Avatar: The Way of the Water... what did you think? (No spoilers)

Ghost93

No character really changed from the start and no one by the end felt like anyone rooting for. In nearly three and a half hours.

Bht hey, we got a pg-13 F Bomb one time use in there. So odd.
Apparently in the writing process they decided to split Avatar 2 into two movies. So Avatar went from a four-film franchise to a five film franchise.

So I suspect a lot of the character arcs set up for Kiri, Loak, Spider and Quaritch won't really begin to pay off until the third movie.

The Way of Water felt a lot like the Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey or Timothee Chalamet's Dune movie in terms of feeling like we are only getting the set up for the REAL story to pay off in the next movie. I thought the Way of Water was very entertaining and immersive, but it didn't feel like a complete movie the way the first Avatar did.

celluloid

Apparently in the writing process they decided to split Avatar 2 into two movies. So Avatar went from a four-film franchise to a five film franchise.

So I suspect a lot of the character arcs set up for Kiri, Loak, Spider and Quaritch won't really begin to pay off until the third movie.

The Way of Water felt a lot like the Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey or Timothee Chalamet's Dune movie in terms of feeling like we are only getting the set up for the REAL story to pay off in the next movie. I thought the Way of Water was very entertaining and immersive, but it didn't feel like a complete movie the way the first Avatar did.
Regardless of the reason, the art suffered when they stretched it for finances and the writing not as tight, which diminishes the brand a bit in the long run.(and some immediate with less than the first's word of mouth.)

CaptainAmerica

I didn't care one war or the other about Spider or any character really. When characters were in peril or worse my reaction was just kind of "meh, who was that again?".
Oh wow, I really disagree with that. I thought the characters were a home run. The only quibble I have is that the two sons were visually too similar to one another so I had a hard time telling them apart until they spoke.

jeangreyforever

Oh wow, I really disagree with that. I thought the characters were a home run. The only quibble I have is that the two sons were visually too similar to one another so I had a hard time telling them apart until they spoke.
That reminds me that it confused me as to why all the children had different accents. They didn't even sound similar to either parent.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom