Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

J4546

i heard theyre bringing back a classic villian

Attachments

• kangaroo.jpg
    kangaroo.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 57

TP2000

Yeah, but you kinda swung that around as a criticism, no? My apologies if that wasn't your intent.

Anyhoo...

Agreed. I stand by that many months old quote of mine you quoted. Marvel Land looks like a dramatically lit office park in Irvine.

For those not in SoCal and who don't know what our office parks look like here or how to get there on freeways called "The fill-in-the-blank" here's what my SoCal point of reference is, less dramatically lit than Marvel Land but similar...

New%20Irvine%20Co_%20Office%20Innovation%20park.jpg

fctiger

Won’t it just still drop off people on Hollywood Blvd? If I’m not mistaken wasnt that always the last stop for passengers? Or was it to the left of TOT?

The last stop was to the left of TOT. That's why I assumed it do the same thing as the new Avengers building is where they old stop use to be. I think now it will just end a little pass the GOTG entrance.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Agreed. I stand by that many months old quote of mine you quoted. Marvel Land looks like a dramatically lit office park in Irvine.

For those not in SoCal and who don't know what our office parks look like here or how to get there on freeways called "The fill-in-the-blank" here's what my SoCal point of reference is, less dramatically lit than Marvel Land but similar...

When you look at the one building that's a converted industrial building into a Silicon Valley high-tech building.

But you know there's more than one building in Marvel Land, no? Are you purposefully ignoring the Guardians tower, Strange's mystical garden, and Pym giganticized kitchen accoutrements to score your points against Disney?

It's easy to score your point when you ignore the majority of buildings that don't line up with your ""critique.""

George Lucas on a Bench

It's where Super Heroes moderate social media.

Peter Pano

That is a very pleasant looking office park, a place where I for one wouldn't mind hanging around. Now go from there and add all the fantastical elements and MCU references, SciFi Tower, Test kitchen, Quinjet, mystic garden and, yes, dramatic lighting, and I think the place could very well work as part of a proper theme park.

MagicWDI

Main Street is just an old street in the center of a town. How boring is that? Maybe I should get my slideshow ready on why this is Disney at its worst....

DanielBB8

Epcot is essentially an office park. DCA is catching up. This is where all corporate interests line up for their nefarious plans. The Umbrella Corp and Skynet will be proud.

NobodyElse

That's fantastic. But I'm still going to withhold my judgement until I experience it myself, which is a stance I take for every new attraction. I'm waiting to see if not having a villain is as terrible as people are making it out to be. If it's a fun experience without one, then I'm not worried at all. But if it's not fun then I'm probably just going to skip it future visits.

Good or bad (or indifferent), isn't this another similarity to Midway Mania?

britain

When you look at the one building that's a converted industrial building into a Silicon Valley high-tech building.

But you know there's more than one building in Marvel Land, no? Are you purposefully ignoring the Guardians tower, Strange's mystical garden, and Pym giganticized kitchen accoutrements to score your points against Disney?

It's easy to score your point when you ignore the majority of buildings that don't line up with your ""critique.""
I think it's also becoming apparent that the details are going to set Avengers Campus apart. It's got a lot of little storytelling moments, visually interesting places like, for example, where the modern WEB building has modded the old Stark building. Old, dilapidated brick fused with glossy new tech.

That's not very "office building" like. If anything, THIS looks like a boring office complex, and yet it's what a lot of folks on these boards pine for:

1620236700945.png

Last edited:

britain

Perhaps it should also be said that just because big tech corporations are getting more creative and interesting with their modern architecture, it doesn't mean that Tony and Cap should say, "Welp, I guess we better build rustic log cabins for our next base. We don't want to look like what tech companies are doing."

EDIT: Actually, it looks like that's exactly what Tony did. Ok fine, I guess they should have built Avengers Campus next to the Grand Californian.

1620237050556.png

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I was watching the latest episode of The Good Doctor last night and that show is supposed to take place up here in San Jose, and one of the characters made mention that there was an accident on "the 280" and I cringed. I'm probably the only person who caught that mistake.

MagicWDI

Good or bad (or indifferent), isn't this another similarity to Midway Mania?
Are you referring to not having a villain on Midway Mania? Sure that can be similar. But we could also focus on what's different. One that pops out at me is that Midway Mania is a fully interactive game/competition with hardly a story, while Spider-man is an interactive story driven experience, asking on the riders for help.

CaptinEO

I think it's also becoming apparent that the details are going to set Avengers Campus apart. It's got a lot of little storytelling moments, visually interesting places like, for example, where the modern WEB building has modded the old Stark building. Old, dilapidated brick fused with glossy new tech.

That's not very "office building" like. If anything, THIS looks like a boring office complex, and yet it's what a lot of folks on these boards pine for:

View attachment 554996
Uh no. I don't want any office buildings in a themepark.

SuddenStorm

My sister riding GOTG this morning.

View attachment 554671

Mods- please remove this pic if it’s off topic as GOTG:MB is still part of Hollywoodland as of the parks map today and not Avengers Campus.

I wonder how having that whole elevator to yourself would impact the experience. I feel like half of the experience is the energy and excitement from everyone in the vehicle.

George Lucas on a Bench

View attachment 554996

That looks more reminiscent of the Starfleet buildings in Star Trek

britain

If you ignore the adaptive reuse that has been happening for years now.

This...
1620243677888.png

...is not adaptive reuse. So using this as a critique of Avengers Campus is incorrect.

But I do think adaptive reuse (something that yes, happens frequently in the real world) fits what the characters are doing, both story-wise but also symbolically:

Just like these buildings kind of look like their owners...

1620244022834.png

1620244068839.png

1620244107576.png

You've got this old building from the past, now being clad in high-tech iron armor, infected with little tech spiders and then an extra sheen of youthful graffitti added on top.

It's deeper than a Circuit City and a boring office campus if you'll look closer. It's architecturally telling the story of Howard/Tony/Peter and even Miles Morales!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom