Avatar Flight of Passage safety and warning cards being handed out to guests

Sped2424

I also have very thick glasses frames (and an unfortunate huge head) and wearing the flight of passage 3d glasses on top of my own was not a problem for me in the slightest.

zombiebbq

I can't even see 3D when it's in motion, so I am already expecting this ride to give me a massive headache. Don't need a safety card to tell me that, but I'm still going to ride it once just to experience it. I don't think a safety card is going to stop anyone from riding such a hyped attraction even if they think some of the warnings on it apply to them.

jaxonp

Can I say this ride is very tame as far as simulator's go? Forbidden journey is wayyyy more intense and I don't see them handing out cards mid line. Seems silly to me.

Exactly! I think so many people get worked up over nothing and because of a small percentage that do get sick, in turn end up being very vocal, and thus Disney overreacts. You know if you're the type of person that has motion sickness or not and if you do, it's best to stay off. Motion sickness absolutely sucks. Some rides like Star Tours wreck me.. therefore I do not ride it. I'm not asking Disney to hand out cards warning me etc. Common sense.

Again, give me a break and learn to read, I outlined 2 very valid points.
I know how to read and, from what I gathered, you were upset that your two specific complaints weren't addressed on the safety card. Your two points really weren't even very valid. I also have prescription glasses with large/thick frames and have zero issues with the glasses. Definitely does sound like user error.

As far as the smell, that's all personal preference, there's no reason to even acknowledge that point--it's not like they're pumping in poisonous chemicals, it's atmosphere. That's like expecting Disney to take action because you don't like the fact that Space Mountain's seats are blue--that's just how the ride was designed and has no bearing on health or safety. Like others have mentioned, it's perfectly fine to dislike a ride and avoid it--it's irrational to expect them to change what you dislike so that you can feel it's acceptable to ride again.

Clamman73

According to some other websites, safety/warning cards are now being handed out to guests entering the line for this attraction (similar to the cards handed out at Mission Space in EPCOT). I’m surprised it took this long for a more detailed warning, since I’ve heard of tons of people getting sick on this ride.

I’ve heard so many people compare it to Soarin, but I think it is significantly more intense than Soarin. I have multiple issues with this ride, and even though I’m a local and visit AK frequently, I rarely ride Avatar anymore. I rode it a bunch when it first opened, mainly trying to see if I could sort out the problems that prevent me from liking the ride, but no luck there so it’s pretty much no-go for me unless they fix a couple things.

Problem 1 – Putting 3D glasses over prescription glasses. The very first time I rode FOP, the 3D glasses came flying off. I then learned that I had to hold the 3D glasses on my face with one hand during the entire ride. Anyone who has ridden FOP knows there is significant movement and trying to hold on to the handlebars with one hand for the entire ride is not only incredibly difficult but results in a lot of flailing about. As someone who has to wear glasses (I am allergic to contacts and therefore can’t ever wear them), the 3D glasses are an extremely poor design. And my Rx glasses frames are even on the small side and also work fine with screen-based 3D glasses at other non-Disney parks. But for the FOP ride, given the significant amount of movement and tilting forward, the 3D glasses really should have been designed with some sort of back strap to secure the 3D glasses over the prescription glasses that many of us have to wear.

Problem 2 – That sickly sweet smell that is pumped on you during the entire ride. It reminds of the smell in the Figi section of Soarin, which is fine when it’s just for a couple seconds. But it’s not fine, at least for me, for an entire 4.5 minutes. For me, it’s sickly sweet and makes me super nauseous. But, I learned that if I hold my nose with one hand for the entire ride to avoid the smell, I don’t get nauseous at all. Of course, I’m still flailing about trying to hold on to the handlebars with one hand and the aforementioned 3D glasses slide around at best and fly off again at worst.

So to summarize, I need one hand to keep the 3D glasses on my face so I can see the screen. I need the other hand to hold my nose so I don’t get nauseous from the gross pumped-in smell. That leaves me exactly zero hands to hold onto the handbars!
This is the card...I got a souvenir.
946F00C5-4AAA-48CE-AF08-BB3B57E5BA5F.jpeg

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
With as few spoilers as possible can someone explain the mechanics of this ride to me? I am trying to decide if my husband can handle it. He is very much afraid of heights.

He doesn't do rollercoasters because they terrify him so much that his chest hurts by the end of the ride.
On Soarin he asked for his restraint to be released so he could leave before starting because being lifted the short distance into the air while his feet dangled was too much for him (he says that short distance would have been fine had it been an normal enclosed seat where his feet would be setting on a solid floor).
Simulated heights seem to be ok for him as he loved the Simpsons ride at universal. He also enjoyed the helicopter ride we took at a local festival a few years back which I found really weird since he is afraid of heights in all other settings.

I don't want to just Google for the answer because I would like to try and avoid too many spoilers about the ride for myself. Because the lines are so long for it I don't think riding by myself and then again with him will be an option.
Considering the card says people with "fear of heights or motion sickness" should not fly, I'm guessing he should skip this one.

Princess Leia

I took Bonine about 2 hours before riding, and that was a huge help. As for the 3D goggles- everyone in my group said they were a little big. They stayed in place just fine, but felt a little large for our heads.

habuma

I guess I'm lucky. I often can't ride as passenger in a car to the grocery without getting a little car sick. But FoP didn't give me motion sickness problems even in the slightest. In fact, the only WDW or DL attraction that even troubles me is the backwards section of EE. And even then, I disregard it and ride EE at least once per trip.

I suppose that the message here is that it *could* give you motion sickness issues. But it might not. Based on my experience, I'd recommend trying it, but be prepared for problems. IMO, it's an attraction that's totally worth it, even if you need to sit down for a moment to collect yourself after it's over.

Gringrinngghost

I know everyone would mock it as a cynical way for Disney to make more money, but they should seriously consider selling personal 3D glasses. Still offer the cheap ones to everyone for free, but if they had different styles and comfort options to choose from, I would absolutely spend $30 on a pair of 3D glasses that are actually comfortable and I could wear over and over again.
A standard pair of Dolby 3D start at $23 a pair (on ebay) and $12 at a wholesale cost... and that's for the standard design. FoPs are custom and are then cost more money than to produce, one of which I would put around $18 a pair.

Radeksgrl

Original Poster
I know how to read and, from what I gathered, you were upset that your two specific complaints weren't addressed on the safety card. Your two points really weren't even very valid. I also have prescription glasses with large/thick frames and have zero issues with the glasses. Definitely does sound like user error.

As far as the smell, that's all personal preference, there's no reason to even acknowledge that point--it's not like they're pumping in poisonous chemicals, it's atmosphere. That's like expecting Disney to take action because you don't like the fact that Space Mountain's seats are blue--that's just how the ride was designed and has no bearing on health or safety. Like others have mentioned, it's perfectly fine to dislike a ride and avoid it--it's irrational to expect them to change what you dislike so that you can feel it's acceptable to ride again.

you "gather" totally wrong, so move on

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I never noticed much of a smell at all on the attraction and also never had issues with the 3D glasses, HOWEVER I know others do have some issues with the glasses.

I do wonder if the experience would be lessened significantly without the 3D glasses, although I do think it helps in preventing you from seeing the other riders around you to take you out of the experience somewhat.

Regarding whether Disney should sell custom 3D glasses, I'm pretty sure that there's at least 2-3 different 3D technologies in play on the various attractions (for example, I think MuppetVision 3D, Star Tours and Avatar are all different technologies) so it wouldn't be feasible at the moment to sell custom glasses to people

sndral

This is the card...I got a souvenir.
View attachment 269116
My guess is that “All members of your party must be together throughout the entire length of the queue” & “No restroom facilities beyond this point” = too many groups were sending one person to ‘save’ a place in line and later jumping the line to ‘catch up’ towards the end claiming they’d just been on a bathroom break. IME tolerance for line jumpers decreases as the wait increases. I bet there were some heated exchanges between long suffering line waiters and brash line cutters hence the need to make a specific rule.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom