celluloid

years later and the sequels are not even done scripting yet, let alone filming. I think Disney really wants to include as much of Avatar 2 and 3 as possible to be relevant to not only what they include in theme but their release date, and the more that gets pushed back the more the project will. So it seems anyway.

Magenta Panther

Stop your killing me....LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.....Of those of you who are big fans of this project....you really need to think this thru. There are so many reasons why this wont happen and so few to say it will. I know I will be labeled a D&Ger and that's fine. I will live with it. But if you ask me Burbank right now has no idea what the He*& they are doing right now except that they are reimagining DTD. Which from a strictly business stand point is a no brainer. But even that is suspect because of the reasons PI /Hyperion Warf plans fell thru....but that's a different subject then what we are discussing here. Why would Burbank sink the amount of cash needed in this project right now? Yes there are other Avatar movies in the pipeline. But just because Cameron is at the helm does that make it automatic success? As of now the IP Avatar might as well have taken eons ago. Its so far from the lexicon of America it isn't funny. Burbank knows that they need to put a large investment in DHS right now. DO you honestly believe in heart of hearts they are going to invest that amount of money in both parks at the same time? And if so why? Also since the announcement of Avland Disney has purchased two significant properties. Why would they pay someone else to use their IP when a much better business strategy would be to use their own in which they need a ROI. So they don't PO Cameron? Cant off someone of his stature? Yea.....well as they say....S%*t happens.

Bravo! I too can't believe that TDO isn't having second thoughts about Avatar right now. I bet that's why there's been no real news and no announcements. I'm hoping anyway...

SirLink

Bravo! I too can't believe that TDO isn't having second thoughts about Avatar right now. I bet that's why there's been no real news and no announcements. I'm hoping anyway...

This isn't a TDO thing - this is a Burbank thing ... one would question though, and I would not be surprised if the BoD isn't thinking "We have Star Wars why do we have to pay for Avatar again".

El Grupo

Glad some of you liked the blog site. They have other ideas to expand Animal Kingdom too, but my favorite, is the idea of bringing mystic manor from Hong Kong to AK:

http://bwanablog.blogspot.com/search/label/DAK at night

If you scroll down, they do a whole write up on how Mystic Point would be the perfect fit for AK and I agree 100%. I could see Avatar, Mystic Point, and another Disney property ride plus a nightime show and a few restaurants really rounding out AK.

My hope is that Avatar is just the beginning of a new phase for AK. I don't see delays of the Lion King theatre being a cause for alarm-just a little set-back. The only alarm bell I hear is the bell that warns of Avatar's fading obscurity. I hope I'm wrong and that a sequel would revitalize the "franchise" but I guess only time will tell.

I agree on the Mystic Manor concept. My wish would be to see Disney incorporate that attraction into an overarching theme of Adventurers and Explorers throughout the park. Add some version of Mysterious Island and related attractions, re-imagine Dinosaur (possibly as an academy and Dino-land as a part of the campus), and include portions of the original Discovery Bay plans. Just my $.02.

Radok Block

years later and the sequels are not even done scripting yet, let alone filming. I think Disney really wants to include as much of Avatar 2 and 3 as possible to be relevant to not only what they include in theme but their release date, and the more that gets pushed back the more the project will. So it seems anyway.

As much as I'd like to see this project wither on the vine, I think you're right. The park opening will sync up with one of the sequel release dates, whenever those happen.

SirLink

Because Star Wars doesn't fit thematically into Animal Kingdom, so it can't help with that park?

BoD doesn't see that all they see is an expensive deal for a sci fi property - one they own outright one they don't.

N.B. Would not surprise me if their were a lot of survey takers out from now on asking guests about Avatar to try and kill the deal off ...

HenryMystic

You do all realize if we don't get Avatar, we get nothing at DAK, right? So, we could get a very impressive E-ticket with questionable source material or...nothing. Do you still want to be riding the "brand new" Expedition Everest in 2020?
I'd rather the money go to DHS so they can get that project right instead of doing a half-hearted DHS redo and Avatarland in a park that I frankly wouldn't mind not going to ever again.

GLaDOS

I'd rather the money go to DHS so they can get that project right instead of doing a half-hearted DHS redo and Avatarland in a park that I frankly wouldn't mind not going to ever again.

I would agree with this. And even then, DAK is completely fine for what it is. The animal exhibits are still top notch, and that's the most important thing in the park.

ToTBellHop

That's my point. It won't. The money is already going to DHS and the amount has been decided on. So either DAK gets a $700,000,000 Avatar expansion or it gets nothing and Burbank keeps its $700,000,000. This is not the olden days where Parks and Resorts get a chunk of change and choose what they want to do with it. Iger wants attractions to be based on movies, and he wants attractions based on Avatar. So you use your money to build Avatar (or now Star Wars) or you get no money.

Be careful what you wish for. You all seem to be wishing for nothing. Disney would love to give you what you want. It's cheaper to build nothing and let you enjoy frying pans in restrooms.

HenryMystic

That's my point. It won't. The money is already going to DHS and the amount has been decided on. So either DAK gets a $700,000,000 Avatar expansion or it gets nothing and Burbank keeps its $700,000,000. This is not the olden days where Parks and Resorts get a chunk of change and choose what they want to do with it. Iger wants attractions to be based on movies, and he wants attractions based on Avatar. So you use your money to build Avatar (or now Star Wars) or you get no money.

Be careful what you wish for. You all seem to be wishing for nothing. Disney would love to give you what you want. It's cheaper to build nothing and let you enjoy frying pans in restrooms.
Let Burbank keep the money for now. Board is holding the purse strings tighter, reallocate the money to an IP that they actually own. Iger doesn't make that Avatar deal if he knows he gets Star Wars a year later. It was a shortsighted desperation move by a guy with no vision.

If the money is spent in DAK on Avatar, its essentially wasted when it comes to me. I have no plans of ever visiting that park again or Disney Springs. So yeah, they can keep the money until they come up with a better plan.

GLaDOS

It hasn't received final approval. But the budget won't go up. It is not as though if they cancel Avatarland, DHS will get $1.3 billion to do whatever it wants. Avatar's money goes to DAK or it doesn't go anywhere in the swamps.

Maybe. Maybe not.

I'd rather take the chance of getting a worthwhile DHS redo and no Avatar than Avatar and a half done DHS redo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom