AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Mike S

Well, the opposite of all three, and especially the fact that I love the competitiveness of the ride.

About the warehouse feel you claim it has... I'm different than some here. See, I didn't ride Little Mermaid in MK and think "ooh cool, this ride is pretty nice so far... now let me look at the ceiling to make sure there's no lighting stuff visible." No. I just naturally looked at the show scenes like any normal rider would, I didn't make an effort to look somewhere else. This is the same for TSMM. I don't actively look for faults in rides, and going in like a normal guest, I just enjoyed the ride and enjoyed my day. If faults are noticeable, I will see them, but nothing at all about TSMM stood out to me as having a warehouse feeling or stunning lack of detail.

Personally, I think the queue is very detailed and nice to look at. The tent part overlooking the ride is also nice. The Mr. Potato head animatronic tops it off very well. I like how the ride, or at least the queue, acts as a sequel to Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, with Mr. Potato Head at the front rather than Buzz.

I never thought of it as a "Wii game on wheels," and even after hearing that, I can't see it that way. The ride is one of my favorites in WDW. I genuinely enjoy it. Everyone I've been with genuinely enjoys it and it is what we strive to do as many times as possible each trip to DHS.

That was quite off topic, but my whole point is that something you like may be something I don't get as much out of, and vice versa. For Flight of Passage, in particular, people will likely have a range of reactions and ticket-letters they would give it. And the great part is that nobody can have a wrong opinion.
I don't actively look for faults either but in the case of the Little Mermaid the scenes almost purposely draw your eyes to them. Going into "Under the Sea" there's fish hanging from the ceiling and Sebastian on a high perch drawing your eyes upward to the exposed rigs. A long time ago someone on this forum said this scene would've been much better if it was done like the ballroom in Haunted Mansion. Sunk down below you and drawing your view downward. Then of course the entrance to Ursala's lair where absolutely no attempt was made to hide the walls surrounding you and closing you in.

Disneyhead'71

I don't actively look for faults either but in the case of the Little Mermaid the scenes almost purposely draw your eyes to them. Going into "Under the Sea" there's fish hanging from the ceiling and Sebastian on a high perch drawing your eyes upward to the exposed rigs. A long time ago someone on this forum said this scene would've been much better if it was done like the ballroom in Haunted Mansion. Sunk down below you and drawing your view downward. Then of course the entrance to Ursala's lair where absolutely no attempt was made to hide the walls surrounding you and closing you in.
Yes, it is a basic concept called "visual targeting". The way Little Mermaid was executed. Things like the Ariel AA that used to have the DQ swirl hair, to look at her face you have to look up. Her face is framed by light rigs and air conditioning ducts. If the scene was lower than the RVs then her face would be framed by themed rock work and coral. This is Dark Ride 101 kind of mistakes. Clearly Imagineering's A-Team didn't design this ride.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

Well, the opposite of all three, and especially the fact that I love the competitiveness of the ride.

About the warehouse feel you claim it has... I'm different than some here. See, I didn't ride Little Mermaid in MK and think "ooh cool, this ride is pretty nice so far... now let me look at the ceiling to make sure there's no lighting stuff visible." No. I just naturally looked at the show scenes like any normal rider would, I didn't make an effort to look somewhere else. This is the same for TSMM. I don't actively look for faults in rides, and going in like a normal guest, I just enjoyed the ride and enjoyed my day. If faults are noticeable, I will see them, but nothing at all about TSMM stood out to me as having a warehouse feeling or stunning lack of detail.

Personally, I think the queue is very detailed and nice to look at. The tent part overlooking the ride is also nice. The Mr. Potato head animatronic tops it off very well. I like how the ride, or at least the queue, acts as a sequel to Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, with Mr. Potato Head at the front rather than Buzz.

I never thought of it as a "Wii game on wheels," and even after hearing that, I can't see it that way. The ride is one of my favorites in WDW. I genuinely enjoy it. Everyone I've been with genuinely enjoys it and it is what we strive to do as many times as possible each trip to DHS.

That was quite off topic, but my whole point is that something you like may be something I don't get as much out of, and vice versa. For Flight of Passage, in particular, people will likely have a range of reactions and ticket-letters they would give it. And the great part is that nobody can have a wrong opinion.
I'm sorry, but this sounds like:

"I LOVE 5 Guys. It is my favorite restaurant. To me it is a 5 Star restaurant. And if you don't agree with me you are just looking for reasons to hate on 5 Guys. And since it is all opinion, you can't say I'm wrong".

Umm, 5 Guys is not a 5 Star restaurant.

JohnWD

Just to show how different Disney fans can be, I love the Little Mermaid, and I don't see those faults. In WDW FL, that is my favorite ride. At DL, its Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

No Name

I'm sorry, but this sounds like:

"I LOVE 5 Guys. It is my favorite restaurant. To me it is a 5 Star restaurant. And if you don't agree with me you are just looking for reasons to hate on 5 Guys. And since it is all opinion, you can't say I'm wrong".

Umm, 5 Guys is not a 5 Star restaurant.
Five Guys is not a 5-star restaurant, in the way that term is commonly used, because it fails to meet "fanciness" qualifications. It has no servers, silverware on the table, fancy tables, fancy napkins, etc. Even though I love Five Guys and would rank it among the top burger places, and they serve very good food, it does not meet the qualifications to be considered a 5-star restaurant. It may be a 5-star burger place, but it's not a 5-star restaurant. If I claimed it was so, people would rightly question my judgement.

An E-ticket doesn't have these kind of qualifications. My definition of an E-ticket is purely based on how great a ride is. Back in the day it was based on popularity. Either way, there are no qualifications like waiters and waitresses or white tablecloths that would prevent me from calling it an E-ticket, and if there are, TSMM likely passes them all. This is just my opinion on how great I believe the ride is. And you may highly disagree, but neither of us are wrong at all.

If I called the Astro Orbiters an E-ticket, that would be different, as a spinner is clearly not a top-quality ride. As for TSMM, I really can't see why my opinion is so crazy to so many. I see no way that Toy Story Midway Mania clearly falls below Star Tours or Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, in theming or ride quality. Also, how about you ask the average guest in DHS what their favorite ride in the park is. I bet more than a third would easily say TSMM, maybe even half or more. But that doesn't matter, even if my opinion was truly in the minority, it is my own and it's not "wrong."

What thread is this? Oh, Avatar. As I said before, it will be interesting to hear peoples' opinions of Avatar's rides.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

Five Guys is not a 5-star restaurant, in the way that term is commonly used, because it fails to meet "fanciness" qualifications. It has no servers, silverware on the table, fancy tables, fancy napkins, etc. Even though I love Five Guys and would rank it among the top burger places, and they serve very good food, it does not meet the qualifications to be considered a 5-star restaurant. It may be a 5-star burger place, but it's not a 5-star restaurant. If I claimed it was so, people would rightly question my judgement.

An E-ticket doesn't have these kind of qualifications. My definition of an E-ticket is purely based on how great a ride is. Back in the day it was based on popularity. Either way, there are no qualifications like waiters and waitresses or white tablecloths that would prevent me from calling it an E-ticket, and if there are, TSMM likely passes them all. This is just my opinion on how great I believe the ride is. And you may highly disagree, but neither of us are wrong at all.

If I called the Astro Orbiters an E-ticket, that would be different, as a spinner is clearly not a top-quality ride. As for TSMM, I really can't see why my opinion is so crazy to so many. I see no way that Toy Story Midway Mania clearly falls below Star Tours or Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, in theming or ride quality. Also, how about you ask the average guest in DHS what their favorite ride in the park is. I bet more than a third would easily say TSMM, maybe even half or more. But that doesn't matter, even if my opinion was truly in the minority, it is my own and it's not "wrong."

What thread is this? Oh, Avatar. As I said before, it will be interesting to hear peoples' opinions of Avatar's rides.
The term E Ticket actually does have a meaning and it isn't "I like it!".

Disneyhead'71

I'm not looking forward to this argument, but since you are egging me on... tell me what the meaning is.
A large scale and scope state of the art attraction. Tower of Terror is an E Ticket. Splash, PotC, Gringott's, and Forbidden Journey are E Tickets. 7DMT, Minion Mayhem, and TSMM are not.

Big and impressive= E-Ticket
Cute and Fun? Probably not.

Sally Ride, upon returning from space on the Space Shuttle said, "That was definitely an E Ticket".

Last edited:

No Name

A large scale and scope state of the art attraction. Tower of Terror is an E Ticket. Splash, PotC, Gringott's, and Forbidden Journey are E Tickets. 7DMT, Minion Mayhem, and TSMM are not.
And that is precisely the problem, you have such a narrow definition of what an E-ticket is. I judge rides based on the ultimate factor, how much I like them.

You are trying to pass your opinion of what an E-ticket is, and which rides are E-tickets, as a fact. It is not. But I am not going to continue to defend why my own opinion is not "wrong" because that is dumb and a waste of my time.

Disneyhead'71

And that is precisely the problem, you have such a narrow definition of what an E-ticket is. I judge rides based on the ultimate factor, how much I like them.

You are trying to pass your opinion of what an E-ticket is, and which rides are E-tickets, as a fact. It is not. But I am not going to continue to defend why my own opinion is not "wrong" because that is dumb and a waste of my time.
The term E Ticket actually has a meaning and that meaning has nothing to do with how much someone likes the attraction.

I loathe the GMR. It is an E Ticket. I really like Roger Rabbit's CarToon Spin. It's not an E Ticket.

Last edited:

Mike S

The term E Ticket actually has a meaning and that meaning has nothing to do with how much someone likes the attraction.

I loathe the GMR. It is an E Ticket. I really like Roger Rabbit's CarToon Spin. It's not an E Ticket.
Even people who aren't into Disney as much as us can tell. My father who hasn't been to Disney in six years joined us for a day at DHS/Epcot last trip. One thing that surprised me was when he started giving high praise to the detail of one of the attractions we were in line for. He knew what the top quality was. That attraction was The Twilight Zone: Tower of Terror.

Last edited:

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Here is the definition of E-Ticket: Demand for the ride was high enough at the time so someone would pay the highest price for going on the ride. You where willing to pay more to ride that ride then the next one which would then be a D-Ticket Ride. This continued all the way down from D to C to B to A. It was all based on demand for that ride at the time.

space42

Here is the definition of E-Ticket: Demand for the ride was high enough at the time so someone would pay the highest price for going on the ride. You where willing to pay more to ride that ride then the next one which would then be a D-Ticket Ride. This continued all the way down from D to C to B to A. It was all based on demand for that ride at the time.

If that were the only qualification , how do you explain Peter Pan and dumbo being a C tickets?

It's a measurement of scale , scope , and quality. Hence they usually are the attractions with the most demand.

Texas84

Anyone who ever had to actually buy these tickets knows this is correct. But it has probably been adapted by today's fans to mean something else.

Disneyhead'71

Not true. While Disney did, to a degree, use the ticket books to spread the crowd, the key factor to something being an E Ticket was how much it cost to build and maintain. And that is usually tied to scope and technology. Big high tech rides are expensive. It also plays out that because E Tickets are big high tech rides, they tend to be very popular.

E Tickets, quite simply, are the biggest, baddest, bestest the industry has to offer.

Cesar R M

If that were the only qualification , how do you explain Peter Pan and dumbo being a C tickets?

It's a measurement of scale , scope , and quality. Hence they usually are the attractions with the most demand.
Yeah, but these attractions you mentioned are very well known to have mediocre or very low capacity.

space42

Yeah, but these attractions you mentioned are very well known to have mediocre or very low capacity.
Oh. I know - I am just refuting the claim that E-Ticket ride = ride with the most demand.

E-ticket attractions were simply the best of the best. Largest in scale , scope, quality , and budget. They just also happen to be the attractions with the most demand. Imagine that , great attractions have high demand. :) As well as lesser attractions with lesser capacity also have high demand. These attractions were not designated e-ticket based on that demand.

Point being , demand alone is not what designated the e-ticket status. That is why I used Dumbo and Peter Pan. Two of the most demanded rides in the magic kingdom but are c tickets.

For sake of discussion - compare these popular attentions...
I think most people can tell the difference in scale between Peter Pan and Haunted Mansion, dumbo and pirates , or people mover and splash mountain.
That same difference can be seen between TSMM and Tower of Terror , Soarin and Spaceship Earth , or primeval whirl and Everest.
All very popular attractions with vastly different levels of scale , scope, and budget. With the former being c/d level and the later being e-ticket.

Last edited:

rioriz

For Christ sakes there is one definition of E ticket and in it you both are right.

"The phrase E ticket (or E ticket ride) refers to the admission ticket system used at the Disneyland and Magic Kingdom theme parks before 1982, where the E ticket (officially termed "Ecoupon") admitted the bearer to the newest, most advanced, and/or most popular rides and attractions.

Pay attention to the "and/or" part.
That said Midway Mania and SDMT and any ride that garners over an average of 60 min wait year round is an E. We throw around D and C with arrogance that we the online community is the be all and end to the conversation, but we are not. The market drives what gets a ride to propose E ticket status. When the popularity of the ride declines so does the proposed ticket attached to it, for example E.T in Universal.

Now please take your toys and endless debate to PM to clear bandwidth for actual thread related discussion :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom