AVATAR land construction progress

Siren

The mountains aren't going to fall, no worries. Gusting winds in Orlando right now are only 30-35 mph. They're just getting a good soaking,
Hi @PB Watermelon! Thanks so much for the great news. I'm totally relieved. I had a very strong feeling that everything would be okay, especially after seeing how the storm hit The Bahamas, but you never know. It's good that Disney is so far inland.

I think Disney will need at least two weeks to dry out and recuperate and stuff like that. Hopefully, construction will resume again by November.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Hi @PB Watermelon! Thanks so much for the great news. I'm totally relieved. I had a very strong feeling that everything would be okay, especially after seeing how the storm hit The Bahamas, but you never know. It's good that Disney is so far inland.

I think Disney will need at least two weeks to dry out and recuperate and stuff like that. Hopefully, construction will resume again by November.

Construction will probably resume by Monday.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Have they done any other work for Disney? They don't have a website but they have s Facebook page that says they do theme park and museum work.

Yes they have, but I don't recall off the top of my head the things they have worked on.
Back to the small little company Icarus Exhibits. They do work for all themed entertainment in Orlando. They did the hot dog cart work in Simpsons at UNI and were recognized as part of the TEA awards for that area. (Trevor MacLaine, Icarus Exhibits, Inc., Hot Dog Cart Renovations) Trevor is the President of this company. Their estimated revenues are around $900,000 and are members of IAAPA and other professional organizations for theme park. They build durable set pieces and other parts for theme parks.

*1023*

No Name

If Hurricane Matthew does any damage, I hope that the awkward twig or vine or whatever it is coming down from the bottom-center of the highest floating mountain breaks. And is not fixed.

Here's a visual. See the twigvine?

image.jpeg

BrianLo

I didn't process the fact til just now, but we all missed the 5 year anniversary of the announcement on Sept 20th. It weirdly doesn't seem that long ago now...

Tom (more or less) set the correct timeline 5 years ago: "We’ve just begun the design phase on our Animal Kingdom project and we expect to begin construction in 2013. From start to finish, a project of this size and scope takes about 5 years to design and build. We can’t give you an exact date but we know that when it’s complete, it’s going to be a truly unforgettable experience."

Our first concept art didn't come until 3 years ago as of this coming Wednesday...

HauntedMansionFLA

image.jpg
I didn't process the fact til just now, but we all missed the 5 year anniversary of the announcement on Sept 20th. It weirdly doesn't seem that long ago now...

Tom (more or less) set the correct timeline 5 years ago: "We’ve just begun the design phase on our Animal Kingdom project and we expect to begin construction in 2013. From start to finish, a project of this size and scope takes about 5 years to design and build. We can’t give you an exact date but we know that when it’s complete, it’s going to be a truly unforgettable experience."

Our first concept art didn't come until 3 years ago as of this coming Wednesday...
We passed the three year anniversary for Star Wars Land alittle while back when Disney announced it at the D23 with the name a Orange Harvest. We are looking at another project trying six to seven years from announcement to finished product.

DinoInstitute

I celebrated in another thread but nobody came to the party :p :D
Kind of weird to think about, but happy 5 year anniversary of when this whole Avatar saga started :p

No Name

What's wrong with that? I think it looks fine and is thematically accurate.

0402a03fig4.jpg

But they look good in that picture becuase, for the most part, there are a lot of them together. The twigvines come down in bunches, and narrow as they get further away. To me, it gives the appearance that, while the vines are being pulled down, the mountains are resisting gravity and therefore floating.

In the land at DAK, the vine is thicker than any other and away from the rest of the group. I just find it odd for there to be a large bunch of generally short vines, and then all alone, off to the side, a really long and thick one. It doesn't work for me.

It works for you, and that's good. I'm not trying to convince you that it looks bad, I just wanted to give my quick reasoning. We've also yet to see the full land, much less in person, so perhaps I'll change my mind. Perhaps it looks better from another angle. Hey, perhaps I just don't like Pandora.

I thought that was hiding a support...

I'm not sure. No vine or support was there until they started adding details to the larger mountain below it, so if it were a support, I think we would've seen it when they put up that mountain originally. I also believe that mountain was built, painted, and detailed somewhere else, and then placed there. I'm no expert on construction though.

View attachment 167799
We passed the three year anniversary for Star Wars Land alittle while back when Disney announced it at the D23 with the name a Orange Harvest. We are looking at another project trying six to seven years from announcement to finished product.

I'd hardly consider that an announcement. That was nothing more than a tease, and in fact, a tease for a Star Wars Land concept that got trashed. SWL was almost completely redesigned over the following two years, and then they made an actual announcement at D23 2015.

I'm going to consider August 2015 the announcement date.

Last edited:

gmajew

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom