Avatar Flight of Passage safety and warning cards being handed out to guests

Radeksgrl

Original Poster
According to some other websites, safety/warning cards are now being handed out to guests entering the line for this attraction (similar to the cards handed out at Mission Space in EPCOT). I’m surprised it took this long for a more detailed warning, since I’ve heard of tons of people getting sick on this ride.

I’ve heard so many people compare it to Soarin, but I think it is significantly more intense than Soarin. I have multiple issues with this ride, and even though I’m a local and visit AK frequently, I rarely ride Avatar anymore. I rode it a bunch when it first opened, mainly trying to see if I could sort out the problems that prevent me from liking the ride, but no luck there so it’s pretty much no-go for me unless they fix a couple things.

Problem 1 – Putting 3D glasses over prescription glasses. The very first time I rode FOP, the 3D glasses came flying off. I then learned that I had to hold the 3D glasses on my face with one hand during the entire ride. Anyone who has ridden FOP knows there is significant movement and trying to hold on to the handlebars with one hand for the entire ride is not only incredibly difficult but results in a lot of flailing about. As someone who has to wear glasses (I am allergic to contacts and therefore can’t ever wear them), the 3D glasses are an extremely poor design. And my Rx glasses frames are even on the small side and also work fine with screen-based 3D glasses at other non-Disney parks. But for the FOP ride, given the significant amount of movement and tilting forward, the 3D glasses really should have been designed with some sort of back strap to secure the 3D glasses over the prescription glasses that many of us have to wear.

Problem 2 – That sickly sweet smell that is pumped on you during the entire ride. It reminds of the smell in the Figi section of Soarin, which is fine when it’s just for a couple seconds. But it’s not fine, at least for me, for an entire 4.5 minutes. For me, it’s sickly sweet and makes me super nauseous. But, I learned that if I hold my nose with one hand for the entire ride to avoid the smell, I don’t get nauseous at all. Of course, I’m still flailing about trying to hold on to the handlebars with one hand and the aforementioned 3D glasses slide around at best and fly off again at worst.

So to summarize, I need one hand to keep the 3D glasses on my face so I can see the screen. I need the other hand to hold my nose so I don’t get nauseous from the gross pumped-in smell. That leaves me exactly zero hands to hold onto the handbars!

Last edited:

Herdman

I have an eye strap that I put on my glasses every time I ride a coaster for that "just in case" time that I might feel like I'm going to lose my glasses. I plan on hooking it to the 3D glasses when I ride FoP for the first time in May. I totally agree that they should have put a strap on the glasses from the start once they realized the possibility for people with prescription glasses.

Radeksgrl

Original Poster
I submitted a complaint online to Disney about the problem with the glasses shortly after the ride opened, but nothing has changed.

Ripken10

According to some other websites, safety/warning cards are now being handed out to guests entering the line for this attraction (similar to the cards handed out at Mission Space in EPCOT). I’m surprised it took this long for a more detailed warning, since I’ve heard of tons of people getting sick on this ride.

I’ve heard so many people compare it to Soarin, but I think it is significantly more intense than Soarin. I have multiple issues with this ride, and even though I’m a local and visit AK frequently, I rarely ride Avatar anymore. I rode it a bunch when it first opened, mainly trying to see if I could sort out the problems that prevent me from liking the ride, but no luck there so it’s pretty much no-go for me unless they fix a couple things.

Problem 1 – Putting 3D glasses over prescription glasses. The very first time I rode FOP, the 3D glasses came flying off. I then learned that I had to hold the 3D glasses on my face with one hand during the entire ride. Anyone who has ridden FOP knows there is significant movement and trying to hold on to the handlebars with one hand for the entire ride is not only incredibly difficult but results in a lot of flailing about. As someone who has to wear glasses (I am allergic to contacts and therefore can’t ever wear them), the 3D glasses are an extremely poor design. And my Rx glasses frames are even on the small side and also work fine with screen-based 3D glasses at other non-Disney parks. But for the FOP ride, given the significant amount of movement and tilting forward, the 3D glasses really should have been designed with some sort of back strap to secure the 3D glasses over the prescription glasses that many of us have to wear.

Problem 2 – That sickly sweet smell that is pumped on you during the entire ride. It reminds of the smell in the Figi section of Soarin, which is fine when it’s just for a couple seconds. But it’s not fine, at least for me, for an entire 4.5 minutes. For me, it’s sickly sweet and makes me super nauseous. But, I learned that if I hold my nose with one hand for the entire ride to avoid the smell, I don’t get nauseous at all. Of course, I’m still flailing about trying to hold on to the handlebars with one hand and the aforementioned 3D glasses slide around at best and fly off again at worst.

So to summarize, I need one hand to keep the 3D glasses on my face so I can see the screen. I need the other hand to hold my nose so I don’t get nauseous from the gross pumped-in smell. That leaves me exactly zero hands to hold onto the handbars!
I'm thinking maybe you shouldn't be riding it then.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I know everyone would mock it as a cynical way for Disney to make more money, but they should seriously consider selling personal 3D glasses. Still offer the cheap ones to everyone for free, but if they had different styles and comfort options to choose from, I would absolutely spend $30 on a pair of 3D glasses that are actually comfortable and I could wear over and over again.

J_Krafty24

With as few spoilers as possible can someone explain the mechanics of this ride to me? I am trying to decide if my husband can handle it. He is very much afraid of heights.

He doesn't do rollercoasters because they terrify him so much that his chest hurts by the end of the ride.
On Soarin he asked for his restraint to be released so he could leave before starting because being lifted the short distance into the air while his feet dangled was too much for him (he says that short distance would have been fine had it been an normal enclosed seat where his feet would be setting on a solid floor).
Simulated heights seem to be ok for him as he loved the Simpsons ride at universal. He also enjoyed the helicopter ride we took at a local festival a few years back which I found really weird since he is afraid of heights in all other settings.

I don't want to just Google for the answer because I would like to try and avoid too many spoilers about the ride for myself. Because the lines are so long for it I don't think riding by myself and then again with him will be an option.

GrumpyFan

I know everyone would mock it as a cynical way for Disney to make more money, but they should seriously consider selling personal 3D glasses. Still offer the cheap ones to everyone for free, but if they had different styles and comfort options to choose from, I would absolutely spend $30 on a pair of 3D glasses that are actually comfortable and I could wear over and over again.
I'm really surprised they haven't monetized this. I've thought the same thing before. Seems almost like a no-brainer if they could have various designs and styles that were also more accommodating.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I'm really surprised they haven't monetized this. I've thought the same thing before. Seems almost like a no-brainer if they could have various designs and styles that were also more accommodating.
I'm not sure about the technology, but could you even use the same 3D glasses for a regular 3D movie in the theaters?

trainplane3

With as few spoilers as possible can someone explain the mechanics of this ride to me? I am trying to decide if my husband can handle it. He is very much afraid of heights.

He doesn't do rollercoasters because they terrify him so much that his chest hurts by the end of the ride.
On Soarin he asked for his restraint to be released so he could leave before starting because being lifted the short distance into the air while his feet dangled was too much for him (he says that short distance would have been fine had it been an normal enclosed seat where his feet would be setting on a solid floor).
Simulated heights seem to be ok for him as he loved the Simpsons ride at universal. He also enjoyed the helicopter ride we took at a local festival a few years back which I found really weird since he is afraid of heights in all other settings.

I don't want to just Google for the answer because I would like to try and avoid too many spoilers about the ride for myself. Because the lines are so long for it I don't think riding by myself and then again with him will be an option.
Think Soarin' but you're on a glorified bicycle seat that doesn't leave the ground. It tilts in every direction and the seat "breathes".
Lower right corner you can see the seats. On the left you can see a wall structure. That wall moves up and over you during a neat "warp" effect and then you are staring at a giant screen. I'd think he'll be fine since you never leave the "ground".
pandora-01.jpg

GrumpyFan

It's a simulated open and free-flying attraction, so if he's okay with this, he should be okay. Also, unless you were to lean far forward and look up/down or extreme left/right, you might not even realize you're sitting in an elevated room.

The difference between this and Soarin is you never physically leave the place where you sit down on the seat. Your feet and the rest of your body are stationary.

Radeksgrl

Original Poster
If you don’t like it or it doesn’t suit you then don’t ride it. I am so over people wanting things to change to fit their personal needs rather than the majority. The poster barely even mentioned the subject of their thread and instead turned it into a complain fest

Again, give me a break and learn to read, I outlined 2 very valid points.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Second this idea, It never fails to amaze me that Disney monetizes things that are guaranteed to annoy people, yet IGNORE the larger potential of people willing to buy things like personal 3-d Glasses, The Purple Magic Band and others.

Minnesota disney fan

OP, regarding your original question? I am like your husband and am afraid of heights, specifically rides that simulate falling or going over the edge of a cliff, such as Soarin. I quit riding Soarin due to this. Also didn't like the bar at the back of the seat. I never felt like I could sit back all the way, and always felt like I was falling. I am not a chicken. I ride roller coasters and thrill rides, but for some reason I can't do Soarin or FOP. My husband rode it last week, and I opted out of it. He said that I would Not have been able to tolerate it and was glad I decided not to ride. I had a great time walking around the amazing Pandora and taking pictures, etc.
So, your husband should do what he knows in his heart he will be able to or not to tolerate. No shame in that:)_

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom