Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

MarvelCharacterNerd

Campus was crazy busy this week - shoulder to shoulder guests at times.

Tons of characters out and about, but they continue to change things up every time I go. Characters are now teaming up at times to roam around. Various characters are doing hero training sessions with the kids or missions to follow all around Campus. I could barely keep up with Cap and Black Widow running all around Campus on a mission, but it was SO much fun! :)

Just the most vibrant and constantly changing location in the whole resort. I only left to get food and then came back. They still haven't quite gotten that to my tastes there. lol Fortunately, there are plenty of good places to eat in DCA.

I hope to see Ms. Marvel but may be blocked out during her visit. :( The only other characters I missed seeing there were Hawkeye - though I'd seen him in the Hollywood Backlot back in the day - and Kate Bishop in their stunt show with the Tracksuit Mafia as they were also there when I couldn't get in. :(

SuddenStorm

Marvel is almost a 100% character driven franchise that relies on introducing new characters regularly. Outside of Wakanda, there aren't really any noteworthy unique locations. It doesn't help that a lot of it takes place in the 'real world', which you don't want to build in a theme park.

It also makes designing a themed environment for that land difficult, since it has to be able to quickly adapt and have it make thematic sense that there's multiple heroes wandering around in one place. I agree the land looks uninspiring but it's awesome how quickly they're able to get new characters in the land.

SuddenStorm

New Orleans is a real place and it works in Disneyland. There’s no excuse as to why Disney couldn’t have built a city for Marvel. It would have been cool and it would have made sense.

Yes, but modern WDI overthinks everything so there had to be a plausible explanation on why you could have heroes from all over in one place. New Orleans Square is also hardly representative of actual New Orleans... the land was designed to be charming and fantastical, drawing inspiration from the ideal New Orleans.

I'd be curious to see Imagineering take a stab at a romanticized New York for a Marvel Land or something but I understand why they chose a Campus... they just needed to do a way better job designing it than they did.

mickEblu

Yes, but modern WDI overthinks everything so there had to be a plausible explanation on why you could have heroes from all over in one place. New Orleans Square is also hardly representative of actual New Orleans... the land was designed to be charming and fantastical, drawing inspiration from the ideal New Orleans.

I'd be curious to see Imagineering take a stab at a romanticized New York for a Marvel Land or something but I understand why they chose a Campus... they just needed to do a way better job designing it than they did.

A romanticized San Francisco I think was the move but alas. I’m curious to hear what you think of the land after you see it.

Californian Elitist

Well, the Avengers films had various heroes from all over in one place. NOS, romanticized or not, is still based on the actual New Orleans. I like your idea of something similar for San Francisco, or even a fictional city with inspiration taken from various real cities. It would have been cool to see.

EPCOTCenterLover

They have a model for a romanticized NYC- It's the American Waterfront in Tokyo Disneysea.

DrAlice

A romanticized San Francisco I think was the move but alas. I’m curious to hear what you think of the land after you see it.
Wow. This is such a simple idea, it's brilliant. Fits Marvel's cityscape theme. check.... Fits CA park theme. check.... Blends in with neighboring park stuff (Ghiradelli is RIGHT THERE!) check... They could've even made an homage to the GG Bridge monorail crossing.

Oh well. We got what we got. Yay?

DavidDL

A romanticized San Francisco would have complimented the Pacific Wharf area nicely. Since that area is already heavily inspired by San Francisco.

I was just having this discussion with my wife the other day. The fact that they didn't capitalize specifically on Ant-Man, Iron-Man and Black Panther for DCA is beyond me. Ant-Man 1 and 2 take place in San Francisco, Tony Stark's mansion and Stark Industries are located in Malibu and Los Angeles, respectively. -and Black Panther literally opened the Wakandan International Outreach Centre in Oakland.

But nah, here's Spider-Man (New York based) and the Guardians of the Galaxy (not even Earth based) for DCA. -and Iron-Man and Ant-Man? They're in the Hong Kong park! Okay. :rolleyes:

Vegas Disney Fan

Besides having many places to fry in the sun, is the overall campus even that Californian in feel or design?

I’ve been there a half dozen times and prior to reading this thread never even considered it wasn’t set in New York, Sanctum Sanctorum (Manhattan in the movies), the Avengers headquarters building (upstate New York in the movies), and a Spider-Man ride in an old brick warehouse covered in graffiti... that’s all New York to me. There’s nothing about this land that makes me think CA.

Had they made Guardians the Avengers tower rather than an alien building that would have fit the New York theme also. As the collectors building it makes absolutely no sense to anything around it thematically.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom