News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland Resort

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
For the love of god, the obvious answer is that they're going to do an area based around the Water Tribe from Way of Water.
Avatar 3 will have for sure been released by the time this new area is built and that movie deals with a clan that lives near volcanoes. If the area isn't built until after Dec 2029 it can deal with Avatar 4 stuff.

At the end of the day, the first 5 movies have been written and number 5 takes place on Earth, so we really don't know what they may have planned.

I just hope, like others, it isn't a clone of AK and I'll be happy.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don’t think it’ll be a dud I just think the odds are that it won’t be as good if it’s not a clone. Pandora at AK feels like they spared no expense and they had Rohde in charge. It was designed and built during a period in history where the company/ WDI still had a lot of their institutional knowledge and were killing it with lands like Cars Land. They were also in a much better financial state. For those reasons, the odds are very high that if they don’t go with a clone it will not be as good. It can still be good but it won’t be as good. A lot of new things at Disney parks are a mixed bag or just “good.” I want something great.
There is plenty of way this can be good or even very good, and plenty of ways it can be meh or even bad. We don't have enough information yet to know what it'll be. Not being a clone of AK doesn't tell us anything other than its something new. As they say the devils in the details, none of which we know.

I think there is plenty about this to be at least cautiously optimistic about.

Last edited by a moderator:

mickEblu

There is plenty of way this can be good or even very good, and plenty of ways it can be meh or even bad. We don't have enough information yet to know what it'll be. Not being a clone of AK doesn't tell us anything other than its something new. As they say the devils in the details, none of which we know.

I think there is plenty about this to be at least cautiously optimistic about.

I am happy that an Avatar E ticket (+ more?) is coming to DCA. To the land that I hoped it would at that. It’s much needed for that park. With that said, I can also be realistic and say that it most likely will not be as good as Pandora from AK for reasons I already mentioned.

MistaDee

I feel like DCA is a solid park, almost everything in it is exclusive to only that park. CarsLand being a huge standout. GRR is an amazing river rapids ride i love it but I know a lot of people dont like RR style rides, and Pixar Pier is good imo, so much kinetic energy and stuff to do and see. DCA def doenst compare to DL but its a solid sister park at this point

This comment got me thinking: what experiences are truly exclusive to DCA? I'm going to differentiate between experiences that are unique to DCA AND also of Disney/Universal quality, vs attractions whose experiences are easily found elsewhere. Basically just setting aside flat rides and roller coasters that can be found at many amusement parks.

True Disney Caliber Exclusives:
  • Carsland & Radiator Springs Racers
  • Mission: Breakout
  • Avengers Campus Spider-Man animatronic
  • World of Color
  • Buena Vista Street & Red Car Trolley (could be lower)
  • Animation Building
Technically Exclusive
  • Grizzly River Rapids
  • Incredicoaster
  • Spider-Man WEB Slingers (debated whether the hands free technology merited a bump up, but Ninjago exists)
  • Monsters Inc
  • Paradise Pier flat rides
  • Carsland flat rides
Duplicates
  • Soarin'
  • Toy Story Midway Mania
  • The Little Mermaid
  • Turtle Talk w/ Crush
  • Philharmagic
  • Disney Jr Dance Party
  • The turnstiles (lol)

In the end, I guess it's really just Radiator Springs Racers and Mission: Breakout that are Disney-quality, E-ticket attractions that are unique to DCA.

Even if they can add the long-awaited Avenger's E-ticket (likely replicated in Paris & Hong Kong) and bring an Avatar E-ticket (may be a near clone of Florida's?) that number only rises to MAYBE 3.

I remember being so excited about the DCA 2.0 investment that brought us Carsland, Buena Vista Street and more, but most importantly seemed to really understand the California theme and wanted to carve out a unique identity for the park.

Unfortunately it seems like it's just a dumping ground for easily cloned Disney IP which is a real shame.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I am happy that an Avatar E ticket (+ more?) is coming to DCA. To the land that I hoped it would at that. It’s much needed for that park. With that said, I can also be realistic and say that it most likely will not be as good as Pandora from AK for reasons I already mentioned.
I like to be more optimistic about things until proven otherwise, especially with no details. And "as good as" is subjective in my opinion.

mickEblu

I like to be more optimistic about things until proven otherwise, especially with no details. And "as good as" is subjective in my opinion.

If you don’t know by now I’m pretty good at making predictions based off the info at hand. At what point will you put some respek on my name?

Consumer

1710354917292.png

mickEblu

I was trying to be agnostic to quality or execution, the point is you won't find an experience with that level of theming, effects, ride system etc. outside of Disney/Universal

Whether or not you like the "bullet" doesn't change its caliber (even if it's not my cup of tea either...)

But you had a category where it fit so neatly… Technically exclusive.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If you don’t know by now I’m pretty good at making predictions based off the info at hand. At what point will you put some respek on my name?
Around the same time you put some on mine. ;)

But seriously, they could really "wow" us here. And I think there is a better than the 1% chance you gave it for that to happen. However I'm realistic that it may fall flat on its face too. But just based on the little tiny nugget of "rumor"/information that we do have we don't even know what the concept will be, let alone execution. And no offense to Yensid, but we don't even know how accurate what is being posted is true.

I really just think we're putting the cart before the horse here.

mickEblu

Around the same time you put some on mine. ;)

But seriously, they could really "wow" us here. And I think there is a better than the 1% chance you gave it for that to happen. However I'm realistic that it may fall flat on its face too. But just based on the little tiny nugget of "rumor" that we have we don't even know what the concept will be, let alone execution. And no offense to Yensid, but we don't even know how accurate what is being posted is true.

I really just think we're putting the cart before the horse here.

Please note that what I actually I said there is a 1% chance that this new Avatar land at DCA will be better than Pandora at AK. Not that it won’t be any good. That is all.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Please note that what I actually I said there is a 1% chance that this new Avatar land at DCA will be better than Pandora at AK. Not that it won’t be any good. That is all.
I know what you said. I think there is a better than 1% chance it could be better than AK or at least on par with it.

mickEblu

This was posted back in January about Landau visiting WDI. And it really does seem like this is now why he was there.

I also have to expect that Cameron will get creative approval on a lot of stuff to do with whatever they put in DCA. And as we know he is fairly protective over his creations.

Right. This is why I think at the very least it’ll be “good” in spite of all the other hurdles.

Professortango1

This comment got me thinking: what experiences are truly exclusive to DCA? I'm going to differentiate between experiences that are unique to DCA AND also of Disney/Universal quality, vs attractions whose experiences are easily found elsewhere. Basically just setting aside flat rides and roller coasters that can be found at many amusement parks.

• Carsland & Radiator Springs Racers
  • Avengers Campus Spider-Man animatronic
  • World of Color
  • Buena Vista Street & Red Car Trolley (could be lower)
  • Animation Building
I wouldn't call Mission BO a "Disney Caliber" experience. It feels like a cheap retheme, because it is. I'd move that into the "Technically Exclusive" as it is TOT, but with screens and extra junk in the queue.

World of Color is basically Bellagio meets the water parts of Fantasmic. Its water projections and fountains with music.

Animation Building is truncated and now features Turtle Talk and Elsa's meet and greet; neither of which are exclusive to DCA.

MistaDee

I wouldn't call Mission BO a "Disney Caliber" experience. It feels like a cheap retheme, because it is. I'd move that into the "Technically Exclusive" as it is TOT, but with screens and extra junk in the queue.

World of Color is basically Bellagio meets the water parts of Fantasmic. Its water projections and fountains with music.

Animation Building is truncated and now features Turtle Talk and Elsa's meet and greet; neither of which are exclusive to DCA.

Again, the categories are not evaluating quality, just the scope and level of investment. Per my criteria Mission Breakout is a Disney, E-ticket level investment that can only be found at DCA.

Whether you think it's effective or feels cheap is not the point of the category.

I did call out Turtle Talk as a duplicate further down. WoC and the Animation building could certainly be moved down but it gets to semantics at some point, the point was really that there are precious few "Disney-caliber" experiences unique to DCA.

With the two E-tickets rumored to be coming in Avatar and Avengers both potential duplicates themselves, I really hope Disney decides to differentiate these experiences as much as possible

Also isn't every other Soarin' the clone. DCA's Soarin' was the original.

Not interested in giving credit to who was "first," the point of the exercise was to identify experiences that you can only have at DCA, thus, Soarin' is in the duplicate category.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom