AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

ctxak98

Assuming there must be one, I pick Disney.
Like I have said before, I am all for Disney going with something that they created themselves, I am just worried about UNI's power right now. I know I don't want a WDW vs. UNI but we have to face facts, and UNI is doing very well right now and could pass Disney within the next decade! Its a scary thought because I always want WDW to be the best!....selfish reasoning :)

Magenta Panther

Like I have said before, I am all for Disney going with something that they created themselves, I am just worried about UNI's power right now. I know I don't want a WDW vs. UNI but we have to face facts, and UNI is doing very well right now and could pass Disney within the next decade! Its a scary thought because I always want WDW to be the best!....selfish reasoning :)

I am a big fan of Universal's park. BUT...in terms of legacy, audience recognition, and family appeal, Disney kicks Uni's butt and does not NEED to buy off-studio junk to succeed! I wish to heck Iger had faith in Disney instead of seeing it as needing help, which was probably behind his stupid purchases of Star Wars and Marvel, and his wanting to build a moronic Avatar Land at DAK. I guarantee that a Pride Lands area would have much more appeal and staying power, but Iger the Cement Head can't see that, even though "The Lion King" 3D reissue is the only Disney 3D reissue that was successful...because people still love The Lion King that much.

I hope Iger IS going to go into politics after he happily leaves WDW in a couple of years. The press will rake him over the coals (especially if he runs as a Republican, because that's the so-called nonpartisan press these days) and it'll serve him right. :D

lazyboy97o

Leaders are not reactionary followers.

SirLink

im fine with that

people complain about avatar because they claim it has no staying power(not that i agree) ...but a non franchise could fall in the same boat

If your going to use a franchise to show Mythical creatures there are two stories which although Disney butchered and hacked up for will have more staying power i.e. people will know the creatures e.g. "Look a Dragon", "Ohh a Unicorn", "Wow a Minotaur", "Awesome look at the Pegasus'" etc.

As opposed to "Ew what is that a horse with feelers", "Look at that flying thing" with what you will get from Avatar.

Aka Mythological creatures have a greater resonance with people as they have been portrayed in multiple mediums over the last 1000 years definitively more popular

SirLink

I am a big fan of Universal's park. BUT...in terms of legacy, audience recognition, and family appeal, Disney kicks Uni's butt and does not NEED to buy off-studio junk to succeed! I wish to heck Iger had faith in Disney instead of seeing it as needing help, which was probably behind his stupid purchases of Star Wars and Marvel, and his wanting to build a moronic Avatar Land at DAK. I guarantee that a Pride Lands area would have much more appeal and staying power, but Iger the Cement Head can't see that, even though "The Lion King" 3D reissue is the only Disney 3D reissue that was successful...because people still love The Lion King that much.

I hope Iger IS going to go into politics after he happily leaves WDW in a couple of years. The press will rake him over the coals (especially if he runs as a Republican, because that's the so-called nonpartisan press these days) and it'll serve him right. :D

Nope that is just as bad there isn't a lot you can do with Lion King plus the park needs imaginary creatures.

p.s. There is nothing wrong with buying Marvel and Star Wars...

Magenta Panther

If your going to use a franchise to show Mythical creatures there are two stories which although Disney butchered and hacked up for will have more staying power i.e. people will know the creatures e.g. "Look a Dragon", "Ohh a Unicorn", "Wow a Minotaur", "Awesome look at the Pegasus'" etc.

As opposed to "Ew what is that a horse with feelers", "Look at that flying thing" with what you will get from Avatar.

Aka Mythological creatures have a greater resonance with people as they have been portrayed in multiple mediums over the last 1000 years definitively more popular

Very good point. People who visit the (hopefully-never-built) Avatar attraction won't even know that the heck the giant blue kitties are unless they've seen the movie. But everyone recognizes unicorns, dragons, minotaurs and so on. Heck, if Disney really wants to build a fantasy-animal attraction that's based on a movie in DAK, there's this little DISNEY movie made long ago called "Fantasia"...

Magenta Panther

Nope that is just as bad there isn't a lot you can do with Lion King plus the park needs imaginary creatures.

p.s. There is nothing wrong with buying Marvel and Star Wars...

I agree about imaginary creatures, but Lion King doesn't have its own dark ride, which is criminal. And what about the Jungle Book? I think any new attractions in DAK/WDW should be built based on DISNEY concepts on account of it's a DISNEY PARK!

SirLink

Very good point. People who visit the (hopefully-never-built) Avatar attraction won't even know that the heck the giant blue kitties are unless they've seen the movie. But everyone recognizes unicorns, dragons, minotaurs and so on. If Disney wants to build a fantasy-animal attraction in DAK, there's this little DISNEY movie made long ago called "Fantasia"...

Just No. They put out a little butchered version of Hercules which had Mythological creatures out the wazoo and guess what there was a branded drink in it... but really Mythological creatures can stand with out any franchise involvement.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
You misconstrued my point - or perhaps I didn't voice it well enough.

I am not saying that I wanted a proven franchise or that Beastly Kingdomme was a better proven franchise than Avatar. My point was that IF they wanted to go with a proven franchise, Avatar is probably not the best option available to them.

IMHO I would rather not see an Avatarland. Perhaps a single ride - but not an entire land devoted to it.

I agree that Avatar didn't have a lot of cultural staying power, but once reminded via marketing of it, people will remember it since a lot of people went to see it. This, and James Cameron's name can be used a very powerful marketing tools to get people interested. If they design a great land with innovative attractions, once the initial marketing push is done, the popularity of the attractions should sustain itself.

lazyboy97o

I agree about imaginary creatures, but Lion King doesn't have its own dark ride, which is criminal. And what about the Jungle Book? I think any new attractions in DAK/WDW should be built based on DISNEY concepts on account of it's a DISNEY PARK!
Why is it "criminal?" They both exist in environments already present in Disney's Animal Kingdom, but not made of plastic.

SirLink

It has a stage show thing. That is enough. Jungle book if you really wanted to add them Asia would be fine...but that isn't going to get people in the gate.

twebber55

Very good point. People who visit the (hopefully-never-built) Avatar attraction won't even know that the heck the giant blue kitties are unless they've seen the movie. But everyone recognizes unicorns, dragons, minotaurs and so on. Heck, if Disney really wants to build a fantasy-animal attraction that's based on a movie in DAK, there's this little DISNEY movie made long ago called "Fantasia"...
or you could be like me who never watched a potter movie but went to IOA and went home to watch all of them

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom