RunnerEd

I still think a great solution to this is to build a monorail or other transport from DAK to the AKL (operating similar to how the monorail works at DLR). Have some animal enclosures along the route so there stuff to see during the ride. This creates another attraction/thing to do and helps solve the issue of a lack of dining for DAK -- with the great restaurants at AKL being available much more easily, that basically doubles the sit down options for guests visiting the parks.

Plus, it creates an incentive for staying at AKL with a more streamlined access to the park.

The part and resort are close enough that it wouldn't be that costly to build and operate such a transport.

Instead of a monorail, I think a train would fit the theme of both places much better. Have it leave from the Africa section of AK, extend the savannahs along the rail route and then you simply stay within Africa to get to the lodges. Great idea!!! They may have to add a lunch service to Boma, though.

MerlinTheGoat

Budget wise has Disney ever done something on this scale? As in avatar land and the DHS stuff simultaneously?
Pretty much any time they build a new theme park is way bigger in scale than several simultaneous expansions.

We don't really know the true budgets for either of these projects. Even if we did, comparing the budgets of these and past expansions doesn't really tell us much. Besides inflation resulting in higher costs for building things, Disney has become incredibly bloated and wasteful with money when compared to their past major theme park developments. A $500 million to $1 billion budget got you exponentially greater quantity and quality in Disney theme park projects in the 80's and 90's. And even when you adjust those numbers for normal inflation, Disney still tears through immensely greater amounts of cash than inflation would cause in order to build comparable projects to what they put out back then (and it's quite arguable that even their best and most expensive efforts nowadays don't compare to the projects they undertook in the second half of the 20th century). So sure it's completely possible these expansions may seem big budget, but it's largely due to Disney's bloat and wastefulness.

Suspirian

i dont know how i feel about the monorail in DAK...kind of ruins the aesthetic look and takes away from the wild feel of the park.It could fit with maybe Dinoland near the institute (if that's possible), but even there...it sticks out.

matt9112

i dont know how i feel about the monorail in DAK...kind of ruins the aesthetic look and takes away from the wild feel of the park.It could fit with maybe Dinoland near the institute (if that's possible), but even there...it sticks out.

plus as has been discussed it is very expensive. until the bus fleet has to "tap out" capacity this wont even come across a desk....think about it MK and AK have both has bus stop expansions and the articulated high capacity buses seem to be moving forward.

SirLink

Lets say they moved the train connecting Rafiki Planet to a new area connecting that area with the AKL. If done right, with of course the right theme, could add to the Show though.

doctornick

Well, it would make some sense going next to Avatar, which is the part of the park closest to AKL....

That said, I wouldn't really expect a monorail given the costs (I'm just using that as a surrogate description), I think a train on the ground would make more sense -- though it would be kind of duplicating the Wilderness Express. But I think it would be a part of addressing both the lack of attractions and the lack of restaurants (especially sit down) issues that exist with DAK.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Budget wise has Disney ever done something on this scale? As in avatar land and the DHS stuff simultaneously?

EPCOT, MGM Studios and AK. DCA 2.0 more recently. If they think its worth it they have the cash, problem is deciding whether the ROI is high enough for the projects. They could also spread it out over 5 to 7 years.

Beholder

I'm thinking that the train that runs to the Planet Watch is a missed opportunity just waiting for a great re-imagining. African safari, exotic and dangerous outpost, a truly unique destination. Perhaps a train ride that takes us to some mythological African monster with a narrative told through a really immersive dark ride? My point is that this entire area is somewhat underutilized and would easy (I'm guessing) to reconfigure into something more attraction "heavy". Relocate the Conservation Station somewhere else, maybe closer to where some of the other animal exhibits are.

Or maybe this is all just rubbish.

TRONorail10

I'm thinking that the train that runs to the Planet Watch is a missed opportunity just waiting for a great re-imagining. African safari, exotic and dangerous outpost, a truly unique destination. Perhaps a train ride that takes us to some mythological African monster with a narrative told through a really immersive dark ride? My point is that this entire area is somewhat underutilized and would easy (I'm guessing) to reconfigure into something more attraction "heavy". Relocate the Conservation Station somewhere else, maybe closer to where some of the other animal exhibits are.

You are correct in that the train was a HUGE missed opportunity by Disney. Being that AK is such a large park and there is no mode of transportation between areas aside from walking. The original idea for the train was to bring guests to a different land behind Asia, but the land was never developed which is why the train only goes to Rafiki's Planet Watch. Disney should have taken a few pointers from Busch Gardens in terms of the train. Not only does their train serve as a transportation mode around the park itself, it also cuts through their "savanna" and allows an opportunity for some incredible animal viewing. Unfortunately, Disney will probably never relocate RPW because it wouldn't make any sense from a corporate financial perspective. However, if they wanted to utilize the train more, I could see them expanding the track if they ever develop a new land in the back of the park. This would make it more of a full circle loop as opposed to the out-and-back loop it's currently on.

doctornick

You are correct in that the train was a HUGE missed opportunity by Disney. Being that AK is such a large park and there is no mode of transportation between areas aside from walking. The original idea for the train was to bring guests to a different land behind Asia, but the land was never developed which is why the train only goes to Rafiki's Planet Watch. Disney should have taken a few pointers from Busch Gardens in terms of the train. Not only does their train serve as a transportation mode around the park itself, it also cuts through their "savanna" and allows an opportunity for some incredible animal viewing. Unfortunately, Disney will probably never relocate RPW because it wouldn't make any sense from a corporate financial perspective. However, if they wanted to utilize the train more, I could see them expanding the track if they ever develop a new land in the back of the park. This would make it more of a full circle loop as opposed to the out-and-back loop it's currently on.

Yes, that's how I'd picture it as well. If they build on the big undeveloped space between Rafiki/Africa and Asia -- Australia or South America, I would think -- then they should modify the train to do a circle from the Africa stop to Rafiki's to a stop on far side of the new land and through/around Asia (perhaps with a stop there). That would actually make the train a useful mode of transport and if they could buff up the views from it, all the better.

Suspirian

id love something related to the Kitum caves in Kenya.

TRONorail10

Everyone always hopes for an Australia or South America expansion area. While I think it would be cool to showcase all of the continents, I think in terms of potential animal exhibits and attractions, Disney should do a North America section of AK. North America not only offers a huge selection of mammals to display, but also allows for various landscapes and nature elements to be incorporated into the land. There's already several movies that could play into the theming as well, such as Pocahontas, Bambi, Brother Bear, and Fox & the Hound just to name a few. They could build the Rocky Mountains or something to blend in with Everest and have some sort of whitewater rafting excursion taking you through various animal habitats.

prfctlyximprct

Everyone always hopes for an Australia or South America expansion area. While I think it would be cool to showcase all of the continents, I think in terms of potential animal exhibits and attractions, Disney should do a North America section of AK. North America not only offers a huge selection of mammals to display, but also allows for various landscapes and nature elements to be incorporated into the land. There's already several movies that could play into the theming as well, such as Pocahontas, Bambi, Brother Bear, and Fox & the Hound just to name a few. They could build the Rocky Mountains or something to blend in with Everest and have some sort of whitewater rafting excursion taking you through various animal habitats.

When you said Australia, all I can think about now are kangaroos. And that'd be awesome!

NoChesterHester

While large... This isn't even close to the largest expansion or construction undertaking.

Early 80's saw a simultaneous design and construction of Epcot, Tokyo Disneyland, and the New Fantasyland of Disneyland. (CA). That was when the company was a fraction of its current size as well.

The late 1980's into the late 90's was a steady stream of construction activity. There really wasn't a break.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom