News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland Resort

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don’t think they addressed the screens at all which was disappointing. If I recall correctly, the refurb was of a decent length so a few of us were thinking it would be addressed.
It might be more complex than just new bulbs, it might be the projectors themselves that are the issue. They probably need to replace them with the ones they used for Slingers.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
And we, as consumers, can judge those decisions.

For me, it turned DCA into a park I no longer visit. Not out of spite. It just isn't worth the extra money anymore. If I'm spending $100-$150 a day to be at the Resort, I'm going to stick to the park with Disney-quality attractions and lands.

Is anyone other than APs actually visiting DCA?
Believe it or not, the first time I went to DCA was in 2013, not too long after the 2.0 update of Carsland and Buena Vista street. I didn't go to Disneyland much in the first decade of the 2000's, and when I did, it was one-day trips and we preferred Disneyland park.

I did two 3-day trips in 2014 and 2015 and we spent quite a bit of time in DCA....probably about a day and a half worth. Then my 2-day trips up until about 2018 would be one day spent in DL and one in DCA. Any single-day trips were only DL.

After that, most of my 2-day trips have been about a half-day in DCA and the rest in DL. I don't dislike DCA, but my interest has waned over the years. I haven't ridden Mission Breakout or Incredicoaster since 2018. I only do those rides if I'm with people that really want to do them. Avengers Campus was a one-and-done for me. I'm not interested in meet n' greets, the shows are mediocre, and Webslingers doesn't appeal to me.

Now that parkhoppers are $65 and I usually only do DCA half a day, my upcoming 2-day trip in May will just be at DL. $65 isn't even worth a half day at DCA anymore. I'll be curious to see if Avatar makes the park more interesting in the future.

mickEblu

It might be more complex than just new bulbs, it might be the projectors themselves that are the issue. They probably need to replace them with the ones they used for Slingers.

Maybe. Whatever it is they need to get it done. Or maybe not. Nobody seems to complain about it except me.

mickEblu

Two things are true. I’m one of the only people who complains about the dim screens on TSMM and literally the only person in the world that noticed that the Main Street train station recording changed after Covid. The latter is still hard to wrap my head around.

CaptinEO

I agree with the sentiment but when you say “us” I assume you’re talking us Disney park fiends?
I say us as in united states themepark fans
I don’t think the GP knows enough or cares about the differences and for those of us in the know I think inherently it will always have enough to get at least 1-2 lifetime visits. You have the whole resort bubble thing which is a big one. We have nothing like World Showcase or Animal Kingdom. Then you still (as of now anyway) have a decent amount of variation with some of the big attractions although that it slowly changing.

Although I’d prefer more unique attractions at DLR, I think Avatar is probably one of the best things we can hope for considering other realistic contenders.
Sure there's still the differences you mentioned but the new trend is cloning full lands and attractions. Can they at least reach into their international parks for us Californians please?

It gives less incentive for anyone to travel to the other coast with all the duplicate lands and rides.

What's next? Tron in Tommorowland? Guardians Coaster in DCA?

Last edited:

mickEblu

kp

I say us as in united states themepark fans

Sure there's still the differences you mentioned but the new trend is cloning full lands and attractions. Can they at least reach into their international parks for us Californians please?

It gives less incentive for anyone to travel to the other coast with all the duplicate lands and rides.

What's next? Tron in Tommorowland? Guardians Coaster in DCA?

I do wish there were some more variations. The clones these days are literally clones. Before there used to be at least some variation.

You don’t think there is enough difference between WDW and DLR to get the average theme park fan out there 1-2 times? Do most people fly across the country for a theme park vacation more than that in a lifetime? Especially if you already live by one of the Disney resort destinations stateside? I think you are speaking about a very niche audience. Disney park super fans who are also avid travelers and vacation with Disney often.

Agree on getting more from the international parks. That would make more sense.

I’d take a Guardians coaster in DCA. Tron in TL no thank you.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think you've said this multiple times, but if it's not Pandora what is it? This isn't Star Wars, there's only one location in Avatar to choose from.
The world of Avatar is more than just what is seen so far in the two movies and the land in AK. If I get what is being said, it won't be a clone of Pandora in AK. Which means it'll be a newly created land based on something else within the Avatar universe, maybe something we haven't even seen yet in the movies.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The world of Avatar is more than just what is seen so far in the two movies and the land in AK. If I get what is being said, it won't be a clone of Pandora in AK. Which means it'll be a newly created land based on something else within the Avatar universe, maybe something we haven't even seen yet in the movies.

Pandora: The World of Avatar hasn't been seen in the movies. It takes place after what will be Avatar 5.

Sure, we see things left over from Avatar 1-5, but specific movie place settings are chronologically displaced.

I would be surprised if it weren't a Pandora clone.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Pandora: The World of Avatar hasn't been seen in the movies. It takes place after what will be Avatar 5.

Sure, we see things left over from Avatar 1-5, but specific movie place settings are chronologically displaced.

I would be surprised if it weren't a Pandora clone.
Sorry if it wasn't clear when I said "The world of Avatar" I didn't mean the land in AK, I meant the Avatar universe (which I actually also used later in the post). So what I mean is its so much more than what we've seen so far in the movies and what is shown in the land, Cameron has a whole bunch of biomes planned out.

Anyways the point was that I don't think it'll be a clone of the land in AK.

Consumer

Do you think Cameron's going to take Avatar to a planet other than Pandora?

J4546

maybe they will make a more water centric version of avatar with a shanghai PotC version of Navi River Journey!!!!! prob not though but Id love another massive water based ride in DCA

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Do you think Cameron's going to take Avatar to a planet other than Pandora?
Pandora is actually a habitable moon not a planet, I don’t know if he plans to go to any of the other moons that are in that system. But we haven’t seen all of Pandora yet in the movies. So there is still plenty to explore just on Pandora.

Consumer

Pandora is actually a habitable moon not a planet, I don’t know if he plans to go to any of the other moons that are in that system. But we haven’t seen all of Pandora yet in the movies. So there is still plenty to explore just on Pandora.
Yensid literally said it's not Pandora. If he meant it's not a clone of Avatar land from Animal Kingdom, that's one thing, but that's just not what he said.

mickEblu

I think you've said this multiple times, but if it's not Pandora what is it? This isn't Star Wars, there's only one location in Avatar to choose from.

Well, the imagineers like to overthink things these days. It could be some sort of California based Spaceport where the ride takes off and takes you to Pandora. You know, so they can pretend there is still a strong California theme at DCA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom