News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland Resort

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
iu
Kehe! Tsu'tey! Rä'ä si!

PiratesMansion

It is kinda funny that as soon as Avatar 2 was a hit they latched on to it and mentioned it pretty quickly. Still no updates to what the new Marvel ride will be, especially since the Marvel movies haven't been doing very fantastic dollars-wise.
I think Disney is fumbling Marvel by continuing to push out product constantly, even though Endgame would have been a natural point to take a breather. While I don't follow the Marvel movies closely, the perception I get is that the newest movies aren't as strong as the ones before and audience fatigue is growing.

I get that it's a huge money maker for them, but I feel like what would ultimately be best for Marvel right now would be to take a few years off. Give the creative teams time to recharge and give the audience time to miss going to see them.

As much as pop culture's mantra (especially Disney's) is to continue to recycle beloved characters ad infinitum and never let things reach an endpoint, I also think there's value in stepping away from something for awhile and coming back to it after a break. Otherwise the bottom will be more likely to fall out completely and it will be more difficult recover its prior pull with the audience.

No Name

Heh. I remember watching that panel live... and laughing at the audible "Huh?"s when Bob excitedly proclaimed 'Where you'll meet KING THANOS!!!!' *crickets*
I still think that was the most bizarre reaction. People cheered when they announced a Disney aisle in Target stores a few years back… cheered when a giant Hulk in his endgame costume waddled on stage last year…. but aren’t excited about details on what should be their best Marvel ride? Weird crowd!

MarvelCharacterNerd

I still think that was the most bizarre reaction. People cheered when they announced a Disney aisle in Target stores a few years back… cheered when a giant Hulk in his endgame costume waddled on stage last year…. but aren’t excited about details on what should be their best Marvel ride? Weird crowd!
In fairness a) there was more goodwill toward anything the company did a few years back b) Hulk is very cool looking in person and was a happy surprise and c) people were DONE with Bob C. by this point - he could've announced the second coming of Walt and gotten crickets. :p

celluloid

It is kinda funny that as soon as Avatar 2 was a hit they latched on to it and mentioned it pretty quickly. Still no updates to what the new Marvel ride will be, especially since the Marvel movies haven't been doing very fantastic dollars-wise.

The fatigue is finally setting in with this gen. Needs a break and revival of eight to ten years since we are done with all of the phase 1-whatever main characters. I figure after Guardians wraps up this summer there will be the hits, but not the smashing blockbusters that the others were.

BasiltheBatLord

I think Disney is fumbling Marvel by continuing to push out product constantly, even though Endgame would have been a natural point to take a breather. While I don't follow the Marvel movies closely, the perception I get is that the newest movies aren't as strong as the ones before and audience fatigue is growing.

I get that it's a huge money maker for them, but I feel like what would ultimately be best for Marvel right now would be to take a few years off. Give the creative teams time to recharge and give the audience time to miss going to see them.

As much as pop culture's mantra (especially Disney's) is to continue to recycle beloved characters ad infinitum and never let things reach an endpoint, I also think there's value in stepping away from something for awhile and coming back to it after a break. Otherwise the bottom will be more likely to fall out completely and it will be more difficult recover its prior pull with the audience.
As someone who has never been a Marvel fan, it's weird to me how it took 15 years of constant sequels and re-makes before people only just now started going "Ok, NOW I'm tired!". To me, Marvel has been back-to-back rehashing ever since the beginning.

SuddenStorm

As someone who has never been a Marvel fan, it's weird to me how it took 15 years of constant sequels and re-makes before people only just now started going "Ok, NOW I'm tired!". To me, Marvel has been back-to-back rehashing ever since the beginning.

I'm still not sure it's fatigue, or if it's the fact that most of Marvel's recent films are not of the same quality of what came before. This phase has been mostly a miss with the critics, and audience scores have suffered as well.

I remember being stoked for Dr. Strange and the Multiverse of Madness and Thor Love and Thunder, and left disappointed after both of those. Apparently the new Ant Man kind of sucks.

I have no doubt if the movies were back to their old quality of storytelling the box office numbers would return.

MarvelCharacterNerd

They announce Hulk and he appears for a few days and disappears. How many millions did that cost to never be seen again?
Hulk was on Campus at DCA for two months and is going to be appearing at Avengers Campus Paris soon (announced at SXSW). I expect him to return to DCA whenever his character next appears onscreen.

The technology will allow plenty of other characters to appear in the parks as well, not just at Campus. But considering two of the previewed/publicized "body parts" when the project was in development were pretty clearly Thanos' hand and Wampa feet, I have a good feeling about this. :)

Phroobar

Hulk was on Campus at DCA for two months and is going to be appearing at Avengers Campus Paris soon (announced at SXSW). I expect him to return to DCA whenever his character next appears onscreen.

The technology will allow plenty of other characters to appear in the parks as well, not just at Campus. But considering two of the previewed/publicized "body parts" when the project was in development were pretty clearly Thanos' hand and Wampa feet, I have a good feeling about this. :)
Except they don't. Look at the Muppet Mobile Lab, R2-D2 and Lucky. They appeared and toured and then disappeared. If you were lucky, you saw them but most everyday guests never did. In the old days, it was easier to randomly catch Push roaming around Tomorrowland.

Besides, what is so amazing about a guy on stilts holding out stick arms?

celluloid

I'm still not sure it's fatigue, or if it's the fact that most of Marvel's recent films are not of the same quality of what came before. This phase has been mostly a miss with the critics, and audience scores have suffered as well.

I remember being stoked for Dr. Strange and the Multiverse of Madness and Thor Love and Thunder, and left disappointed after both of those. Apparently the new Ant Man kind of sucks.

I have no doubt if the movies were back to their old quality of storytelling the box office numbers would return.

It is not mutually exclusive. For example, Iron Man 2 or 3 would not hold up the same way in the box office if they were to come out now.

And it is taste, but a counter point would be Captain Marvel, that movie is nowhere near the quality of some of the others, including the latest Ant-Man sequel that have not done as well. The fatigue is a part of that vs the hype that Captain Marvel came out during.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Spider-Man 7 made it's biggest Box Office haul last year.

There are examples of franchises growing in profitability and examples of franchises shrinking in profitability.

To hold that franchising is always a losing proposition doesn't hold true in the face of counter-examples.

Every serialized TV series is an example of ongoing franchisement. Some don't last one season, others go for 5, or 10, or or forever (cf. The Simpsons).

If ongoing franchisement was always going to lead to fatigue, then The Office, and Friends, and the various CSIs and Laws and Orders wouldn't exist. And there wouldn't be hype about a John Wick 5 right now.

celluloid

Spider-Man 7 made it's biggest Box Office haul last year.

There are examples of franchises growing in profitability and examples of franchises shrinking in profitability.

To hold that franchising is always a losing proposition doesn't hold true in the face of counter-examples.

Every serialized TV series is an example of ongoing franchisement. Some don't last one season, others go for 5, or 10, or or forever (cf. The Simpsons).

If ongoing franchisement was always going to lead to fatigue, then The Office, and Friends, and the various CSIs and Laws and Orders wouldn't exist. And there wouldn't be hype about a John Wick 5 right now.

No one said it had to have fatigue. Just evidence that there is fatigue.
I think people are aware that quality kick starts and maintains success.

truecoat

Except they don't. Look at the Muppet Mobile Lab, R2-D2 and Lucky. They appeared and toured and then disappeared. If you were lucky, you saw them but most everyday guests never did. In the old days, it was easier to randomly catch Push roaming around Tomorrowland.

Besides, what is so amazing about a guy on stilts holding out stick arms?

I was going to say the same thing when I researched the Muppet Mobile Lab. I guess they moved it around to different parks but I still think the point is valid. Recently, they introduced a new robotic character at SXSW. It's on rollerskates and maybe had rabbit ears? All I could think of was that this would be in the park for a couple of weeks and disappear.

CaptinEO

I was going to say the same thing when I researched the Muppet Mobile Lab. I guess they moved it around to different parks but I still think the point is valid. Recently, they introduced a new robotic character at SXSW. It's on rollerskates and maybe had rabbit ears? All I could think of was that this would be in the park for a couple of weeks and disappear.

Is that spiderman robotic they slingshot around still a thing?

CaptinEO

I have reason to believe Pandora is taking over Grizzly Peak including the Soarin Theater and Grizzly River Run.

The forest theming in this area will be adapted to Pandora with future tentative plans to retheme the Grand Californian into an immersive Pandora themed hotel.

My source:
It sounds like the worst integration of IP possible so is something Disney would actually do.

celluloid

In reference to the bunny figure: At the end of the day the tech is great, but the impact is what matters. That tech could be the start of something really cool for a free roaming character. Honestly, I think it has more potential to have a scene area in a ride where it safely but amazingly freely roams and has fluid motion with no anchoring. Then a charging base it hits at night.

I don't want to be a cynic, but I know the impact matters. Besides a well done sound trigger system and a well built puppet frame, the Raptor Encounter at Universal is not high tech, it is very well done, and pleases people with minimal tech downtime as it takes the theme park daily abuse that I am curious of the free roaming AA would have.

Does anyone else remember the theme park travel channel special(and perhaps Modern Marvels showed it at onepoint too) that ended with what Imaigneering was working on for the future and it showed a group in a room stairing at the front as if watching a screen or theater and a wall came down to the side where a robotic four legged creature started walking in.

I always wondered what that was a mock up for.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom