News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland

Disney Analyst

Bob - We are going to bring Avatar to Disneyland and we have other opportunities and I talked to Josh D'Amaro about this, recently, this morning to carefully look at all the great franchises of the company, and see where we can invest in them in the parks to increase capacity, while preserving guest satisfaction.

Ghost93

If an Avatar land was coming to Disneyland, the only area with enough space for it would be Tom Sawyer's Island. Could the island be rethemed to Pandora?

TP2000

On the point that this may be referencing DCA as the Disneyland Resort, there are two unused warehouse buildings in DCA to use for this "experience" too.

1. "Stage 17", the giant, charmless stucco warehouse where they had the Frozen village and snow playland thing.
2. That even less charming stucco warehouse just to the east of that, where they set up the Tron video game arcade.

The Stucco Manufacturers of America have immersed you! Doesn't it remind you of Arrendale the watery planet Pandora?!?

DSC032811.jpg

mickEblu

Experience, activation, they have all sorts of wording they like to use now. It's been made meaningless by their constant using of different terms. While they probably used Experience to ensure that it wasn't definitively read as an "attraction", it doesn't necessarily mean that it's not an attraction.

The Iron Man motion simulator in Hong Kong that they have in place of Star Tours is called the Iron Man Experience, after all.

I actually like the idea of a repurposed Magic Eye Theater for some sort of Avatar 3D show.

@mickEblu while I didn't watch the call, I'm assuming that Iger is referring to Disneyland Resort and not necessarily Disneyland Park.

I’m good with the theatre show as a kind of stop gap addition until they figure out what they do with TL.

It could very well be an “attraction” but I wouldn’t bet on it. As you said they chose that word carefully. With that said, if it’s something small they shouldn’t have announced it today. Now people minds will be running with possibilities just to be inevitably disappointed. Just surprise people with the announcement if it’s small instead of saying there are details to come. So maybe it’s not small.

I didn’t hear it either. I thought I read Disneyland. Not Disneyland resort. Although these Iger types probably don’t differentiate.

Disney Analyst

If an Avatar land was coming to Disneyland, the only area with enough space for it would be Tom Sawyer's Island. Could the island be rethemed to Pandora?

Perhaps this is what happens to the old Motorboat area? If it’s a new land, or an add on to Tomorrowland? Take over Subs and Autopia, and you have a decent amount of space.

PiratesMansion

Wait, I got it!

It'll be the Pandora Galactic Starcruiser Research Pod Experience, an Immersive, All-Inclusive Stay into the Pandora, The World of Avatar!

Become a Navi during your two-day land cruise Immersive Experience!

Two-day adventures start at the low price of $5,000/night for a party of two!

TP2000

An "experience" sounds very different than a "version", and both were mentioned by Iger. Interesting.

Agreed. Especially if this is an actual transcript from the call (not confirmed yet) and how Iger phrased it...

Bob - "We are going to bring Avatar to Disneyland and we have other opportunities and I talked to Josh D'Amaro about this, recently, this morning to carefully look at all the great franchises of the company, and see where we can invest in them in the parks to increase capacity, while preserving guest satisfaction."

That seems like a more purposeful and bigger deal than adding an "Avatar experience" to the park.

Also, I mentioned this in the Runaway Railway thread, but we should all take note that now senior executives are using phrases like "increase capacity" regarding the parks. That is a huge sea change for them! The parks execs for the past few decades never cared much about capacity, and never pushed WDI to design higher capacity rides than they were. This is huge.

I believe this is the silver lining to upcharging for Lightning Lane. The more seats they can fill and dispatch into a ride, the more money they can make by the hour! So WDI needs to start designing high capacity rides again, and the execs need to start investing in more capacity for the parks!

This is a hugely important cultural shift for senior executives to care about ride capacity. Suddenly, it's 1965 again! o_O

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Disneyland is pretty adept at putting limited time experiences in the parks to align with whatever trendy thing is on Disney at the moment (see how quickly they add new costumed characters to Avengers Campus to align with their airing on Disney+). I have to assume this is something quick to try and capitalize on the success of Way of Water (like a meet and greet of some sort... maybe reusing the Mech suit they have at DAK?)

BasiltheBatLord

I really hope this is going to DCA instead of DL. The rumor a while back was that Avatar was being considered for Subs+Autopia plot but was eventually shot down within WDI.

EagleScout610

Leader of the Mondo Fan Club
Premium Member
Ohhhh so thats where the Splash rumor came from! It's becoming Navi River Mountain instead! Now that all makes sense

DrAlice

I saw somewhere recently that the old lagoon in front of Pixie Hollow was bubbling again. Maybe they are going to restore the light and fountain show there and put a M&G in the Pixie Hollow thing.

That would be way easier (*cough* cheaper) than changing all of Star Wars Launch Bay.

Just a thought....

EDIT: Sorry @Squishy - I see that you beat me to it. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom