AVATAR land construction progress

Figment2005

So now that construction is finally well underway, I have a couple of question i'd like to ask specifically about the boat ride, anyone who has knowledge of it. I understand if you can't answer, but i'll try to be vague enough that you might be able to answer. They're mostly regarding the type of expectations I should set. So for anyone like @articos @Lee @marni1971 or anyone else, here are my (hopefully vague enough and answerable) questions-

1- Approximately how long (time wise) will the boat ride be? Just a ballpark figure would be great.
2- What will the thrill level be? Flat and slow like IASW/Land/Mexico, or with drop(s) like POTC or higher?
3- What would be the ACTUAL realistic "ticket" (A, B, C, D or E ticket) ranking in terms of scale/quality?
4- Approximately what percent of the ride uses physical sets and AA's? Versus how much is video I mean.

In regards to question 3, I realize leaked blueprints labeled the boat ride as a C ticket, but i'm asking again because plans can change in three years. I hope it's better than a C ticket. 7DMT and even Mermaid were both reportedly classified as D tickets internally. The prospect of a possibly lesser attraction than Mermaid isn't a comforting thought. Especially given that it will be only one of two potentially good rides (not counting the carnival spinner nonsense) in the park without a height limit (or for people who are averse to thrills). So I want the ride to be good.

Any other information we haven't heard yet would be welcome as well if you guys can provide it, but those four questions are my main points of concern at the moment.
From what I have been told, and take this with a grain of salt, the boat ride will include at least one drop. The structure also adds credence because it appears to be on two separate levels.

MerlinTheGoat

From what I have been told, and take this with a grain of salt, the boat ride will include at least one drop. The structure also adds credence because it appears to be on two separate levels.
Interesting, thanks. But isn't it a bit of a stretch to assume the structure's second level would be for the boat ride? Or is this regarding an additional building entirely separate from the simulator's that I missed?

From the leaked blueprints from a few years ago, the plan was apparently (from what I could tell) to include a single show building that would house both the entirety of the simulator (which appeared to be extremely similar to Soarin) as well as part of the boat ride (which would have both inside and outside portions). The blueprints did indeed state that there were two levels, but the boat ride only travels through a small part of the base level. It does not appear on the second level at all in the plans. The height of the simulator ride appears to be what occupies the bulk of this showbuilding (and the entirety of the second level).

I do realize the blueprints are old and things may have (and probably did) change at least to a certain extent. And I don't wish to sound like I disbelieve you or anything. But could you show me where people are seeing an extra level specifically for the boat ride? Something that contradicts the blueprints. If it was discussed here, I either I missed it or forgot about it.

twebber55

Interesting, thanks. But isn't it a bit of a stretch to assume the structure's second level would be for the boat ride? Or is this regarding an additional building entirely separate from the simulator's that I missed?

From the leaked blueprints from a few years ago, the plan was apparently (from what I could tell) to include a single show building that would house both the entirety of the simulator (which appeared to be extremely similar to Soarin) as well as part of the boat ride (which would have both inside and outside portions). The blueprints did indeed state that there were two levels, but the boat ride only travels through a small part of the base level. It does not appear on the second level at all in the plans. The height of the simulator ride appears to be what occupies the bulk of this showbuilding (and the entirety of the second level).

I do realize the blueprints are old and things may have (and probably did) change at least to a certain extent. And I don't wish to sound like I disbelieve you or anything. But could you show me where people are seeing an extra level specifically for the boat ride? Something that contradicts the blueprints. If it was discussed here, I either I missed it or forgot about it.
Look at last ariels

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I have mentioned this before, but I believe that the boat ride shown in the leaked blueprints was never intended to be an accurate representation of the ride. The plans focused on the Soarin ride, which is being built exactly as the plans show, but I think the boat ride in the plans was just to show that there would be a boat ride there. I am also not convinced that the boat ride will have a drop. It's really hard to tell at this point exactly what the layout will be.

Tom

Beta Return
I have mentioned this before, but I believe that the boat ride shown in the leaked blueprints was never intended to be an accurate representation of the ride. The plans focused on the Soarin ride, which is being built exactly as the plans show, but I think the boat ride in the plans was just to show that there would be a boat ride there. I am also not convinced that the boat ride will have a drop. It's really hard to tell at this point exactly what the layout will be.

I agree 100%

MerlinTheGoat

I'll have a look at a recent aerial, when I find one anyways, it has been quite some time since I checked any Avatar threads so i'm pretty behind. Not sure what i'll be looking for once I find one however. The last overheads I saw some months ago seemed to line up well with the leaked blueprints. It's just that the blueprints didn't show the outside portions of the boat ride, it only had the part that went inside the first level of the simulator show building.

One post from Martin a month ago still has him referring to the "possible" boat ride as a C ticket.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/avatar-land-construction-progress.877041/page-77#post-6688518

I'm also assuming that the "third ride" rumored turned out to be untrue as 74 suspected.

EDIT: Is this photo the latest aerial shot?-
full

If so, what should I be looking for?

Last edited:

doctornick

I'm also assuming that the "third ride" rumored turned out to be untrue as 74 suspected.

WDW1974 said he heard about a "third attraction" (emphasis mine) but didn't specifically say a ride. I haven't seen anyone confirm or dispute that claim, so it's still up in the air.

I suspect he's right about a third attraction, but that it's something like a walking trail not another ride.

Tom

Beta Return
I'll have a look at a recent aerial, when I find one anyways, it has been quite some time since I checked any Avatar threads so i'm pretty behind. Not sure what i'll be looking for once I find one however. The last overheads I saw some months ago seemed to line up well with the leaked blueprints. It's just that the blueprints didn't show the outside portions of the boat ride, it only had the part that went inside the first level of the simulator show building.

One post from Martin a month ago still has him referring to the "possible" boat ride as a C ticket.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/avatar-land-construction-progress.877041/page-77#post-6688518

full

If there's a third attraction, I don't predict it will be a ride.

And the boat ride was specifically referred to as a "C-ticket" in the original plans. Anything can change, but that's what Disney was calling it a couple years ago.

doctornick

Hopefully something like Pirates - length wise.

I'd be happy if it is longer than 8 minutes or so. That's about where things go from being an average ride to a more immersive experience IMHO. It is somehow manages to be in the 12-15 minute range, I'd be ecstatic (and very surprised).

I'm also hoping we might see some new tech like the boats that are being used in Pirates out in Shanghai that supposedly can be "pointed" in different directions like an Omnimover. And there was the info that very sophisticated AAs are being developed for Pandora and the boat ride would seem like the logical place for them.

As an aside, if you look at that link above, there's this comment by Cameron:

There will be several rides and a number of other attractions.

Last edited:

Figment2005

full

I do not believe that to be the latest. If I remember correctly, the most recent picture has a half wall between the simulator and boat ride with an opening at the top. Like the ride enters and drops down to the lower level.

RayTheFirefly

Also keep in mind that Joe Rohde himself indicated in a recent interview that there was going to be something related to the use of the magic bands in some area of Pandora, but that it was going to be in some very 'intimate' way (his words). I have no idea what this could even mean, but obviously not a ride.
I'm willing to bet that the Magic Bands will function as your "neural cord thingy" somewhere. Possibly to interact with that "Tree of Souls" or something.

doctornick

I say you can expect 4 attractions in this land...per speculation....two rides...an interactive show ie. Tri Encounter and a street show of some sort...

I think something like that would be plausible. I strongly suspect we'll see some sort of "walking trail" with the light up path that has been depicted in Disney press releases -- there could easily be some animal encounters as part of that.

As for a show, there was the words "drum" & "puppets" listed as a header on one of the boards in the background of video. So that might indicate some sort of show.

El Grupo

Also keep in mind that Joe Rohde himself indicated in a recent interview that there was going to be something related to the use of the magic bands in some area of Pandora, but that it was going to be in some very 'intimate' way (his words). I have no idea what this could even mean, but obviously not a ride.

Almost sounds like Disney may have found a special way to quickly make back that investment in MM+ with some new interactive features. ;)

IWant2GoNow

Unfortunately not. The wife no longer has a M-F schedule so popping into the parks for a quick weekend here and there have gone the way of the Dinosaur. We are going to have to switch to going to the parks during vacation like *gasp* a tourist.:cry::cry::cry:

That's all I could hear in my head after you said that.

I was so disappointed that I couldn't go this year because I saw Frank Oz was going to be one of the guests. I hope to one day still be able to get his autograph. I've got a Yoda Mighty Mugg that needs his name on it!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

That's all I could hear in my head after you said that.

I was so disappointed that I couldn't go this year because I saw Frank Oz was going to be one of the guests. I hope to one day still be able to get his autograph. I've got a Yoda Mighty Mugg that needs his name on it!

If it makes you feel any better, it is my understanding that he did not sign autographs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom