Avatar (the movie) and its Sequels

Wendy Pleakley

I am very confident I will know the answer to that question by 7:30pm on the evening of this October 31st.

If I'm getting a bunch of blue aliens at my doorstep saying "Trick-or-Treat!" for Halloween '23, Avatar is officially a thing.

But I've never had a single blue alien on my door at Halloween in the last 13 years, even though I lived in a very popular trick-or-treat neighborhood with armies of kids and would go through several boxes of candy by 9:00pm. But never a blue alien from Avatar at my door.

Has anyone here had a kid show up at your door on Halloween dressed as an Avatar character? ;)

People claimed Avatar 2 would bomb because of "zero cultural impact".

This isn't a thing.

CaptainAmerica

On my way to second viewing. Trying non-premium non-3D this time.
Wow the audio in this theater suuuuuuuuucks. It sounds like AM radio played in a 1982 Honda Civic at full blast and it's only the previews. I have immediate regrets.

The Dolby auditorium was about double the price and at this point I'm thinking that's a bargain.

But let's take a moment of silence to appreciate the brilliant use of "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" in the Quantumania trailer.

Last edited:

Phroobar

Wow the audio in this theater suuuuuuuuucks. It sounds like AM radio played in a 1982 Honda Civic at full blast and it's only the previews. I have immediate regrets.

The Dolby auditorium was about double the price and at this point I'm thinking that's a bargain.

But let's take a moment of silence to appreciate the brilliant use of "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" in the Quantumania trailer.
You probably have a better sound system built into your tv. (and probably a bigger screen. <smirk>)

Disney Analyst

THURSDAY UPDATE: After hitting the $1B worldwide box office mark on Tuesday (see below), and with continued strength in its midweek play, James Cameron’s Avatar: The Way of Water has grossed just over $1.1B globally through Wednesday, doing so in just 15 days.

The full global gross to date is $1,100.6M, and of that, the international box office accounts for $762.8M, meaning that Way of Water will pass Top Gun: Maverick’s $770M offshore cume today to become the No. 1 international release of 2022 and the No. 2 studio title of the pandemic era overseas.
The 20th Century Studios/Disney sequel currently ranks as the No. 2 release of 2022 and No. 3 during the pandemic. Domestically, as Anthony reported, its $20M Wednesday is the top-grossing Wednesday of the year.

Overseas, it’s not showing signs of slowing. France, particularly, is on a tear having reached $75M through Wednesday. Elsewhere, and not included in the totals above, China added an estimated $3.7M on Thursday for a running cume of $116M while Maoyan has again upped its projections for a final at $180M. Korea’s Thursday (also not included above) was an estimated $2.1M for a $62.7M running cume.

The Top 5 markets through Wednesday are: China ($111.8M), France ($74.9M), Korea ($59.5M), Germany ($52.1M) and India ($42.4M).

LittleBuford

People claimed Avatar 2 would bomb because of "zero cultural impact".

This isn't a thing.
I admit that I was sceptical about how well the sequel would do given that the first film seemingly didn’t leave much of a mark on the public consciousness, but it’s rather silly for people to continue doubting now that we have clear proof to the contrary. And I say that as someone who found the first film very problematic and who has no interest in seeing the second until it comes to Disney+.

CaptainAmerica

2/3 of the way through the film.

PXL_20221229_183947708.jpg

Wendy Pleakley

Most people I believe want to see movies to be entertained primarily. Not to be reminded about our cultural shortcoming perceived or actual.

Just to be clear, when people talk about cultural impact of Avatar in this context it's not about any message or commentary on our culture to be found in the movie, but rather the notion that it was a forgettable movie, that no one really cared about or thought about afterward. It's didn't have a cultural impact in the sense there's little merchandise, no tie-in novels, etc.

People dismissed it's success as people just being suckered into the hype or something. The narrative continued when people insisted Avatar 2 would bomb because no one cared about or remembered the first.

Having said that, science fiction movies are about our culture. It's practically the definition of science fiction.

_caleb

Most people I believe want to see movies to be entertained primarily. Not to be reminded about our cultural shortcoming perceived or actual.
Except for Schindler's List. And Blood Diamond. And Hotel Rwanda, Blackhawk Down, American History X, Zero Dark Thirty, Hurt Locker...

DKampy

I admit that I was sceptical about how well the sequel would do given that the first film seemingly didn’t leave much of a mark on the public consciousness, but it’s rather silly for people to continue doubting now that we have clear proof to the contrary. And I say that as someone who found the first film very problematic and who has no interest in seeing the second until it comes to Disney+.
I actually had no idea how it would perform…As I know people who loved and did not care for the last one… I figured it would be another have to see it in a theater… So in that sense I thought it would do better than what some thought… After I saw how well the Rerelease did I had more confidence that more people are interested in Avatar than originally thought

After seeing the 2nd one I can say with confidence that this is going to do better than anyone predicted. James Cameron took what he did with the 1st and improved upon it in every way. I don’t understand the few people who say the plot is thin in the 2nd one… there is plenty of plot to chew on

I think it may have some legs with word of mouth and repeat viewings

Vegas Disney Fan

Where are people picking up the term "box checking?" I know what it means, but I'm curious why suddenly everyone is using it all the time.
From Disney themselves…

“I will tell you for the first time we received some incredibly well-written scripts that did not satisfy our standards in terms of inclusion, and we passed on them," Dana Walden, Walt Disney Television's Chairman of Entertainment, said.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Its going to be close but it does look like WoW has a real good shot at surpassing Maverick worldwide Saturday, making it the top movie of the year. Now it won't obviously top it domestically, so Maverick will still have that to brag about.

But overall this is going to be a photo finish to see who takes home the worldwide trophy for 2022.

CaptainAmerica

Its going to be close but it does look like WoW has a real good shot at surpassing Maverick worldwide Saturday, making it the top movie of the year. Now it won't obviously top it domestically, so Maverick will still have that to brag about.

But overall this is going to be a photo finish to see who takes home the worldwide trophy for 2022.
That's not how it works.

Everything WoW makes into 2023 will count towards "top grossing movie of 2022."

Dear.... Lord...

I started reading this thread yesterday, from page 1. It took me a day of off and on reading to finally get here to page 27, and there is SO MUCH I want to say...

1st - a whole BUNCH of posts from the first five pages or so did NOT age well. So many "projections" of gloom and doom.

2nd - what in Holy Hercules is all the "legs" talk?! If it has legs, if it keeps legs, if it legs out, standing on legs. Goodness, folks. Find another buzz word! LoL

3rd - isn't it telling when people just spout anything with terms and figures, and type it like they have a CLUE what they are talking about, and when called out for their stupidity, they chime in several pages later like they are still relevant? Did you not see where you and your opinion were sent to the stool in the corner with the "Dunce" cap waiting for you?

4th - if someone said they were going to the movies to see WoW and get a Snickers, there would be AT LEAST two pages of posts debating the best candy bar on this thread. God bless those of us with ADD. 😂

5th - While I can appreciate people having opinions, what I can't appreciate is folks who speak\type an OPINION like it's prophecy. Trust us, you aren't the smartest person in the room.

6th - I saw WoW. In 2D. No idea what fancy schmanchy tech hocus pocus. And it BLEW MY MIND!! The water beads running down their skin, teeny, tiny bubbles floating in the water in front of and around the Navi, the colors, the sounds... my whole family sat still for many minutes as the credits began to scroll, then every single one of us began to smile and talk about... about... everything! All at once! The whole thing! It had it all. Laughing, crying, anger, joy, sorrow and salvation. What A Ride!!

And 7th... If this movie is the highest grossing film of all time, I am ok with that. And if it isn't, I'm ok with that, too. I'm no Film Statistician, but I think WoW will do just fine. Go see it. Or don't. But stop spending your life tearing down a movie...

.... Unless its "Strange World." Then, by all means, pound away.

😁

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Dear.... Lord...

I started reading this thread yesterday, from page 1. It took me a day of off and on reading to finally get here to page 27, and there is SO MUCH I want to say...

1st - a whole BUNCH of posts from the first five pages or so did NOT age well. So many "projections" of gloom and doom.

2nd - what in Holy Hercules is all the "legs" talk?! If it has legs, if it keeps legs, if it legs out, standing on legs. Goodness, folks. Find another buzz word! LoL

3rd - isn't it telling when people just spout anything with terms and figures, and type it like they have a CLUE what they are talking about, and when called out for their stupidity, they chime in several pages later like they are still relevant? Did you not see where you and your opinion were sent to the stool in the corner with the "Dunce" cap waiting for you?

4th - if someone said they were going to the movies to see WoW and get a Snickers, there would be AT LEAST two pages of posts debating the best candy bar on this thread. God bless those of us with ADD. 😂

5th - While I can appreciate people having opinions, what I can't appreciate is folks who speak\type an OPINION like it's prophecy. Trust us, you aren't the smartest person in the room.

6th - I saw WoW. In 2D. No idea what fancy schmanchy tech hocus pocus. And it BLEW MY MIND!! The water beads running down their skin, teeny, tiny bubbles floating in the water in front of and around the Navi, the colors, the sounds... my whole family sat still for many minutes as the credits began to scroll, then every single one of us began to smile and talk about... about... everything! All at once! The whole thing! It had it all. Laughing, crying, anger, joy, sorrow and salvation. What A Ride!!

And 7th... If this movie is the highest grossing film of all time, I am ok with that. And if it isn't, I'm ok with that, too. I'm no Film Statistician, but I think WoW will do just fine. Go see it. Or don't. But stop spending your life tearing down a movie...

.... Unless its "Strange World." Then, by all means, pound away.

😁
I love a Hershey's Krackel, but you can't find them anywhere!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom