Avatar Flight of Passage safety and warning cards being handed out to guests

Mabel Pines

I'm really surprised no one's complained about the strobe lights (that I know of). When I first heard they were doing this I thought for sure it would be about the strobe lights at the beginning... I can see them being very disorienting and an epileptic concern

My guess is that “All members of your party must be together throughout the entire length of the queue” & “No restroom facilities beyond this point” = too many groups were sending one person to ‘save’ a place in line and later jumping the line to ‘catch up’ towards the end claiming they’d just been on a bathroom break. IME tolerance for line jumpers decreases as the wait increases. I bet there were some heated exchanges between long suffering line waiters and brash line cutters hence the need to make a specific rule.
You're right. I've seen it happen too many times. Once, a woman sent her child (who couldn't have been more than six) in front of us with a cell phone to wait in line alone for TSMM, and then when we got near the 3D glasses station, he sent a text and the woman and another child pushed their way past us claiming they'd just made a quick trip to the bathroom. It had been a 90-minute wait.

fractal

and as far as "sickly sweet" odor constantly pumped in - the scents change during the ride none of which I found to be "sickly". In fact I (and the rest of my group) loved them. To the OP - if theses are truly problems; get straps for your glasses and a nose clip or just don't ride it. I'm surprised you didn't think of this during your many times riding FoP. Just don't try to ruin the ride for the rest of us.

Amos1784

My husband will not ride Soarin or Mission Space (due to confinement and fear of heights) and gets major anxiety on both those attractions. We have now done FOP multiple times and he loves it. I think the one picture that was shown of the ride from the floor up looking at all the ride vehicles, while a cool picture, makes it look alot more intimidating then it really is. You don't feel like you are that high off the ground in any way while riding, and you can look backwards and still see your bag and items in the box waiting for you. These cards are basically just Disney covering themselves to say I told you this was not a boat ride...

Regarding the glasses every time I put them on I have the same thought why are these so big they are going to fly off, yet each time no problem. It must be something with the fit that makes you feel that but I don't see glasses flying off anyone while riding. And seriously complaining about a scent is just a little ridiculous to me :rolleyes:. The poster that commented and said its like complaining that the seats are blue in Space Mountain made me LOL!

JS514

I also have prescription glasses (allergic to contacts too), but I have no issue with the 3D glasses. In fact, I've thought they were the most accommodating versions of them at any theme park. My glasses are bigger and thick, but they may just happen to be the perfect shape/size for the 3D glasses to be set on.

As far as the smell, that has to be a personal thing because my wife and I can't get enough of it. We even bought a candle version of it for the house. They do have different smells throughout the ride, but that definitely is the main one.

I understand your complaints, but unfortunately, I think it's just one of those things where "it is what it is." For instance, I'm a bigger guy, so the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is a tough one for me. I can fit pretty well, but the way the lap bars fit on my legs, it feels like they are digging into the side of my thigh bone. So I have to just know that it is what it is and make the decision if I want to ride it or not.

I know that doesn't really help, and I always say you should give feedback, but I've also had make myself learn that sometimes all things cant be the same to all people.

YankeeMouse

When we rode in January, a pre-teen said she couldn't keep glasses on her head. The cast member said, "hold on with your hand", which is not really a long term solution. How about some type of workaround like bungee-type cords available?

disneygeek90

I know everyone would mock it as a cynical way for Disney to make more money, but they should seriously consider selling personal 3D glasses. Still offer the cheap ones to everyone for free, but if they had different styles and comfort options to choose from, I would absolutely spend $30 on a pair of 3D glasses that are actually comfortable and I could wear over and over again.
That's actually not a bad idea, especially for repetitive guests. You'd have your own pair that's "yours," fit to your own liking, to take on any of the 3D rides in WDW. I would suspect they could even work at the plethora of US attractions as well.

Last edited:

jgj123

I have a question. Is there a ride vehicle before the ride so a large person can try it out?
Yes, but is is more restrictive than the actual ride vehicle, as they've adjusted the restraints on the actual ride vehicle over time. My dad has a bad back and knee replacement, so he tried the test vehicle and they couldn't push the leg restraints enough and he couldn't bend enough to sit comfortably, so he decided not to ride. I tried the test vehicle also and when we rode, I noticed that the actual restraints were far more forgiving and provided way more room. My dad rode it when we went back and was fine, said it was a great ride and that he was able to sit comfortably. So you can't really go by the test vehicle.

Tangled21

I too wear prescription glasses and had to hold up the 3D glasses on FoP with my free hand, so I can empathize with OP in that regard.

graphite1326

Yes, but is is more restrictive than the actual ride vehicle, as they've adjusted the restraints on the actual ride vehicle over time. My dad has a bad back and knee replacement, so he tried the test vehicle and they couldn't push the leg restraints enough and he couldn't bend enough to sit comfortably, so he decided not to ride. I tried the test vehicle also and when we rode, I noticed that the actual restraints were far more forgiving and provided way more room. My dad rode it when we went back and was fine, said it was a great ride and that he was able to sit comfortably. So you can't really go by the test vehicle.
So how big is too big?

ryguy

I am not a fan of heights and I thought the ride was very tame. Soarin is comparable. If your prone to motion sickness probably should avoid. Forbidden Journey is by far the worst for motion sickness in Otown (leaving out Space because haven't rode the ride). I don't really remember anything about the glasses and I don't wear glasses so maybe that's why.

t3techcom18

The reason they're giving out these cards is two-fold:

1) The fact that they have huge lines and have no bathrooms inside.

2) The bigger issue at hand is they're trying to weed out people who are either can't fit and those who are prone to motion sickness. From people I know who have worked at MS and currently work at FoP, the issue of people throwing up there are actually much more severe than at MS. Likewise, the way they have to clean everything up is also extremely tedious (components have to be disassembled and reassembled if it's bad enough), resulting in hour+ downtimes for a ride room.

As for the glasses comments: I'm someone who has had prescription glasses for years and there's some rides where the 3D glasses (typically the 3D shows) I have issues with, but ST, FoP, Spider-Man and the others at Universal (except Shrek) I have never had a problem with.

As for how big is too big, the issue usually lies with either the gut or calves. If you have big arms or thighs, you should be fine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom