AVATAR land construction progress

MerlinTheGoat

I have no idea what you're talking about. :)
mpjtogi.gif~c200

Atomicmickey

I have no idea what you're talking about. :)

Here's what I don't like about that idea. My visit to Carsland earlier this year was amazing. It is certainly one of
the best themed environments anywhere, period. Spectacular, five stars, all that.

That said--I'd rather the money go to a different spectacular, best themed environment at WDW, rather than
replicate it. I know not everyone can make it to both coasts, but I stand by that. Carsland exists, and if you're
motivated, you can go. It's not even a 'more exotic' destination like Tokyo or Hong Kong if you're stateside.

Consider this as well--whatever they'd build, would it be the same level? Tower of Terror at DCA is not as
good as the WDW version. I don't think they'd 'go for it' and make the same thing or better at WDW.

So. I'd really rather get excited about something new that we haven't seen before, something unique to WDW.

And if you haven't been to Carsland at DCA, GO. Don't think twice.

HauntedMansionFLA

More reports from whom? I'd trust @articos more than virtually anyone and he relatively recently said the project was moving along as expected.

Theme Park Tourist

2. Pandora: The World of Avatar is behind schedule…again

Image © Disney

Though work is well underway on the Avatar project at Disney’s Animal Kingdom, rumors have surfaced that this project (which was announced in 2011) has been hit by even more delays, and is both behind schedule and over budget. While sources disagree with exactly how much this project is behind schedule, it looks like it may be late 2017 or early 2018 before this area finally opens.

Yet another delay is certainly bad news for this project, which has already seen its fair share of false starts and stops. Still, a few months isn’t too long of a delay, and we’d expect that Disney will adjust its opening window timetables accordingly if these delays are indeed significant.

Image © Disney

Confidence level: 60% The lack of official updates regarding this project make it hard to have tons of confidence in this rumor, but then again, the absence of concrete information could be a result of these purported delays as well.

jt04

Here's what I don't like about that idea. My visit to Carsland earlier this year was amazing. It is certainly one of
the best themed environments anywhere, period. Spectacular, five stars, all that.

That said--I'd rather the money go to a different spectacular, best themed environment at WDW, rather than
replicate it. I know not everyone can make it to both coasts, but I stand by that. Carsland exists, and if you're
motivated, you can go. It's not even a 'more exotic' destination like Tokyo or Hong Kong if you're stateside.

Consider this as well--whatever they'd build, would it be the same level? Tower of Terror at DCA is not as
good as the WDW version. I don't think they'd 'go for it' and make the same thing or better at WDW.

So. I'd really rather get excited about something new that we haven't seen before, something unique to WDW.

And if you haven't been to Carsland at DCA, GO. Don't think twice.

Well said! Put the money in Pixar projects that have yet to Imagineered and even better STAR WARS land. Thank you.

Bolt

Theme Park Tourist

Image © Disney

Though work is well underway on the Avatar project at Disney’s Animal Kingdom, rumors have surfaced that this project (which was announced in 2011) has been hit by even more delays, and is both behind schedule and over budget. While sources disagree with exactly how much this project is behind schedule, it looks like it may be late 2017 or early 2018 before this area finally opens.

Yet another delay is certainly bad news for this project, which has already seen its fair share of false starts and stops. Still, a few months isn’t too long of a delay, and we’d expect that Disney will adjust its opening window timetables accordingly if these delays are indeed significant.

Image © Disney

Confidence level: 60% The lack of official updates regarding this project make it hard to have tons of confidence in this rumor, but then again, the absence of concrete information could be a result of these purported delays as well.
His justification is the lack of updates...

flyerjab

Theme Park Tourist

Image © Disney

Image © Disney

I have looked back over some posts and have listened to some of Jim's podcast information about this. When he continually states that the Avatar project is 8 months behind schedule, I believe that he is referring to the initial push in the project schedule. Way back when this was first announced and everyone in the Disneysphere was like Disney is doing what? - I believe that it was first stated that the land would open in 2016. After that initial proclamation, I don't think that the actual project was fully agreed upon nor was there an end-to-end project plan in place. I think that once everything was finalized, everyone realized that at Disney's demonstrated construction pace, the original date of sometime in 2016 was not achievable. It was then made public that this expansion would open in 2017. So yes, there was definitely a delay in the project, but I feel like a lot of the handling of this partnership with Cameron from the beginning was rushed and botched a bit.

TyTrap

This is a very ambition project and I wouldn't be surprised if the opening date was pushed back to late 2017 early 2018 because of the technical complexities that are involved. Cameron and Disney's rocky working relationship in the beginning stages was probably for the best because as guests we would want the best experience just like James wants his franchise to be represented as he sees fit.

ToTBellHop

Theme Park Tourist

Image © Disney

Image © Disney

This rubbish should be burned.

ToTBellHop

I suppose it's better for a fan site to guess a delay than an early open.
Indeed. Granted, anything in 2017 wouldn't be a delay as that is all that has been announced (after being delayed from 2015 in Bob Iger's original 2011 announcement). There is nothing to suggest that some of us won't be inside AVATAR land by 12/31/17.

Other than that, why rush? Let's get this thing done right. We've seen what happens when Disney rushes. Once they are done working, we are stuck with what they've built.

Alektronic

Behind? Over budget? Late opening? So basically, the Disney way.

You forgot numerous changes and then we will make more changes, now we are over budget, so let's make more changes to save money. So what can we cut or minimize to get the same basic effect but for cheaper?

TyTrap

You forgot numerous changes and then we will make more changes, now we are over budget, so let's make more changes to save money. So what can we cut or minimize to get the same basic effect but for cheaper?
It's annoying how Disney has these new animatronics that have projected faces so they save money. I hope we don't get that for avatar land. I know they are using that type of animatronic for the Frozen ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom