Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

mickEblu

Not really. A backstory for every little detail, character, and shop? It’s so dumb. Matterhorn doesn’t need anything more than that there’s a yeti. We don’t need to know where he came from or his history. It doesn’t matter! Little details that imply more are cool but actually stating what they are is stupid.

I don't think your issue is with world building, its with modern Disney's/ the theme park industries definition/approach for "story" and "immersion" in the parks.

britain

Little details that imply more are cool but actually stating what they are is stupid.

A-ha! This is the issue. Implicit vs. Explicit.

The world-building process (say an interior designer thinks carefully about what sort of teapot Geppetto would have on his shelf, would he get it from the same silversmith around the corner, etc. etc.) is what nerds think about and all people have an emotional response to - though they may not know it - because it's a careful consideration. It's not a random teapot, it's just the right teapot.

Publishing a comic describing an adventure Geppetto and that silversmith go on and in which the teapot is made would be silly.

Mac Tonight

"See this trash can? It was one that the Empire had used and got picked up by the First Order. It contained some of Darth Vader's old napkins!"

"See this crack in the building? That happened when a band of resistance fighters got in a fist fight with a gang of intergalactic ruffians known as the Urkelators. The Urkleators wanted all the cheese in the Cantina, but Oga said no no no! It's also been said that one of the Urkelators saw the crack in the wall and said 'FASIJF A SIDFJSI SOJA?' (which is roughly translated as 'did I do that?')."

"See this stain on the ground? That's where a droid went peepee."

britain

J.R.R. Tolkien used to talk about Misty Mountains. And by that he meant the faint backdrops that you used to set up a story to imply greater history, greater depth, etc. There needs to be some backstory in mind so that the details will ring true. But if you want to turn the backstory into THE story, Tolkien said, that would require more Misty Mountains to be added in the scene. In other words, you would need to write more backstory to inform you as you write the story.

World building is great, but it can’t be the point of what you’re doing. It’s got to stay in the background.

Nerds (almost by definition) are not satisfied with the surface level experience. They find more entertainment from the backstory and the “how it’s made” creative process.

Thus we all “care” about this stuff because the surface level experience at the parks would suffer if it weren’t there. But only nerds care enough to scrutinize and debate about it.

Last edited:

Franklin47disneyguy

I watched the latest Freshbaked construction update and they mentioned that a new entrance is being build for philharmagic in Hollywood land. Anyone thinks this has anything to do with closing the backlot for marvel expansion?

mickEblu

I watched the latest Freshbaked construction update and they mentioned that a new entrance is being build for philharmagic in Hollywood land. Anyone thinks this has anything to do with closing the backlot for marvel expansion?

Probably not because then Monsters inc would be on the refurb schedule. I think it’s just to get more bodies in the theatre.

britain

Hee-hee!

planodisney

I watched Black Panther again with my 10 year old.
Man is that movie ever overrated. Not terrible but of all the Marvel movies it has some of the most forced and cheesy dialogue.
I still think Marvel in DCA is going to be much more
Sci/fi / futuristic looking than people are thinking.
Phase 1, but particularly phase 2 behind ToT into the existing lot.
How would Wakanda thematically fit into DCA? I can’t see them even finding a reasonable way to force fit the theme ala Carsland or the Marvel California base.

BubbaisSleep

I watched Black Panther again with my 10 year old.
Man is that movie ever overrated. Not terrible but of all the Marvel movies it has some of the most forced and cheesy dialogue.
I still think Marvel in DCA is going to be much more
Sci/fi / futuristic looking than people are thinking.
Phase 1, but particularly phase 2 behind ToT into the existing lot.
How would Wakanda thematically fit into DCA? I can’t see them even finding a reasonable way to force fit the theme ala Carsland or the Marvel California base.
Well to be fair, it is an origin story. I feel like most people over-hype origin stories expecting the Avengers-level content. I've seen the same complaints with Captain Marvel & Dr. Strange. For origin stories, I think Marvel has done a pretty great job and I can't wait for the sequels of each to turn up the action. Can't blame people for being excited to see an origin story that's a bit different than the rest, which is why Black Panther was so popular even before it's release. Black Panther is a little more than just a movie for many people but representation is for another topic. Definitely overrated, but I'm not sure if it's by popularity of the character as opposed to people phrasing the movie's story. If anything, even fans say it's story is like a glorified Lion King but it just connects to fans.

Wakanda will never fit into DCA, but opening a center by Wakanda can. In a lot of ways Marvel Land can viewed as an interpretation of Epcot. Iron Man & his father even designed Stark Expo to look like Epcot, promoting new technological advances in different pavilions. Blank Panther ended with Shuri opening a base in Oakland, so she would simply open a new one in Anaheim showcasing all of their technology. Not very California in terms of using history as a setting like Knotts does, but DCA seems to be moving away from that unfortunately.

Last edited:

SSG

Is Bob is giving us a hint about a new treat coming to DCA?:

Robert Iger Verified account @RobertIger

"My favorite ice cream from our good friends at @amplehills in collaboration with @MarvelStudios!
Check out the new flavors!!!"

Attachments

• ice cream.jpg
    ice cream.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 226

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom