so I am scared I won't get to ride RotR, my girlfriend went with her family about a month ago and didn't get a boarding group and was sad she couldn't see the ride she has heard so much about. Her cousin is a huge Star Wars fan and he was sad they couldn't get on, but he enjoyed MF:SR but the only other entertainment they had in the land was when he paid $200 to build his lightsaber. At that point my girlfriend and the rest of her family felt there was nothing left to do and went to ride the Haunted Mansion while he built his lightsaber.

I agree with this completely. My family went to WDW about a week ago and had an amazing time. FoP was definitely one of the biggest highlights for all of us and I kid you not we did it a half a dozen times. The lines were super low so it made it very easy to do. But if it was a boarding group situation, it would've been very very disappointing because even when crowds are low and you're able to grab a boarding group fairly easy (as was the case with WEB on our last visit to Disneyland in August) the problem is you can ONLY do it once that day, no matter what. The boarding group was open for 6 hours. We got our ticket and just assumed we could do it again since the virtual queue was still open when we got off, like a FP situation. We immediately tried again only for the response to be we exhausted all our rides for the day. We didn't care that much, we don't think WEB is an amazing ride or anything but with kids they want to try and top their scores, try new strategies etc and you can't. And yet they are selling those ridiculous WED devices at $50+ for a ride you can only do once in a day IF you're lucky.

In fact I bring up WDW because I had really considered postponing the trip and to fit Ratatouille in since none of us has done it yet and I really want to experience it. But the second I heard it was only going to be a virtual queue that made the decision super easy. It's no way I'm going to postpone a trip and probably pay more in the process just to try and do a ride we may not even get to experience. When you only live 25 minutes from DL and have APs, the boarding group thing is not so bad. But for everyone else, especially vacationers, it really really sucks. Didn't even bother trying for ROTR at DHS. Did it enough at DL and didn't want to get up at 7 a.m. to try for it.

MoonRakerSCM

I'm going to WDW in a month and love Ratatouille... I'm terrified we won't be able to ride it due to VQ. I got skunked on several occasions for ROTR until the last weekend before the covid closure. Also got skunked on Spiderman when we went there to see the new area.

I will never forget the ~10 or so families we saw while in line for avengers campus, walk up to a CM we were near, and ask about getting into AC or getting on the Spiderman ride... And being told this is the line, it's 4 hours long, or if you didn't get a boarding pass at 7am you're not getting on... So many sad families that hadn't a clue about Disney's convoluted processes yet brought their children because they were excited to see Spiderman due to the advertising.

truecoat

I'm going to WDW in a month and love Ratatouille... I'm terrified we won't be able to ride it due to VQ. I got skunked on several occasions for ROTR until the last weekend before the covid closure. Also got skunked on Spiderman when we went there to see the new area.

I will never forget the ~10 or so families we saw while in line for avengers campus, walk up to a CM we were near, and ask about getting into AC or getting on the Spiderman ride... And being told this is the line, it's 4 hours long, or if you didn't get a boarding pass at 7am you're not getting on... So many sad families that hadn't a clue about Disney's convoluted processes yet brought their children because they were excited to see Spiderman due to the advertising.

This is why boarding passes are better for passholders and a detriment to the once a year visitor. Why would joe sixpack go back if they don't deliver what they advertise? You go on vacation for fun and relaxation not disappointment.

That being said, I got a bg for Ratatouille back on Oct 1st but the park was pretty dead all day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom