Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

truecoat

Agreed. I stand by that many months old quote of mine you quoted. Marvel Land looks like a dramatically lit office park in Irvine.

For those not in SoCal and who don't know what our office parks look like here or how to get there on freeways called "The fill-in-the-blank" here's what my SoCal point of reference is, less dramatically lit than Marvel Land but similar...

New%20Irvine%20Co_%20Office%20Innovation%20park.jpg

They updated the artwork if you didn't know.

New Irvine Co_ Office Innovation park.jpg

EPCOTCenterLover

I think it's also becoming apparent that the details are going to set Avengers Campus apart. It's got a lot of little storytelling moments, visually interesting places like, for example, where the modern WEB building has modded the old Stark building. Old, dilapidated brick fused with glossy new tech.

That's not very "office building" like. If anything, THIS looks like a boring office complex, and yet it's what a lot of folks on these boards pine for:

View attachment 554996
Can't say I totally disagree with you!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I was watching the latest episode of The Good Doctor last night and that show is supposed to take place up here in San Jose, and one of the characters made mention that there was an accident on "the 280" and I cringed. I'm probably the only person who caught that mistake.
Why did you find that cringey or even a mistake?

680 turns into 280 at 101 in San Jose and continues west until it turns north and heads toward SF. And everyone I know in San Jose calls it "the 280", or simply "280".

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I've never heard anyone from the Bay Area put "the" in front of the route numbers. It's either just the route number, highway, or I in front of it.
It depends on the context, its common to hear someone from San Jose "the" put in front of the freeways. Like "Just left San Jose about to pass Morgan Hill as I'm cruising down the 101 heading to Disneyland".

MagicWDI

It depends on the context, its common to hear someone from San Jose "the" put in front of the freeways. Like "Just left San Jose about to pass Morgan Hill as I'm cruising down the 101 heading to Disneyland".
We usually say "cruising down hwy 101." And I've lived in the Bay Area my entire life. Never heard anyone put "the" in front. And if they do, I ask if they are from SoCal, and the answer is usually yes. But I guess it isn't impossible for someone to put "the" in front. It's just very rare. Very very rare.

Last edited:

Professortango1

We usually say "crushing down hwy 101." And I've lived in the Bay Area my entire life. Never heard anyone put "the" in front. And if they do, I ask if they are from SoCal, and the answer is usually yes. But I guess it isn't impossible for someone to put "the" in front. It's just very rare. Very very rare.
Odd, I have family who have lived in the bay area for over 50 years and use "the." Now if a character had said "Frisco," then yes, I'd say that was a dumb mistake as every San Franciscan hates "Frisco."

Disney Irish

Premium Member
We usually say "crushing down hwy 101." And I've lived in the Bay Area my entire life. Never heard anyone put "the" in front. And if they do, I ask if they are from SoCal, and the answer is usually yes. But I guess it isn't impossible for someone to put "the" in front. It's just very rare. Very very rare.
Well your experience isn’t my experience. And different areas have different speech patterns, even different groups within the same areas have different speech patterns.

I was born and raised in San Jose.

MagicWDI

The Nimitz.
The Bayshore
This is where I hear "the." But not in front of the number.

I guess it's out there. I have yet to hear it. It must be a personal thing. I don't hear it on the traffic reports or in normal conversation, which is in stark contrast while in SoCal. What I am certain of is it's definitely a rarity.

TP2000

When you look at the one building that's a converted industrial building into a Silicon Valley high-tech building.

But you know there's more than one building in Marvel Land, no? Are you purposefully ignoring the Guardians tower, Strange's mystical garden, and Pym giganticized kitchen accoutrements to score your points against Disney?

It's easy to score your point when you ignore the majority of buildings that don't line up with your ""critique.""

I love Mission Breakout! I think I'm one of the few folks here who really thought that was an improvement over the previous ride, and I don't really miss Tower of Terror at all. Has the tide turned and now everyone here is Mission Breakout fans? I missed that tide change apparently.

As for the other examples, I really don't know what they are but I'm sure they're lovely. I'm only going on the artwork WDI released for this new land. I have not yet walked through it. Has anyone here? I only have artwork to go on that looks to me like a dramatically lit Irvine office park.

I wonder how having that whole elevator to yourself would impact the experience. I feel like half of the experience is the energy and excitement from everyone in the vehicle.

Agreed. But selfishly, I wouldn't mind having an elevator to myself and a couple friends or family. That way, I could chair dance without abandon through the whole ride. Especially if they play the Jackson 5 or Pat Benatar. 🕺

No Name

Boomers tend to put “the” in front of things more, so that style of speech has probably just been passed down differently among different people.

When they renamed The Magic Kingdom to just Magic Kingdom a few years ago, wdwmagic’s senior citizens had a collective freak out.

TP2000

Boomers tend to put “the” in front of things more, so that style of speech has probably just been passed down differently among different people.

When they renamed The Magic Kingdom to just Magic Kingdom a few years ago, wdwmagic’s senior citizens had a collective freak out.

I was hosting a barbecue once and some 30 year old kid tried to make fun of me for calling them The Supremes, instead of just Supremes.

He was quietly led into my den and forced to look at every single LP record I have by The Supremes while I gave a brief summary of each record, the hit songs from each, notable stylings and influences, and an occasional side track into the Bob Mackie designed gowns they wore on the album covers. He never tried to call them just Supremes ever again, at least not in my presence. 🧐

R-4847100-1377359187-3212.jpeg.jpg

Sharon&Susan

I was hosting a barbecue once and some 30 year old kid tried to make fun of me for calling them The Supremes, instead of just Supremes.

He was quietly led into my den and forced to look at every single LP record I have by The Supremes while I gave a brief summary of each record, the hit songs from each, notable stylings and influences, and an occasional side track into the Bob Mackie designed gowns they wore on the album covers. He never tried to call them just Supremes ever again, at least not in my presence. 🧐

R-4847100-1377359187-3212.jpeg.jpg
That must be Photoshopped... the slang word "the" wasn't invented until 1971. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom