AVATAR land construction progress

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Isn't there a website that updates with aerials frequently? The sites name is blanking on me

Nearmap updates at least twice a year. Un-fortunately it looks like they have recently made it harder to use the service for free. You used to just have to click a link to get a demo you could use for a few minutes, but you could just use in private mode on your browser to do this over and over. Now you have to fill out a form to get demo access.

Incomudro

My family recently got back from a WDW vacation, and our first trip to Uni.
My twin sons are 14 years old now, and I had thought that Universal was going to win them over WDW due to its arguably more teenage boy oriented stuff.
My sons love super heroes, so I figured Marvel would hook them.
Then we had the Spiderman ride, Transformers, Minions, Simpsons (the whole family loves The Simpsons) JP, Mummy, Potter etc. I thought they'd have a new favorite park.
Not so.
Not even close.
They did enjoy Uni, but by the third ride we donned the 3D glasses for - they'd pretty much had enough of that.
"Is this going to be another one of those rides?" One asked.
By contrast, when we went to Disney - almost every ride went somewhere.
I've got nothing against screen based rides per say, but if my sons testimonial means anything - Universal does rely too heavily upon them.

gmajew

My twin sons are 14 years old now, and I had thought that Universal was going to win them over WDW due to its arguably more teenage boy oriented stuff.
Then we had the Spiderman ride, Transformers, Minions, Simpsons (the whole family loves The Simpsons) JP, Mummy, Potter etc. I thought they'd have a new favorite park.
Not so.
Not even close.
They did enjoy Uni, but by the third ride we donned the 3D glasses for - they'd pretty much had enough of that.
I've got nothing against screen based rides per say, but if my sons testimonial means anything - Universal does rely too heavily upon them.

It needs to be a perfect balance of both these days to please everyone. Spider - man is a great great ride, Transformers is to me the same as spiderman... Still fun but not as great....

The issue is Universal is building like crazy in the new age of screens so us old-timers are not used to every ride having this as a focal point and when well done like Spidey it is amazing...

Last edited:

twebber55

Not so.
Not even close.
thats the basic argument is that Universal doesnt offer enough variety (right or wrong)
not that screens are bad
me personally just rode Gringotts for the first time and i ve got to tell you i thougth it was awesome

OldBlueEyes

Happened to be in the neighborhood...
View attachment 145479

View attachment 145480

View attachment 145481
View attachment 145482
View attachment 145484
The detailing of the rock on the above photo is incredible.
View attachment 145485
View attachment 145486
View attachment 145487
Hopefully we are within a year of this opening. Was speaking to a cast member in Tiffins about this (and if Tiffins is within your budget you are crazy if you don't go). I was told many get to walk by the construction zone and can see the full extent of this project mad it develops. This individual said that they wished the park visitors could see everything beyond the small area that we see because the scope is incredible and the care to detail is tremendous.
Fantastic!! Some actual constructial news on the "AVATAR land construction progress"-
OBE

Marlins1

Not so.
Not even close.
I like this story because my daughter is also 14. She would rather go to WDW as well and the excessive screens and 3D glasses are a big factor. When in Disney she has no interest in Mission Space, TSMM or Star Tours. She likes thrill rides, slow moving rides and good shows but she would even skip Soarin if I would let her.

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
Agreed. Beyond Pandora, that is the next question that needs to be answered. Having just visited this park at night this past Thursday, it simply needs more to do at night (and during the day for some people). Both animal trails and Rafikis - including the train, are closed. That makes a big difference.

Pandora will help this to a degree, but another expansion is needed. African parties and carnivales are nice and all, and the ToL show is spectacular, but more rides are needed. I am all for South America and the rain forest. And an outpost related to the S.E.A. backstory.
100,000,000% agree on S.E.A. outpost.

JohnWD

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
As of June 14 - activity on the floating mountain.

NobodyElse

At DL HM they originally had a live actor that would scare you to death (eliminated because too scary if I remember).

Just to make a clarification, the knight in the hall of doors was not originally there. He was introduced sometime in the early 80's. This is an important distinction (especially to people like myself who have been riding HM for most of our lives). Having experienced the attraction so many times, the introduction of the live actor was even more of a shock than it might be to a first-time rider.

Another reason it was so effective was that (depending on the cast member) the suit of armor might stand still while three to five cars slid past. Then he would suddenly jump forward (or perhaps even swing an ax, if my memory serves me correctly).

Here's a quick Q&A with one of the knights.

djkidkaz

Why are the large cranes still on site? im sure those cost them a fortune each day and I never really see them lifting anything, just moving left to right.

dstrawn9889

Why are the large cranes still on site? im sure those cost them a fortune each day and I never really see them lifting anything, just moving left to right.
unlikely to raise things to that height... most of the work is now below the 'treeline' as it were. they are still there because they still have to get stuff on top of the showbuilding, and that is quite a stretch now to get around the rockwork to some open land to set up a mobile

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom