Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

waltography

Glad we have alumni here from both schools to speak on this. Stanford’s campus is stunning.

LOL at possibly taking inspiration from one building on campus. And based on the photo you provided, it doesn’t even look like that. If they really were trying to take inspiration from USC and Stanford, they did a terrible job.
Could you imagine an Avengers Campus that took cues from USC and Stanford though? I love USC's red brick and Stanford's sandstone, and I'd imagine it'd be a great transition off Buena Vista Street too. Hard to see how it would fit thematically with the superhero theme, but it wouldn't be any worse than what we got in the land now.

britain

I still have to believe in some form of a free market of Disney Guests: people wouldn't wait an hour long for a ride they didn't like.

If they are still waiting for it, they are definitely getting enjoyment out of it that I don't realize.

As for lacking attractions? It could be worse: they could have just repainted Lady Bug Boogie.

Yes yes, to a degree however there will be people going because it's new / popular IP. That could last awhile before a lousy reputation sinks an attraction. How is Fast & Furious at USH doing? (Sincere question, I really don't know.)

DanielBB8

I keep forgetting that Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission: Break Free Fall From The Tower of Terror is the E ticket attraction for this land...
Exactly, This was what they did for Toy Story Land in Hollywood Studios. The E-ticket ride (Toy Story Mania) was already there. So do we add a simulator ride or a roller coaster next? What will they do with Star Tours. Why not extend the Marvel characters to every park like Pixar.

el_super

This will be interesting to hear, because the rumor was WDI first proposed that Spider-Man pendulum-coaster and TDA shot that down for being too low capacity. "Why do you keep proposing amazing attractions that we can't possibly get enough people through each day? Don't give us a Marvel RotR. Give us a Marvel TSMM!"

(Again folks, this is looking like excellent work on WDI's part considering what was asked of them.)

Was it really a choice between the two? It seems that the inclusion of the Web Slingers ride was always something to take up the space of the Bug's Theater and not necessarily the scale of an E-Ticket. A swinging coaster as an E-Ticket would have been pretty expensive space wise, and also low capacity.

Web Slingers is pretty space conscious for what it provides.

Given the budget it could’ve / should’ve been more impressive. But cutting hundreds of millions off for the E ticket didn’t help.

Everything from WDI is massively expensive for what it is. That's never will stop being a valid criticism.

CaptinEO

What part of the concept was flawed from the start?

I don't know if I agree, but I can definitely see a valid criticism coming from this. The ownership of Spider-man as an IP is a convoluted mess of legal entanglements, Hollywood political drama and movie reboots. I definitely see Tom Holland's Spider-Man as the more tolerable version (so far) but there is so much IP baggage attached to it, that it story wise, makes the decision to use Spider-Man questionable.

However, expectations aside, lack of a certain character or feature doesn't seem like a fair criticism of the ride that exists today. They can always add new scenes, new characters and new villains later on.

Not ... really. If most of the reviews turn out negative but the ride still garners 60+ minute waits, and draws people to the park, then it could be objectively a success, even if you subjectively hate the ride.

I guess I'm old enough to remember the massive amount of online complaints levied at Midway Mania not using real sets and just basically being a warehouse of screens, but that ride is still hanging on 13 years later.... and I still never go on it because the line is too long.

I'm definitely not buying any Spider-Man toys, but seriously more power to the people who like them.
The flawed concept is the "train to be your own hero" concept. It set the ride up to not have any excitement and to not be a Spiderman ride and instead a ride where spiderman teaches you to do stuff. It's an out there idea, that's for sure.

I can criticize the ride that exists today because thats the product that's out there. Same as Avengers Campus with no E Ticket. This is the product people are currently buying tickets to go visit.

Youre looking at it differently. I personally do not care about how the ride performs in terms of wait times, toy sales, etc. That's Disney's stake in the ride, not my own.

I'm saying for ME the ride appears to be a failure for the reasons I mentioned above. I think it fails to compete with other themepark rides I enjoy, it fails to showcase the series it is designed around.

CaptinEO

As it stands this is an Avenger's themed office party. I hope those that go enjoy it. This seems more like the throw away or C Tier ideas that somehow got greenlit.

I certainly expect much more from The Walt Disney company, especially considering this is one of their biggest franchises ever.

I was looking forward to the continual Universal/Disney competition, but now it's blatantly obvious that Disney has no idea what theyre doing right now.

britain

The flawed concept is the "train to be your own hero" concept. It set the ride up to not have any excitement and to not be a Spiderman ride and instead a ride where spiderman teaches you to do stuff. It's an out there idea, that's for sure.

I can criticize the ride that exists today because thats the product that's out there. Same as Avengers Campus with no E Ticket. This is the product people are currently buying tickets to go visit.

Youre looking at it differently. I personally do not care about how the ride performs in terms of wait times, toy sales, etc. That's Disney's stake in the ride, not my own.

I'm saying for ME the ride appears to be a failure for the reasons I mentioned above. I think it fails to compete with other themepark rides I enjoy, it fails to showcase the series it is designed around.

Nicely stated.

Californian Elitist

Could you imagine an Avengers Campus that took cues from USC and Stanford though? I love USC's red brick and Stanford's sandstone, and I'd imagine it'd be a great transition off Buena Vista Street too. Hard to see how it would fit thematically with the superhero theme, but it wouldn't be any worse than what we got in the land now.
Absolutely. Both campuses capture California more than what I’m seeing in these AC photos.

E4D84A81-53FD-48BA-8583-6DC805A1858B.jpeg

C1D78385-AB04-4AF4-B7E3-3F67BA89D321.jpeg

You’re right though, these styles wouldn’t match a Marvel theme too well, but maybe that’s more of a reason that they should have gone with Marvel in the park. Or they should have went with an urban, big city feel.

el_super

That's not the story of the ride. This is a typical "open house where something goes wrong" concept just the same as Honey I Shrunk the Audience.

So it's fair to criticize every attraction that isn't an E ticket because it could always be better?

When are they going to level Casey Junior in order to build a frozen E ticket?

Yeah but you're not acknowledging the broader point: if people are lining up and buying merchandise, then the ride has achieved it's purpose.

You haven't even been on it yet.

Sharon&Susan

Yes yes, to a degree however there will be people going because it's new / popular IP. That could last awhile before a lousy reputation sinks an attraction. How is Fast & Furious at USH doing? (Sincere question, I really don't know.)
People don't really go on the tram tour solely for Fast and Furious.

el_super

You’re right though, these styles wouldn’t match a Marvel theme too well, but maybe that’s more of a reason that they should have gone with Marvel in the park. Or they should have went with an urban, big city feel.

If the point of the marvel stories are the characters and their development, then those characters should work in any setting.

britain

Was it really a choice between the two? It seems that the inclusion of the Web Slingers ride was always something to take up the space of the Bug's Theater and not necessarily the scale of an E-Ticket. A swinging coaster as an E-Ticket would have been pretty expensive space wise, and also low capacity.

Web Slingers is pretty space conscious for what it provides.

We'll probably never know. I wouldn't be surprised if the Spidey pendulum coaster was the proposed E-ticket, and the Antman shooter was going to replace the Bug theater. Then when the coaster was shut down, the Antman concept was revised for Spidey. (As well as given a well needed budget boost. Web Slingers looks SOO much better than what Hong Kong got!) Joe Rhode also said that Spidey was considered for the Tower revision.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
We'll probably never know. Joe Rhode said that Spidey was considered for the Tower revision. I wouldn't be surprised if the Spidey pendulum coaster was the proposed E-ticket, and the Antman shooter was going to replace the Bug theater. Then when the coaster was shut down, the Antman concept was revised for Spidey. (As well as given a well needed budget boost. Web Slingers looks SOO much better than what Hong Kong got!)
Did anyone mention the FoP Avengers E?

el_super

We'll probably never know. Joe Rhode said that Spidey was considered for the Tower revision. I wouldn't be surprised if the Spidey pendulum coaster was the proposed E-ticket, and the Antman shooter was going to replace the Bug theater. Then when the coaster was shut down, the Antman concept was revised for Spidey. (As well as given a well needed budget boost. Web Slingers looks SOO much better than what Hong Kong got!)

Oh yeah absolutely. If the choices were between Ant Man or Iron Man from Hong Kong, I'm glad we got Web Slingers instead.

That too though represents a bit of a conundrum hiding within these critical "reviews." They ended up spending money on an original attraction when they really didn't need to.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If this were a repurposed attraction... I'd probably give it more leaway... but as a new from scratch "addition"? Meh..

I think they skewed too 'video game' - I don't think this attraction will resonate with older audiences like TSMM which appeals to both young and old.

It's like they took TSMM and just said 'lets update and add some tweaks'. So we get some physical sets in the hallways instead of TSMM's emptiness and flats... we get something more 'on theme' for the interactive part.. and we get a expensive, but rather 'me too' preshow experience.

They better be planing on adding that other ride quick... or hope the 'dress you up as an avenger' sales are super strong.. because this certainly shouldn't anchor a land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom