AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

wdwfan4ver

Did anybody else notice how the timeline increased from 2016 opening to 2017 opening? Also, If you guys don't remember, there's a reason Disney hasn't started building AL yet. When they announced it, if I remember correctly, please correct me if I'm wrong, but they said they won't start building until the sequel of Avatar comes out in 2015?
You didn't mention the real reason Disney didn't start to build Avatarland yet. Disney is waiting for Festival of the Lion King being moved to a new area with it being in Africa.

A new theater new Festival of the Lion King is currently being built in Africa so the show could move out of its current location. Disney already said the new theater is going to be done in 2014 and that means the Avatarland construction will happen once the Festival of the Lion King move is completed.

Proof of a new home for the Lion King: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...l-of-the-lion-king-at-disneys-animal-kingdom/

SirLink

Valid point, and don't get me wrong, is much rater have beastly kingdom than avatar, but even with the fact that they explain things of our world, I don't get where you guys get the earth thing from. Why can't DAK partially represent our fascination with living worlds outside our own and what wildlife may inhabit those areas. In fact, there's even a study of such life called astrobiology which studies life on this earth as well as the possibility of extraterrestrial life forms.

Well they don't say alien in the dialog if the dedication plus Joe R mentioned it at the 15th Anniversary talk at Animal Kingdom that it was about all about Earth's ecosystems living in harmony from before mankind, using mankind to explain the unexplained, and real ecosystems today.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
You didn't mention the real reason Disney didn't start to build Avatarland yet. Disney is waiting for Festival of the Lion King being moved to a new area with it being in Africa.

A new theater new Festival of the Lion King is currently being built in Africa so the show could move out of its current location. Disney already said the new theater is going to be done in 2014 and that means the Avatarland construction will happen once the Festival of the Lion King move is completed.

Proof of a new home for the Lion King: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...l-of-the-lion-king-at-disneys-animal-kingdom/

But if they had wanted to start building Avatarland in 2013 as originally planned, they could have started the move of FotLK earlier.

Suspirian

Well they don't say alien in the dialog if the dedication plus Joe R mentioned it at the 15th Anniversary talk at Animal Kingdom that it was about all about Earth's ecosystems living in harmony from before mankind, using mankind to explain the unexplained, and real ecosystems today.
Well neither do they mention earth, just general harmony with animals. As far as the Joe R thing, did you mean the 10th or the 15 because I cant find the one from the 15th and I'm getting a couple pages saying he wasn't there. I did find this one though and I didn't hear that. Might've missed it though, I'm watching fright night lol

CDavid

No, when it was announced they said construction would start in 2013:

"We’ve just begun the design phase on our Animal Kingdom project and we expect to begin construction in 2013" (http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/avatar.htm)

I doubt they will wait for the next movie to start construction, they will probably start next year.

They're not going to wait for the next movie to be released, but given the pace at which Disney builds new attractions (FLE), I'm not sure how much more than site prep is likely to be done by 2015 anyway. I am curious what Disney's response would be should the next movie flop for any reason (not that it will), especially given the already lukewarm (at best) public reaction to Avatarland. Again like FLE plans can change in mid stream; Any hints of a plan B here?

Is the Avatar sequel still on track for a 2015 release anyway?

lazyboy97o

Yes, just the other day I had to chase some unicorn and dragons from my backyard. We are going to great length to defend our cynicism.
Is that why you're the one tossing out unrelated examples? The relationship between man and mythical creatures is clearly on display at Expedition Everest.

fractal

Is that why you're the one tossing out unrelated examples? The relationship between man and mythical creatures is clearly on display at Expedition Everest.

Of course it is, which is why I don't get all the hate for Avatar. It's not my favorite movie but I'm looking forward to experiencing it as a land at a Disney Park. If you try hard enough, one can find reasons to complain about just about anything.

lazyboy97o

Of course it is, which is why I don't get all the hate for Avatar. It's not my favorite movie but I'm looking forward to experiencing it as a land at a Disney Park. If you try hard enough, one can find reasons to complain about just about anything.
Of course what is? There is nothing esoteric about Disney's Animal Kingdom have a clear focus on this world.

SirLink

Because TLM determines who all future rides will feel. Well, I guess they should give up building anything new now.

Well yeah - I believe Disney has lost their ability to execute and create great rides. Or use someone another company and give them WDI's budget for this project.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
They're not going to wait for the next movie to be released, but given the pace at which Disney builds new attractions (FLE), I'm not sure how much more than site prep is likely to be done by 2015 anyway. I am curious what Disney's response would be should the next movie flop for any reason (not that it will), especially given the already lukewarm (at best) public reaction to Avatarland. Again like FLE plans can change in mid stream; Any hints of a plan B here?

Is the Avatar sequel still on track for a 2015 release anyway?

IMDB lists the opening date of Avatar 2 as "December 2016". Given Cameron's track record it would not be surprising if that date slipped even further, so Avatarland could actually open before the next movie is even released. Based on the box office success of the first one, it's very likely that the second one will also do very well at the box office, the question is how well 3 and 4 do.

Atomicmickey

Does anyone really think that Disney is going to have anything
other than a "circle of life" conservation message here? That it
will be anything more intense than is in the rest of the park?

Magenta Panther

Yes, just the other day I had to chase some unicorn and dragons from my backyard. We are going to great length to defend our cynicism.

The general public is much more aware of unicorns and dragons than of Cameron's slapped-together beasties. They are icons, and tons of literature, music, art, theater and film have included them. They are immortal. There is nothing in Avatar that will have anything like that staying power. Dr. Seuss' critters will be remembered longer than those silly Na'vis (ooh, a pun on their skin color. Wasn't that clever? Almost as clever as "unobtainium"). This project was a knee-jerk reaction to Potter, seized on by a cement-headed bean-counting CEO who has no understanding or appreciation of the legacy of the company he's running (ruining). He obviously didn't believe that a new land based on a Disney-generated property would be good enough - he had to look outside the company. What a dope.

fractal

The general public is much more aware of unicorns and dragons than of Cameron's slapped-together beasties. They are icons, and tons of literature, music, art, theater and film have included them. They are immortal. There is nothing in Avatar that will have anything like that staying power. Dr. Seuss' critters will be remembered longer than those silly Na'vis (ooh, a pun on their skin color. Wasn't that clever? Almost as clever as "unobtainium"). This project was a knee-jerk reaction to Potter, seized on by a cement-headed bean-counting CEO who has no understanding or appreciation of the legacy of the company he's running (ruining). He obviously didn't believe that a new land based on a Disney-generated property would be good enough - he had to look outside the company. What a dope.

Maybe they should have picked a Disney created mythical beast to prevent all this angst. Like, hmmmm how about Stitch. Stitchland at AK - at least then poor Walt wouldn't roll over in his grave as many here feel he is. o_O

When they build it I'm betting it will be spectacular and a big hit - much to the chagrin of all the doom and gloomer who can no longer say it will never happen and there is no real concept work. Now that they were proven wrong, they have to focus on something else.

So what if the general public is "more aware" of unicorns. Maybe visiting an entirely new world, not knowing what to expect, would be inviting. To me it's taking the very best ( the canvas and creatures of the movie ) from the film. I didn't like the story of Avatar, wasn't impressed with the acting, but man did I love that planet and the creatures.

Last edited:

Atomicmickey

Looking at the Avatar concept art, and how fanciful it all is . . .

hypothetical question, what if Disney had lavished this much attention and detail to:

-Burton's Alice in Wonderland
-Raimi's Return to Oz
-A 'Tim Burton land" designed and influenced by him and all his films with their distinctive aesthetic.

If you squint at the Avatar renderings you could almost swap in any
of those properties and they would work.

However, none of those have any relation to conservation. Which, despite everyone
going on and on about the other themes of the film, is a central part of the Avatar story . ..

Just stirrin' the pot. . . :)

ABQ

Does anyone really think that Disney is going to have anything
other than a "circle of life" conservation message here? That it
will be anything more intense than is in the rest of the park?
I expect plenty of that, but then whether it be animal protection or land use protection, it's very much been a part of the AK from the get go, so it's not an out of place thing. And if I can ignore the preaching, as I'm not a fan of being lectured, I can find a way to enjoy the new land. I'm sure most people can.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom