Avatar (the movie) and its Sequels

choco choco

Avatar is very popular in China, on the conception (perhaps misconception) that the floating mountains setting in the movie was inspired by their own landscape in the Zhangjiajie National Forest Park area. If you've ever been there, you would know that the movie is used prominently in publicity for the area and is a real tourist draw, with screenshots often appearing in all the brochures and certain lookout points being touted as the one "used" in the movie. So there's some sense of nationalism making it a pretty familiar property over there.

I wouldn't take too much to their box office numbers. In addition to whatever the heck is the public health situation over there, historically China has censorship issues, cinemas are not as common as in other countries and there's not a strong movie-going culture there. The main way they watch stuff is through piracy.

Last edited:

Slpy3270

Honestly… anything that makes the western world less dependent on China is a win in my book.
On the other hand Iger made China a critical part of his strategy to offset continuing decline in Western box office receipts. He even point-blank said that if the Mulan live-action remake didn't do gangbusters in China, they'd have a problem.

Guess what? It flopped hard in China. And if China can't bail out the flagging Western box office, what will?

CaptainAmerica

On the other hand Iger made China a critical part of his strategy to offset continuing decline in Western box office receipts. He even point-blank said that if the Mulan live-action remake didn't do gangbusters in China, they'd have a problem.

Guess what? It flopped hard in China. And if China can't bail out the flagging Western box office, what will?
It didn't "flop hard" in China. It was released at the peak of the worst pandemic in a century.

Ghost93

Second Tuesday was $23.8m.

The best Domestic comparable is Rogue One, but TWoW is now on a three-day winning streak in the head to head daily box office.
At this point, I feel pretty confident that Avatar: The Way of Water will beat Top Gun Maverick as the highest-grossing movie of the year worldwide. It may not beat it domestically, but I'm fairly sure it will surpass it worldwide.

Disney Analyst

Way of Water now has bragging rights to being the fastest to $1B since Spider-Man: No Way Home and the fastest to the mark in 2022. It has also become only the 6th film ever to cross $1B in its first two weeks of release, and the 4th Disney release to do so.

Tuesday gave the Na’vi $50.8M from offshore markets and $23.8M domestically.”

At this point, I feel pretty confident that Avatar: The Way of Water will beat Top Gun Maverick as the highest-grossing movie of the year worldwide. It may not beat it domestically, but I'm fairly sure it will surpass it worldwide.

Do you think it will make up around 400 million in this last week?

_caleb

This seems to be a trend with James Cameron movies. Both Titanic and the first Avatar were considered flops after their opening weekends, but then they had unusually long legs.
Unusually long legs

Sexy Long Legs GIF by Tutimon

doctornick

This seems to be a trend with James Cameron movies. Both Titanic and the first Avatar were considered flops after their opening weekends, but then they had unusually long legs.
There’s still a lot of time to see how it plays out, but it seemed really odd to me for people to be labeling this underperforming when it was obviously going to be something that had its value tied to legs as opposed to a robust opening weekend. Particularly with the long running time which limits the total number of shows in a day/weekend (especially the availability in premium formats).

Last edited:

_caleb

There’s still a lot of time to see how it plays out, but it seemed really to me for people to be labeling this underperforming when it was obviously going to be something that had its value tied to legs as opposed to a robust opening weekend. Particularly with the long running time which limits the total number of shows in a day/weekend (especially the availability in premium formats).
Par for the course on these boards: Everything is terrible and the sky is falling and why can't they just go back to the good old days?

Disney Analyst

There’s still a lot of time to see how it plays out, but it seemed really to me for people to be labeling this underperforming when it was obviously going to be something that had its value tied to legs as opposed to a robust opening weekend. Particularly with the long running time which limits the total number of shows in a day/weekend (especially the availability in premium formats).

Right on.

A lot of movies are front loaded, which doesn’t mean success in the end.

Avatar is a legs movie, as many pundits have stated. The fact it reached 1 billion so quickly, shows this. The sequel is doing great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom