Avatar's first sequel delayed until late 2017

DisneyRoy

All 4 scripts are written. The only way they won't get made now is if Cameron loses interest in the project. I can't see that happening since he has spent so long developing the movies and the tech to shoot them.

These movies seem to be a passion project of his and he has the money to make them happen.

That and the fact they they are going to do all the filming for all 4 at once. Since it's all mo-cap and green screen it won't take a huge amount of time to film. The Magic comes in the details of converting all that to the cgi we see on screen.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
All 4 scripts are written. The only way they won't get made now is if Cameron loses interest in the project. I can't see that happening since he has spent so long developing the movies and the tech to shoot them.

These movies seem to be a passion project of his and he has the money to make them happen.
He won't lose interest. If you watch the nightline video he talks about how after Titanic and Avatar he could have just retired and lived a comfortable life but he wants to work, he enjoys it. He also mentioned in one of the videos that he came up with the idea for Avatar when he had a dream about a bioluminescent forest when he was 17. That means he spent nearly 40 years thinking about the original movie before it finally got made. He's not going to give up on the sequels because of a few years of delays and he doesn't need money so it's not a problem that he's not getting paid while he tinkers with this project.

PorterRedkey

I don't know how Cameron will take a formula movie with good 3D effects and make it into other movies. Basically he has to build a whole new story around a visual effects driven movie. I'm not seeing it. I hope he succeeds and does something worth while, he's a wealthy man who can get this financed if he wants. Again I'm not seeing it. Cameron is a very formula guy who usually relies on visual effects not story telling.
Cameron is hoping to film the Avatar sequels in a 3-D format that does not require the viewer to wear glasses. I think that will be pretty impressive.

Princess Leia

Cameron is hoping to film the Avatar sequels in a 3-D format that does not require the viewer to wear glasses. I think that will be pretty impressive.
That alone will probably raise the box office for at least the first sequel. Theaters are going to need to install new equipment, and that won't be cheap, so ticket prices will go up. Between the high ticket cost and the novelty factor, I can see the first sequel doing moderately to incredibly well in theaters regardless of the plot.

PorterRedkey

Well if Cameron manages to make another 3D breakthrough the movies once again will set box office records regardless of story.

Avatar was a huge BO success because of its tech not because of story
I would say that it was the 3D and the striking visuals. I went to see the 1st movie because of the 3D and ending up wanting to visit Pandora. The story was nothing new, but it could have been worse.

Another "tech reason" to see the new Avatar films is the underwater motion capture. That should be cool to see, especially if it is bioluminescent.

Casper Gutman

Even if they do, it doesn't mean all 4 will get finished. The way these movies are made "filming" is only a tiny part of the process.

Also, I believe Cameron gets the rights to Terminator back in 2019 and has expressed interest in returning to that series - and it looks like the studio will wait for him. As screwed up as the Terminator franchise is, it has a much larger cultural footprint and lends itself to sequels far more easily than Avatar.

The chance we ever get another Avatar is probably a bit under 50%

This is why you want to own the property before you build a $1 billion land - or at the very least, choose a property that has a large amount of existing media.

Fun test: What is the most iconic dialogue from Avatar? Aliens had "It's a bug hunt, man," "Game over, man, game over," and "Get away from her you..." - Terminator had "Hasta la vista, baby," "Come with me if you want to live," "I'll be back" - Titanic has "I'm the king of the world!" What's the equivalent in Avatar?

Princess Leia

Also, I believe Cameron gets the rights to Terminator back in 2019 and has expressed interest in returning to that series - and it looks like the studio will wait for him. As screwed up as the Terminator franchise is, it has a much larger cultural footprint and lends itself to sequels far more easily than Avatar.

The chance we ever get another Avatar is probably a bit under 50%

This is why you want to own the property before you build a $1 billion land - or at the very least, choose a property that has a large amount of existing media.

Fun test: What is the most iconic dialogue from Avatar? Aliens had "It's a bug hunt, man," "Game over, man, game over," and "Get away from her you..." - Terminator had "Hasta la vista, baby," "Come with me if you want to live," "I'll be back" - Titanic has "I'm the king of the world!" What's the equivalent in Avatar?
"I see you"

And I would have completely forgotten that if it wasn't in one of the Pandora videos.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Release Dates Announced for Next Four Avatar Movies
http://411mania.com/movies/release-dates-announced-for-next-four-avatar-movies/

The official Facebook page for the Avatar movie franchise has announced the following release dates for the long-delayed sequels, which have now begun production. You can check out the full announcement below.

The first Avatar from writer-director James Cameron was released in 2009. It’s been over six years, and despite lots of talk and promises for several sequels, they have yet to materialize. The highly anticipated second film is now slated for a December 18, 2020 release date. For those keeping score at home, that’s 11 years after the first film.

Meanwhile, Avatar 3 is slated to come out on December 17, 2021. Avatar 4 will then follow three years later on December 20, 2024. And a fifth film will then drop on December 19, 2025. So for fans who have waited all this time for a new Avatar movie, you now have a little over two-and-a-half years until the next one.

“Great to be working with the best team in the business! Avatar takes flight as we begin concurrent production on four sequels. The journey continues December 18, 2020, December 17, 2021, December 20, 2024 and December 19, 2025!”

Princess Leia

The official Facebook page for the Avatar movie franchise has announced the following release dates for the long-delayed sequels, which have now begun production. You can check out the full announcement below.

The first Avatar from writer-director James Cameron was released in 2009. It’s been over six years, and despite lots of talk and promises for several sequels, they have yet to materialize. The highly anticipated second film is now slated for a December 18, 2020 release date. For those keeping score at home, that’s 11 years after the first film.

Meanwhile, Avatar 3 is slated to come out on December 17, 2021. Avatar 4 will then follow three years later on December 20, 2024. And a fifth film will then drop on December 19, 2025. So for fans who have waited all this time for a new Avatar movie, you now have a little over two-and-a-half years until the next one.

“Great to be working with the best team in the business! Avatar takes flight as we begin concurrent production on four sequels. The journey continues December 18, 2020, December 17, 2021, December 20, 2024 and December 19, 2025!”
2020????
I guess that it doesn't matter if the cast has aged, because they'll be portrayed as CGI aliens.

Does this mean that Star Wars IX comes out summer 2020? Cameron doesn't want Avatar to compete with Star Wars.

No Name

Another delay! Oh goodie!

Originally 2014 was the aim, with Avatar 3 coming out in 2015. Now 6 years, many delays, and an additional two planned films later, maybe 2020 is the real year? I don't know.

Does this mean that Star Wars IX comes out summer 2020? Cameron doesn't want Avatar to compete with Star Wars.

Star Wars Episode 9 says it comes out May 2019, but it could very well be pushed to December, like this year's #8 was. Lightstorm is either trying to avoid the poissibility of being near Star Wars, or they just know that they won't be ready for a 2019 release.

Anyway, well, it seems they are filming two at a time. Call my cynical, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the third movie be the last for a while. I hope they do well though.

csmat99

I think Cameron is really smart. He figures if he waits over a decade for the sequel people will forget how bad the first movie was and his script he wrote for it.

rushtest4echo

2020????
I guess that it doesn't matter if the cast has aged, because they'll be portrayed as CGI aliens.

I'm sure they'll release at least a few months apart. March release, May release, July release, November release, Christmas release.

Besides, you're assuming it'll actually come out in 2020 and that's just putting too much faith in Cameron's ability to release something 3 years away on time. Until it's wrapped, edited, cut, reshot, reedited and recut I won't trust a Cameron release date. None of those are even starting till August, and he thinks he's going to do 4 films worth of shooting.

Let's face it, he'll probably die of natural causes well before the second one is out, let alone 3-5. ;)

Princess Leia

Another delay! Oh goodie!

Originally 2014 was the aim, with Avatar 3 coming out in 2015. Now 6 years, many delays, and an additional two planned films later, maybe 2020 is the real year? I don't know.

Star Wars Episode 9 says it comes out May 2019, but it could very well be pushed to December, like this year's #8 was. Lightstorm is either trying to avoid the poissibility of being near Star Wars, or they just know that they won't be ready for a 2019 release.

Anyway, well, it seems they are filming two at a time. Call my cynical, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the third movie be the last for a while. I hope they do well though.
Oh, whoops, I mixed IX with the standalone Star Wars movie. I think that one has a summer 2020 release too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom