AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

HauntedMansionFLA

'Sleeper hit'? Do you even know what means? Its been talked about since 2011! It cannot be classified as a 'sleeper'. Especially once its close to opening and the hype train leaves the station full steam.
If you have followed these boards for awhile, there has been so much negative comments regarding the Pandora project ( even more than the Frozen project over at EPCOT). People saying "it's not Disney, it doesn't fit" and so on. Iger is doing what Walt Disney did years ago. Buying up or partnering with other companies to bring the best theme park / movie entertainment to the public. Avatar will be a łand we have never seen before. People that were negative might jump on the bandwagon about how impressive this land turned out and that's okay if they choose to do that. I believe it will be a sleeper hit and DAK deserves the best.

Kamikaze

If you have followed these boards for awhile, there has been so much negative comments regarding the Pandora project ( even more than the Frozen project over at EPCOT). People saying "it's not Disney, it doesn't fit" and so on. Iger is doing what Walt Disney did years ago. Buying up or partnering with other companies to bring the best theme park / movie entertainment to the public. Avatar will be a łand we have never seen before. People that were negative might jump on the bandwagon about how impressive this land turned out and that's okay if they choose to do that. I believe it will be a sleeper hit and DAK deserves the best.

Still doesn't make it a sleeper. I think it will be well-themed, but will have no real substance, just like the movie.

Kamikaze

Pretty sure I know what that means. To assure you of that, I will restate my intent.

Recently someone on the boards posted something about the Avatar project and ended the post with the phrase "for the three people that care." In my mind this expansion has not been looked upon favorably or with much interest by many people. Even when online opinions are taken, the % interest in this project has always been low. I think it is going to surprise a lot of people when it opens and is really going to increase park attendance.

The fact that it was announced in 2011 is significant to you. That's nice. Most people won't argue the fact that this particular project is not talked about a lot and has only recently seen an uptick in interest since D23 and some more recent photos that have appeared online. When it opens, public interest will skyrocket. Because it was announced in 2011 doesn't mean all that much if the interest has not been there all that much. That is going to change however.

There is a separate sub forum on here for it.
The construction can be seen all over DAK.
The reason for the uptick is because they are actually finally talking about it and going full speed on the build. Not because people are suddenly interested. Well, they are interested because its actually moving. When all the site is was cleared land, theres not much to discuss.
Once again, you can't call it a 'sleeper' when they are promoting it to high heaven and have spent ungodly amounts of money on it.

Sleeper hit is a term used in the entertainment industry for a (product) that plays successfully for a long period and becomes a big success, despite having relatively little promotion or lacking a successful opening.

Pandora does not, and will not, ever fit that definition.

twebber55

No, its not an 'underdog' either. Its the PRIMARY PROJECT OF THE RESORT for 3 years. Nothing less.
you re missing the point
many fans in the disney community are dismissing it
thats the context of what are others are saying...i agree with you its a big project , however many are dismissing it, heck TSL is getting more love from many disney fans than this

flyerjab

The reason for the uptick is because they are actually finally talking about it and going full speed on the build. Not because people are suddenly interested. Well, they are interested because its actually moving. When all the site is was cleared land, theres not much to discuss.
Once again, you can't call it a 'sleeper' when they are promoting it to high heaven and have spent ungodly amounts of money on it.

Sleeper hit is a term used in the entertainment industry for a (product) that plays successfully for a long period and becomes a big success, despite having relatively little promotion or lacking a successful opening.

In your opinion.

It might be known on fan sites like this one, but not to the general public. I have been on the bus to DAK so many times since construction started and nobody on the bus knows what it is. And the money is irrelevant. This is my opinion.

Nice try though.

Kamikaze

you re missing the point
many fans in the disney community are dismissing it
thats the context of what are others are saying...i agree with you its a big project , however many are dismissing it, heck TSL is getting more love from many disney fans than this

No, you're missing the point. I'm not questioning whether its being trashed, dismissed, panned, discredited, pooped on or wrapped in a bow and shot to the moon.

All I said was that you cannot call it a 'sleeper hit' because that is something that makes money and/or critical acclaim when no marketing or budget is put behind it. That is NOT the case with Pandora.

In your opinion.

It might be known on fan sites like this one, but not to the general public. I have been on the bus to DAK so many times since construction started and nobody on the bus knows what it is. And the money is irrelevant. This is my opinion.

Nice try though.

The money is completely relevant if you're trying to label this as some kind of 'underdog' 'sleeper'. It is not that. You're trying to turn this into something its not. The general public doesn't know about it because they don't care. Disney isn't marketing it to them yet because we have two more years before it will be open. When the hype machine starts, it will be all over everything. And then you really won't be able to label it anything but what it is. And that isn't a 'sleeper'.

ctrlaltdel

I personally believe that far more people will be excited about it once it opens. Don't know if that quantifies as a "sleeper" hit or not, but we all know the reasons (right or wrong) why people are against this/think it will flop. Everything we've actually seen from this project indicates that it will be an enormous success, and people will very likely turn around once they actually get to experience it for themselves.

flyerjab

No, you're missing the point. I'm not questioning whether its being trashed, dismissed, panned, discredited, pooped on or wrapped in a bow and shot to the moon.

All I said was that you cannot call it a 'sleeper hit' because that is something that makes money and/or critical acclaim when no marketing or budget is put behind it. That is NOT the case with Pandora.

The money is completely relevant if you're trying to label this as some kind of 'underdog' 'sleeper'. It is not that. You're trying to turn this into something its not. The general public doesn't know about it because they don't care. Disney isn't marketing it to them yet because we have two more years before it will be open. When the hype machine starts, it will be all over everything. And then you really won't be able to label it anything but what it is. And that isn't a 'sleeper'.

Fair enough. You think what you want and I'll think what I want.

twebber55

im moving along
you should too
this is pointless

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Except for the promotion part, I think that might turn out to be an accurate description. I don't think you are going to see a massive influx of people early on who are interested in Avatar like you would with something like Star Wars or Harry Potter, but I think the land will be popular long term as word of mouth spreads about it.

Last edited:

doctornick

Exception for the promotion park, I think that might turn out to be an accurate description. I don't think you are going to see a massive influx of people early on who are interested in Avatar like you would with something like Star Wars or Harry Potter, but I think the land will be popular long term as word of mouth spreads about it.

Yes, I think it is quite possible that the expansion will open with comparatively little fanfare and become more popular if indeed it is well done and impressive and has good word of mouth. That's pretty much the definition of a sleeper hit.

Compare to the likes of Star Wars where you can find a lot of chatter about the specifics of the land out there -- even though we know nothing and land clearing, let alone construction, has not begun. That's not a sleeper because there's already significant attention/hype among the public.

twebber55

Yes, I think it is quite possible that the expansion will open with comparatively little fanfare and become more popular if indeed it is well done and impressive and has good word of mouth. That's pretty much the definition of a sleeper hit.

Compare to the likes of Star Wars where you can find a lot of chatter about the specifics of the land out there -- even though we know nothing and land clearing, let alone construction, has not begun. That's not a sleeper because there's already significant attention/hype among the public.
like i ve said in the past i expect a cars land type opening

Mawg

Except for the promotion part, I think that might turn out to be an accurate description. I don't think you are going to see a massive influx of people early on who are interested in Avatar like you would with something like Star Wars or Harry Potter, but I think the land will be popular long term as word of mouth spreads about it.
Disney will heavily advertise this new land when the timing is right. It will be in everyone of their commercials all over ABC and the Disney Channel. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some documentary on the Travel Channel for the making of Pandora. It won't take word of mouth for this to get our there. Disney will make sure people know about it well in advance.

veritas55

im thinking we probably wont see a night sky because this cruise will be in a pandoran cave (just a guess)
i know this should be in the avatar the specifics thread sorry for thread drift

Don't mean to add to the drift, but I thought the concept artwork suggested that the ride would basically be going through the similar landscape shown in the movie when Jake (?), after being rescued from the attack of the hell dog-like creatures, is following the Avatar woman, and basically Cameron is using that as an opportunity to show us the Pandora nightime landscape. That seemed to be the basic gist / feel for what they were doing with boat ride, but who knows? Has a cave been mentioned by anyone? (Edit: sorry, just saw that you said it was "just a guess.")

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom