Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

SplashGhost

I agree with everything except basing the land on the cosmic side of the MCU. Not that it’s not a good idea or wouldn’t make for an interesting land, I just don’t know how it would mesh with the rest of DCA. Particularly in its current plot.

I agree that a Cosmic themed land doesn't fit in DCA, but neither does Mission: Breakout's exterior. So at this point, I am more concerned with the individual quality of each land and attraction in DCA since they seemed to have mostly abandoned the overall theme of the park.

You can always come to the far superior Spider-Man ride in Orlando.

I have been on it, and it is great, but that doesn't mean Disney shouldn't have something comparable or better in their Marvel land.

fctiger

I agree with everything except basing the land on the cosmic side of the MCU. Not that it’s not a good idea or wouldn’t make for an interesting land, I just don’t know how it would mesh with the rest of DCA. Particularly in its current plot.

Agree as well. And wouldn't basing something in SPACE lose the entire point of DCA lol.

But what I do like about this land is it's the closest we have to a 'Tomorrowland' in DCA in that it at least deals with technology. Not in a science fact way the original did but still a bit of futurism which a lot of the MCU does in general. Most lands in DCA is basically about living, the environment or entertainment. This is a functioning area with people doing things and having a purpose. And its also the only real fantasy area in the park which replaced the first fantasy area of the park, A Bug's Land. But you can certainly argue CL is a fantasy area too but it is based on a real life location like much of DCA.

This is why I really like the idea of this land. It not only gives DCA something a little different from the other lands, it adds a fantasy element the rest of the park doesn't truly have. I know DCA 2.0 added a lot of fantasy elements, but its mostly just Disney characters living in California type of angle. This one gives up a completely made up area and you can do quirkier things with it, which we have from Mission Breakout to Dr. Strange's sanctum.

fctiger

I agree that a Cosmic themed land doesn't fit in DCA, but neither does Mission: Breakout's exterior. So at this point, I am more concerned with the individual quality of each land and attraction in DCA since they seemed to have mostly abandoned the overall theme of the park.

I agree with you about Mission Breakout, which felt so out of place before. But it doesn't anymore because it now adds to this space and part of the fantasy elements of this genre it's going for. That's why AC works because you can imagine it as part of California BUT it's now part of a fantasy area within it where anything goes, just like Marvel or most comic book stories in general. Most of those stories and characters take place and live in the modern day real world but also where all these fantastical things are constantly happening within it.

I can imagine something like Mission Breakout existing in this space just like Wakanda exist in contemporary Africa today. Or where Dr. Strange's Sanctum Sanctorum exists in New York.

That's the beauty of this area. For example, the land may not be based on some cosmic area in space, but nothing stops them from going to space either in the new E ticket ride. It takes place on a quinjet and those things have literally gone to space in the Marvel movies and TV shows. In fact thinking about it, the quinjet ride could really just be a new modern day Star Tours where instead of that ride taking you to different parts of the Star Wars universe, this one takes you to different parts of the Marvel universe, both earth and cosmic bound.

So it can all fit just fine!

fctiger

It's painfully obvious Universal will still have the best Marvel attraction.

As someone who has been on that ride in both Florida and Osaka, I can't disagree. It's been awhile since I rode it since I haven't been to any Universal parks outside of Hollywood in over a decade but it's still one of the best rides out there, at least for me. Disney had to know with the only other SM ride around, people are going to compare the two just for having the same character. I think Web Slingers will be a fun and popular ride for sure, but it's not going to be anything close to Amazing Adventures of Spider Man.

mickEblu

Agree as well. And wouldn't basing something in SPACE lose the entire point of DCA lol.

But what I do like about this land is it's the closest we have to a 'Tomorrowland' in DCA in that it at least deals with technology. Not in a science fact way the original did but still a bit of futurism which a lot of the MCU does in general. Most lands in DCA is basically about living, the environment or entertainment. This is a functioning area with people doing things and having a purpose. And its also the only real fantasy area in the park which replaced the first fantasy area of the park, A Bug's Land. But you can certainly argue CL is a fantasy area too but it is based on a real life location like much of DCA.

This is why I really like the idea of this land. It not only gives DCA something a little different from the other lands, it adds a fantasy element the rest of the park doesn't truly have. I know DCA 2.0 added a lot of fantasy elements, but its mostly just Disney characters living in California type of angle. This one gives up a completely made up area and you can do quirkier things with it, which we have from Mission Breakout to Dr. Strange's sanctum.

I was speaking more in terms of aesthetics (and I guess whatever loose interpretation of DCA 1.0 still exists too ) when I said a space land wouldn’t really work (or have enough room to be done properly IMO) in its location at DCA. Outside of BVS, Grizzly Peak and whatever is left of Hollywoodland the “California” ship has sailed. Of course a MCU space land would be much more of a departure of the original theme than Pixar Pier and Cars Land IMO.

I do like the concept of Avengers Campus being the Tomorrowland of DCA. So much In fact that I have posted a few times here how I would love to see a skyway going from Tomorrowland to Avengers Campus. I just don’t know if it will really feel that way outside of maybe the Spider-Man queue/ pre show and possibly the restaurant. I don’t think we can really classify Avengers Campus (can we officially abbreviate this to AC?) ... I don’t think we can officially classify AC as a fantasy land as the imagineers themselves went out of their way to say that Avengers Campus is actually located at DCA, the theme park. With that said I see where you are coming from. All the other lands are based on more realistic settings. Even Pixar Pier still just feels like a real life Pier with characters slapped onto facades. Not like we entered some fantasy version of a pier.

PostScott

Guys the spider bot is 79.99+tax.

“Want a small kinda spider-like robot that can move ever so slightly and “shoot lasers” for over $80?”

“Oh you want the robots to fight with their invisible lasers? That’ll be around $200”

mickEblu

I have been on it, and it is great, but that doesn't mean Disney shouldn't have something comparable or better in their Marvel land.

I didn’t mean thematically, I meant more aesthetically and because of the size constraints in its current location. I think they would need much more of blank slate for any cosmo themed land at DCA to be done right. It would have to either go in the Simba lot or maybe the Easter gateway expansion area.

I agree the “California” ship has sailed although I do enjoy the parts of it that has remained and or been plussed since DCA 1.0

mickEblu

I don't think even Disney knows what DCA is supposed to be anymore, but it's obvious they don't care. They'll just slap whatever they want in there and call it an Immersive Experience. Spider Bots, Soarin' Over China, Pixar Seaside Park, The Little Mermaid. It's a complete disaster.

It’s Disney’s Universal Studios in Disney clothing. The park they can tinker with and be synergistic with the latest IP.

LastoneOn

Not a big MCU fan, but if the ride is fun its fun, I can overlook what its based on pretty easily. I don't know anything about the new attractions, but am willing to try whenever I get there. Any negativity I have, or have expressed, is more about not being an MCU fan than what's going on in DCA. Just tired of the MCU mania, same with Frozen, Star Wars, all of that. Over saturated, can't get away from it. Used to love the original score of SW, now I can't stand to hear it - the use the same usual pieces of it over and over and over. Then we've got to watch some stormtroopers trundle around and act tough. I don't play along, ignore them. I'd rather chat with Gaston about his pushup regimen!

MarvelCharacterNerd

If we want to just talk about lands at DCA, Marvel Land will be the second worst land at the park, right after Hollywoodland.
:D Hollywood Land is where 90% of my happiest moments in all the Disneyland Resort have been - and I've spent more hours in Hollywood Land over the past decade than in Disneyland Park over a lifetime due to becoming more of a regular parkgoer in the past decade vs. more of a tourist in the years before.

Main Street is charming to me because the Dapper Dans are there.
New Orleans Square is charming to me because the Bootstrappers are there. (And Jambalaya Jazz Band if they return.)
Buena Vista Street is charming to me because Five & Dime are there and Red Car Trolley News Boys were there.
Tower of Terror became dear to me because the Silver Lake Sisters were there.
Tomorrowland Terrace is beloved to me because so many favorite bands and performers played there.
Big Thunder Ranch BBQ was a HUGE loss to me, not just for the best food in the park, but because of losing Tex and Miss Chris.

etc. etc. etc.

Best and worst is in the eye of the beholder. Once Avengers Campus opens, I expect it and Buena Vista Street will be the two places I spend all my time in DCA, assuming all of Marvel is removed from Hollywood Land. And I'll miss Hollywood Land thanks to all the incredible memories I made there.

#ifollowthecharactersandentertainment #thecastmakesthemagic

mickEblu

:D Hollywood Land is where 90% of my happiest moments in all the Disneyland Resort have been - and I've spent more hours in Hollywood Land over the past decade than in Disneyland Park over a lifetime due to becoming more of a regular parkgoer in the past decade vs. more of a tourist in the years before.

Main Street is charming to me because the Dapper Dans are there.
New Orleans Square is charming to me because the Bootstrappers are there. (And Jambalaya Jazz Band if they return.)
Buena Vista Street is charming to me because Five & Dime are there and Red Car Trolley News Boys were there.
Tower of Terror became dear to me because the Silver Lake Sisters were there.
Tomorrowland Terrace is beloved to me because so many favorite bands and performers played there.
Big Thunder Ranch BBQ was a HUGE loss to me, not just for the best food in the park, but because of losing Tex and Miss Chris.

etc. etc. etc.

Best and worst is in the eye of the beholder. Once Avengers Campus opens, I expect it and Buena Vista Street will be the two places I spend all my time in DCA, assuming all of Marvel is removed from Hollywood Land. And I'll miss Hollywood Land thanks to all the incredible memories I made there.

#ifollowthecharactersandentertainment #thecastmakesthemagic

I mean hey something has to be the worst. Lol. Just because it’s the worst doesn’t mean it doesn’t have redeeming qualities. The worst land at DCA is better than the best land at Six Flags. I’m glad you enjoy it, the entertainment and have fond memories there and but sorry some things are just objectively worse than others.

Disneylover152

The one thing DCA is good at is creating a great atmosphere. Besides the backlot area & from the looks of it Marvel, each area has charm. I love walking along Route 66 and eating at Flos overlooking the beautiful mountain range, I love looking at all the detail that Buena Vista Street has, I love sitting on a bench in Grizzly Peak or playing on the Redwood Creek Challenge, I love eating a snack in the Pier area. The park really has a nice atmosphere. It's a shame the theme is a train wreck.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom